• Status
    Not open for further replies.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Building any car gets expensive. Don't let that discourage you. Stay reasonable and make improvement in steps. Strange bolt is Mustang shocks for 99-04 are $71 each from Jegs and offer 10 adjustments. Sure there are better but they are still a big improvement over stock.

The GF and I were out in the shop one day and she asked me how much it would take to finish the car so I threw her a valid guesstimate. Her response was that she though I had all the major components other than the tires, wheels and paint. When I told her that 1/2 that estimate was just tires and wheels she was shocked. After I told her how much I had already invested in that thing I posted a photo of up thread she then KNEW I was mentally deficient!:whistle:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The GF and I were out in the shop one day and she asked me how much it would take to finish the car so I threw her a valid guesstimate. Her response was that she though I had all the major components other than the tires, wheels and paint. When I told her that 1/2 that estimate was just tires and wheels she was shocked. After I told her how much I had already invested in that thing I posted a photo of up thread she then KNEW I was mentally deficient!:whistle:

My spouse was indoctrinated into the insanity before we were married. A friend had a 1964 Chevy Custom 100. It was the precursor to the current SUV as we now know it. It was a 2 door sliding side windows station wagon tail gate model in 4WD. It had some work done but needed a butt load more to be street worthy and more on that to be trail worthy. The trans was shot (T-400) and the small block was tired. He wanted 2K for it and the wheels/tires were brand new...Monster mudders 15X44's on new wheels. That was an easy $900 at that time maybe a grand.
    I had a grand and really wanted the truck so she took 1K out of the bank and off we went. When we got there my buddy with the wrecker was waiting. She was curious why we needed a wrecker. When she 1st saw it I thought she was going to cry. Seriously.

6 months and more money than I told her we were bombing around in it. I do mean bombing. It was a beast and that became its name. Since then she has never questioned my vision. My decisions maybe but not my vision.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Depending on ones perspective which can vary it's either an obsession a disease or mental disability or a gift...sometimes more than one at once

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    22496308_10212480818268520_6320546565487471732_o.jpg

got the bed wood stained and sealed. Yesterday we got the dump truck trans out and the tko test fitted to measure the drive shaft.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    TKO-600. 4 usable gears and a .64 overdrive. Make use of those 4.10's

Sweet.
    I guess I did not realize it was a 3 peddle rig. Good on you man. Race on.

If I would have done my research before diving head 1st into a 4L60E OD auto I would have opted to hang that 3rd peddle in my 64. The cost would be close between the 2 choices except for the parts I am sure to have broken if I did so.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I’m not worried about breaking stuff yet. I would be surprised if this motor made 200 to the wheels. Stuff will start braking when ibrebuild for 400.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I’m not worried about breaking stuff yet. I would be surprised if this motor made 200 to the wheels. Stuff will start braking when ibrebuild for 400.

Not sure what will be my final drive HP #s but I do know I am just short of 500 at the crank. I am not on top of the power loss through the 4L60. Guess I need to warm up my Google-Fu or make some calls...:):

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Not sure what will be my final drive HP #s but I do know I am just short of 500 at the crank. I am not on top of the power loss through the 4L60. Guess I need to warm up my Google-Fu or make some calls...:):

Just did a real quick search and found one application of 36 hp loss between a T-56 and the 4L60.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I’ll be shooting for 400 at the crank when it’s time. Take a 15% driveline loss and that puts a 3400lb truck with right around 340-350 wheel hp. I’m sure that will make me smile a lot. Wait, it already does that. We’re planning on 4-pt harnesses and the stock bench seat for next year. Just because.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I’ll be shooting for 400 at the crank when it’s time. Take a 15% driveline loss and that puts a 3400lb truck with right around 340-350 wheel hp. I’m sure that will make me smile a lot. Wait, it already does that. We’re planning on 4-pt harnesses and the stock bench seat for next year. Just because.

We regularly achieved 425 with simple none radical mods. Takes the proper components but man it is so much fun.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The 4L60 being the most loss...???

Yes. Dyno run with the T-56 was 405 hp. With the slushbox, it was 368. Here's the text. It's from a Z-28 forum.
    My car is a 95 Z28, Advanced Induction Econport heads, GM847 cam and all the essential bolt ons. Last year through the stock 10-bolt with 4.11 gears and a T56 with a mcleod clutch it made 404.8rwhp, 365.1rwtq, SAE corrected of course.

New setup is a built 4L60E, PI Vigilante 3500 stall, same rear-end, driveshaft, wheels, PCM tune and mods. Yesterday it made 368.0rwhp and 353.9rwtq

Not very scientific but I didn't look that hard either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom