• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As much a lesson to myself, as an equipment problem, I had an ordeal over the last weekend.

Buddy of mine was over and we were discussing pistol red dot sights. I had an example to show him in my bedside pistol safe. Went to open the safe and I couldn't get in. The keypad buttons were just barely chirping the normal push tones. I thought the batteries must be low, so I hunted down the emergency key. The barrel type key didn't seem to be the right one, as it didn't turn the lock assembly. Buddy didn't get to see the example pistol, perturbed I put off opening the safe until later, (thinking possibly pry bars and angle grinders.) :xmad:

Eventually later, I got the safe opened by fiddling and fiddling with the touchpad. Turns out that corrosion had set into the battery box and seemingly stiffened up the manual lock mechanism also. The pistol inside had some mildew signs on the grip also. :n00b: I changed the batteries after cleaning up the battery box corrosion, while remembering that I had battery corrosion last time battery change was needed. I cleaned the terminals better this time and sprayed with silicone in the process. Testing the removed batteries showed hardly any voltage drop, so corrosion was for sure the issue. As I was cleaning up the battery box, the tones on the touchpad gradually became louder and louder, as the silicone and brush helped to remove corrosion. Likewise, the lock assembly loosened up after a silicone bathing and working it.

It had been months since I had accessed the safe. I live in a breezy well placed old farm house that mostly doesn't need the A/C, so I hardly ever use it. Obviously humidity is something I need to be aware of better? I think I'll find an appropriate sized desiccant to live in the box and I listed "storage corrosion inspection" as a monthly electronic calendar reminder.

Icing on the fail cake, the Holosun 509T RDS woke up and worked as should, BUT had a random blink, indicating need for a new battery. :rolleyes:

:ugh:

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Now.. there are two types of corrosion in work here. And they are different beasts.

There is the worse type of corrosion from batteries leaking. This crap is insidious and will eat up metal quicker then rust ever could. worse yet. It will eat up all manner of metals, not just ferrous metals. It's like cancer for electronic devices. Worse yet, it "crawls" it will absolutely follow the metal up into all manner of hard to get places.. like I said, crap is insidious.

I hate to say it, but without a complete teardown of the device, and neutralization of the crap from the leaking batteries where ever it got to.. I would consider this safe extremely compromised and suspect. It sounds like its already getting up into a lot of places.

Its not an easy thing, but you want to get it cleaned up with something that will neutralize the base, which means a weak acid. This sounds arse weird. But its how pH works.

You seem to be confusing it with humidity and rust. Different beast..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Now.. there are two types of corrosion in work here. And they are different beasts.

There is the worse type of corrosion from batteries leaking. This crap is insidious and will eat up metal quicker then rust ever could. worse yet. It will eat up all manner of metals, not just ferrous metals. It's like cancer for electronic devices. Worse yet, it "crawls" it will absolutely follow the metal up into all manner of hard to get places.. like I said, crap is insidious.

I hate to say it, but without a complete teardown of the device, and neutralization of the crap from the leaking batteries where ever it got to.. I would consider this safe extremely compromised and suspect. It sounds like its already getting up into a lot of places.

Its not an easy thing, but you want to get it cleaned up with something that will neutralize the base, which means a weak acid. This sounds arse weird. But its how pH works.

You seem to be confusing it with humidity and rust. Different beast..

Right. It was the batteries before the recent problems that were leaking, not these. Corrosion had spread though, from the battery box and further into the interior of the mechanism. I sprayed the whole exterior mess down with WD40 brand spray silicone.

We will see if I can still continue to easily get back into the safe in the upcoming days or worst case in a month, when I get a calendar notification. If the operation of the safe changes much I may have to investigate deeper cleaning and or replacement.

:yesway:

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Use lithium batteries. They are more expensive but will last and not likely to leak. Is your "emergency access" worth a couple more bucks?

Swabbing with vinegar or lemon juice will clean up the battery leaks.

I myself don't care for the cheaper electronic locks and have a couple Amsec pistol safes with no battery Simplex locks.

Top Bottom