• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Mine has upper and lower control arms, shocks going straight up from the back of the axle and coil springs perched on top of the axle.

Brad - the Cobras of my generation Mustang were IRS so different wheel hop issue. The plan is Vortech and gears, yes it is a very popular combo for the 99-04 generation with the motor being so limited on power in NA form.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Realistically how much cruising are you planning to do? How much comfort do you require?
    Back in the day we used to put urethane bushings on everything. They are a huge improvement over stock rubber. IF you are looking to build something a little more serious and want adjustability then you need to go with spherical bearings and rod ends. Regardless of how serious you want to make it, at a minimum you need to have weld in subframe connectors. A few other suspension mods would be great but you don't have to do it all at once

It’s not a daily driver for me. Just a weekend toy. I’m not too concerned with ride harshness.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Oh yeah forgot the Cobras were IRS!

My 95 GT had wheel hop when new it would shake like crazy I lost a fog light on the dragsrip because of it.

Are the whipple style superchargers a lot more money? I have witnessed some impressive low end antics with a 2V and the Kenne Bell supercharger.

You tube says that will put you about where you wanna be!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KcRBMJKP59s

Last edited:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Oh yeah forgot the Cobras were IRS!

My 95 GT had wheel hop when new it would shake like crazy I lost a fog light on the dragsrip because of it.

Are the whipple style superchargers a lot more money? I have witnessed some impressive low end antics with a 2V and the Kenne Bell supercharger.

You tube says that will put you about where you wanna be!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KcRBMJKP59s

Yes they are a lot more. Sound awesome though.

The Vortech kit for my car is $3200. The Kenne Bell kit is $5000

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    ‘04 GT
    NA 4.6 SOHC
    5-Speed Tremec T-3650
    Solid rear axle

That is what I thought you had said before. Now, I'm tracking. Here would be my recommendations. Subframe connectors, urethane bushings on everything upfront, on the rear either single or double adjustable lower control arms (double is best but usually uses rod ends), double adjustable upper control arms, and I would upgrade to Strange adjustable rear shocks (bolt in). Then if you have a rear sway bar urethane bushings on it too. When I worked at Kenny Brown this was common bolt on stuff. There are some other things that can be done depending if your desire is mainly going straight or burning up the turns.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is what I thought you had said before. Now, I'm tracking. Here would be my recommendations. Subframe connectors, urethane bushings on everything upfront, on the rear either single or double adjustable lower control arms (double is best but usually uses rod ends), double adjustable upper control arms, and I would upgrade to Strange adjustable rear shocks (bolt in). Then if you have a rear sway bar urethane bushings on it too. When I worked at Kenny Brown this was common bolt on stuff. There are some other things that can be done depending if your desire is mainly going straight or burning up the turns.

I forgot you spun wrench's at KB's.
    The mods you list are pretty standard for any marque. Get rid of the rubber. Especially older rubber.
    If you really want wicked noisy hard hits do the aly pucks I mentioned up thread. Wow. No give. Think 3 link.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I forgot you spun wrench's at KB's.
    The mods you list are pretty standard for any marque. Get rid of the rubber. Especially older rubber.
    If you really want wicked noisy hard hits do the aly pucks I mentioned up thread. Wow. No give. Think 3 link.

Heck yeah! If CP doesn't mind feeling those good vibrations and is willing to give up the smooth ride then he should go with double adjustable upper & lower control arms with rod ends on the rear and get some spherical bearings to replace the rubber upper control arm mounts on the rear end too. Take all the flex out and she will give those wicked hard hits you can feel in the kidney.

Racecraft inc, QA1and UPR make really nice stuff. Just sayin

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Heck yeah! If CP doesn't mind feeling those good vibrations and is willing to give up the smooth ride then he should go with double adjustable upper & lower control arms with rod ends on the rear and get some spherical bearings to replace the rubber upper control arm mounts on the rear end too. Take all the flex out and she will give those wicked hard hits you can feel in the kidney.

Racecraft inc, QA1and UPR make really nice stuff. Just sayin

I just picked up a set of double adj. QA-1's or my 64. I ran QA's on all my real hot hot rods.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Building any car gets expensive. Don't let that discourage you. Stay reasonable and make improvement in steps. Strange bolt is Mustang shocks for 99-04 are $71 each from Jegs and offer 10 adjustments. Sure there are better but they are still a big improvement over stock.

Heck a set of non-adj. 50/50 drag shocks are better than stock.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom