Not open for further replies.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This all depends on the internal weight of the trans components. The lock-up converters are really heavy.

Ok. Did some research. I did remember correctly. Gen 2 (1992-1995) Taurus SHO had a 3.2l v6 for the automatic and a 3.0l for the manual. HP ratings were the same but the 3.2 had 15 more ft/lb of torque. It was later found that Ford had put a less aggressive cam grind in the 3.2 than the 3.0. A cam swap, the 3.0 cam into the 3.2 motor was worth some extra hp.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok. Did some research. I did remember correctly. Gen 2 (1992-1995) Taurus SHO had a 3.2l v6 for the automatic and a 3.0l for the manual. HP ratings were the same but the 3.2 had 15 more ft/lb of torque. It was later found that Ford had put a less aggressive cam grind in the 3.2 than the 3.0. A cam swap, the 3.0 cam into the 3.2 motor was worth some extra hp.

I laid awake for a good while last night cussing myself out. Then I realized I wanted the car drive-able. Not building a full on street fighter which is why I pulled the dome pistons out to tame the engine down.
    It is good to discuss these things though.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

This is dangerous take it away

Dangerous is right on this one. I suspect that the roof and trunklid may be the only decent things on this one. Rust thru on the top of the front fenders, along the weld line on the lower rear quarters, the bad doors, etc indicate this thing is hiding a LOT of work. The engine compartment does appear to be pretty solid though. I love the 69's but being a base car it's not going to be worth enough to warrant saving. I'd bet it's a "barn find" that they paid 2 or 3 thousand for and have it priced well enough that they'll get their asking price with little trouble but someone is buying a "heap o' trouble boy for shore"!

I do love the "was running when parked" part though; weren't they all??!!:rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dangerous is right on this one. I suspect that the roof and trunklid may be the only decent things on this one. Rust thru on the top of the front fenders, along the weld line on the lower rear quarters, the bad doors, etc indicate this thing is hiding a LOT of work. The engine compartment does appear to be pretty solid though. I love the 69's but being a base car it's not going to be worth enough to warrant saving. I'd bet it's a "barn find" that they paid 2 or 3 thousand for and have it priced well enough that they'll get their asking price with little trouble but someone is buying a "heap o' trouble boy for shore"!

I do love the "was running when parked" part though; weren't they all??!!:rolleyes:

I guess I need to go back and look harder.....:):

Edit....I did not scroll the pics. This thing has been beat on pretty hard. Yes lots of hidden gems. No way $7500

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got a call from my guy today. Trans will be done by Friday.
    Non-lock up converter rated 2800 stall. Heavy car, line lock or foot brake, I am betting 3K easy

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Gonna put the stock mufflers back on tomorrow. X-pipe and the Flowmasters 40s just doesn’t sound quite right.

MUCH better

Not up on the new (to me) designations but back in the day they had 2 chamber and 3 chamber mufflers. The two chambers only satisfied the requirement for a "muffler" at many local tracks but the 3 chamber mufflers really toned it down to a deep rumble. They barked quite nicely when you asked them to but I prefer them on a street car.

Looking at Flowmasters website I think I'd probably go with their 50 Delta series nowadays. Hard to tell from a chart but I LOVE the deep rumble of the old 3 chamber flows!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The 40's seem to just make "noise." I prefer sound and tone. Just like pipes on Harleys. I hate straight pipes. But a good set of Bub's sound awesome.

Look into Dynomax or maybe even Borla. It's tough but worth it when you do find the right ones.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I've become a really big magnaflow fan. Also, driveshaft should be done this week, clutch is here. Getting so close to moving on it's own again

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    The 40s sounded great when I still had the cats on there, but after the x-pipe it was just way too raspy. In my mind, the 4.6 is supposed to sound a certain way and it just wasn’t cutting it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The 40s sounded great when I still had the cats on there, but after the x-pipe it was just way too raspy. In my mind, the 4.6 is supposed to sound a certain way and it just wasn’t cutting it.

Just like to old 5.0's, even my GF can identify a 5.0 mustang from blocks away just by the tone. Funny thing is that it really doesn't matter which muffler they're running, they still sound like a 5.0!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes 3 chambers for the street. Minimum 2.5"s on pipe OD all the way back on anything 350 CI's and under. Even a stroker.

Big blocks need 3's at least.

I had dual chamber on the 65 Biscayne as it was a serious piece designated to just be pissed off mean and evil. I have the headers for the 64 and am still mulling over mufflers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom