• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    That's sound advice and all but I have to disagree with the highlighted. That's like saying perfecting the fundementals and you can shoot any long gun well. I'm sorry, but theres a difference between a bolt gun and a lever gun and an AR and a machine gun. Just like theres a difference between DA/SA and DAO. Fundamentals are one thing, but being able to transition between two diffent types of firearms like it was nothing is hard for most normal people. Not everyone's an expert marksman that can shoot a fly off the wall at 1000yrds with a Glock.

And I will get training when I have the money to do so. I've been getting some informal training here and there. I don't need a certificate to show I know what I'm doing. :twocents:

Sorry, Ryan, he's right, you are not. Perfect the fundamentals, and it won't matter one bit what kind of gun you pick up. Regardless of whether you load the next round via working a bolt or lever, or the gun does it for you, when it comes time to pull the trigger, the fundamentals of sight alignment, trigger control, and breath control don't alter one little bit.

Same is true of handguns. I can freely switch back and forth between a DA revolver, a DA/SA semi-auto, a SA semi-auto, and the striker fired guns, and shoot about equally well. The fundamentals of what I must do are exactly the same. The mechanical aspects of the gun are irrelevant.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    :+1:

Definately sounds like you are limp wristing it.

Any time a gun needs to be held a certain way, squeezed, kissed or petted to make it work, that's a gun design flaw. Hand on the grips, finger on the trigger, squeeze and it should go bang at the very least. Now accuracy is dependant on a lot more but this "limp wristing" causing FTF conditions is just bullchips trying to excuse something wrong with the gun or the ammo.

Any gun with 9 pages of baloney on how to make it go bang is not a competent combat weapon so that "combat accuracy" crap for an excuse is totally out the window allong with "hold your tongue just right and don't limp wrist with a dime on the sight ..."

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    :laugh: Yea, just look at this thread! I give glock owners a hard time even though I'm now one myself. They don't seem to have a sense of humor about their precious pistols. I could have just as easily bought a Sig or 1911 instead and could have had the same issues. As a matter of fact, my wife owns a Sig P250 and I'm about a good a shot with it as I am this Glock. :):

(I know, get some training. Yada yada yada)

Yup, get some training and some practice. Frankly, and not being a smart alec, you admit to being new to handguns. It wouldn't be all that bad an idea to sell the Glock or the BDE and use the money for a .22 pistol and 8 or 10 bricks of ammo, then hit the range and bullseye shoot.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yup, get some training and some practice. Frankly, and not being a smart alec, you admit to being new to handguns. It wouldn't be all that bad an idea to sell the Glock or the BDE and use the money for a .22 pistol and 8 or 10 bricks of ammo, then hit the range and bullseye shoot.

It took me too long to be able to save the money to get my guns. I'll just save back the money for training because I'm not betting on the future job market. Besides, that Baby Eagle was a milestone in my life and has more sentimental value than the money I could get for it. The Glock, meh, I'll use it to practice with. My BDE will remain my EDC.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    that "combat accuracy" crap for an excuse is totally out the window allong with "hold your tongue just right and don't limp wrist with a dime on the sight ..."
    Hey, I stand by the "dime on the sight" drill - it works, especially for anyone who's not used to the Glock trigger. (I've evidently got some work to do on tongue placement, though.) LOL

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    SE, do you realize this is basically an entire thread devoted to learning how to get used to glocks nasty trigger. I see the comment all the time, "When I first got my glock I hated the trigger but now I like it." Why would you want to get used to a bad trigger. Oh, the glock guys can give all kind of ways to spend your time and money improving the trigger or you could just get a gun with a good trigger to begin with.

What everyone is saying about trigger control is true. However, the fundamentals are a heck of a lot easier when the gun is worth shooting. The best thing you could do with the G19 is drop it in a bucket of cement and throw it in the nearest body of water. Thereby swearing off glocks for good. I'll donate the cement and bucket, the body of water is up to you.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    SE, do you realize this is basically an entire thread devoted to learning how to get used to glocks nasty trigger. I see the comment all the time, "When I first got my glock I hated the trigger but now I like it." Why would you want to get used to a bad trigger. Oh, the glock guys can give all kind of ways to spend your time and money improving the trigger or you could just get a gun with a good trigger to begin with.

What everyone is saying about trigger control is true. However, the fundamentals are a heck of a lot easier when the gun is worth shooting. The best thing you could do with the G19 is drop it in a bucket of cement and throw it in the nearest body of water. Thereby swearing off glocks for good. I'll donate the cement and bucket, the body of water is up to you.
    IMHO, I wouldn't call it a bad trigger. It's just different, and requires some getting used to.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    IMHO, I wouldn't call it a bad trigger. It's just different, and requires some getting used to.

+1 I had never fired a striker-fired handgun in my life until my Glock, not bad, just far different than the DAO and SA/DA I was used to. Now I love the short, positive reset and overall feel.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Compared to the trigger on a 1911 (even bargain basement ones like our Rock Islands), a 92FS, a Smith revolver, the Glock/XD/M&P/SR9 etc. trigger is horrendous. It feels like the triggers on the my old toy dart guns. Sadly, these are becoming the standard. Hopefully, some folks will, someday, find a way to make a striker fired, "safe action" type gun with a decent trigger. I understand the "Pro" trigger job on the M&Ps is really sweet, though I've not had the pleasure of trying them out.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Do you really want a match trigger on a carry gun?
    I have a 3.5 lb. connector in my Glock 30 and I thnk it's a great carry weapon with that set-up. I wouldn't call that combination a match trigger, though. (In fact, I don't think I could ever use the words "Glock" and "match trigger" in the same sentence!) LOL

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I want don't want a light light trigger on my carry gun, no. I do want a smooth trigger and one that doesn't take ten miles to pull back to make it go bang though.

Top Bottom