• Status
    Not open for further replies.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Well thats pretty nasty.... all day trip to get gas, couldn't believe the conditions or the other drivers....

All fueled up but that front end sounds like a box of rocks when I put it in 4X4 soooo I guess once this stuff clears up I'll be spending a day at the mechanic's...

Hate it when stuff breaks when you need to use it....

and I think I'll be sick tomorrow..... cause like I said before this stuff is nasty....

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    My neighbor is driving back from Oak Lawn right now. His daughter was in a head-on collision a few days ago. As of 10 minutes ago he was still in IL.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Somebody just posted this on Facebook:

Crown point PD said there 40-50 cars stuck in the snow on 109th. And national Guard was called out. 3 hour ETA. have to get to them before the temps drop. Too many for the cops to get to.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well after a few years of holding out I broke down and bought a blower today. 24", 180cc, two stage Craftsman. Worked pretty well, but still worn out. That wind will beat you up, and its creating 2ft drifts out here. Got the driveway blown as well as the sidewalk and street. Don't know if I'm going back out tonight, it is dropping FAST and the wind is picking up.

One of my best purchases was my craftsman blower. At first, i thought it was too big. NOPE.
    I'm always helping people out.

Looks downright calm there.

That's the lee side.
    North end of the caster is hidden.

Just can't beat a two stage snowblower in this weather.

Yup. Go big or go home.

It's official, work called and said we're closed tomorrow, love that I work for a company that puts employee safety before the almighty dollar!

If you have a hear attack here, they kick you out of the way to keep the steel flowing.

Those of us that have worked out at the mills KNOW to keep several days worth of canned food in one of our lockers in case we were to get snowed in. It also works for those forced doubles as well.

Lots f food. Rather be at home.

Oh yes you can. Heated and air
    For the win

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Looks like an extra day of vacation. Wasnt going to read any meters tomorrow anyway, but now I can do other stuff like sit around and do nothing because there isnt anything to do.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think it's more of a "Please don't go out so that we don't have to put our lives in danger to come rescue you." I don't see what they could do to enforce it. The link that LH provided pretty much confirms this ... an Official is quoted as asking people to adhere to this order. BTW ... if they come get you, they will not pull your car out or take you home. You will be taken to a warming shelter.

From the NWS (for Lake County and NWI): "If you attempt to travel, you are putting your life in your hands."

This. Ive been looking It up. As far as I can tell, they can refuse to rescue. If stuck they can take you to a specified place. They can charge you for rescue $.
    But.... no where does it say against the law to travel. But IANAL

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Did you really think your relief would be nice and come out in this weather? Can you find a warm and dry place to sleep on their dime?
    Only if I want to risk getting fired.
    When they call me, there are only minutes available to me to keep them from shutting down.
    Right now, because of several steel "breakouts" we are under a close eye.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm not much of a praying person, but NW IN needs all the help it can get tonight.

It's not that bad.
    People have the best equipment and tech ever. Gas heated homes with automatic thermostats. CO detectors. Electric heaters. 4 wheel drive. Knowledge on the internet.

And this storm is not even in my top 10.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Was looking at a 208cc 26" Toro but after seeing it in person thought it was a tad too big, I think the 24" 180cc was the right one to get. 109th is deadlocked right in front of our subdivision (east of 65). Snowdrifts up to 2-3 ft at our house...I'm not going back out to fight mother nature.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom