• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I cant wait to get my first hand gun a Glock 19, I should "do a deal" in the next week or so

but tell me, are teh sites supposed to be set when you buy the gun?
    The Glocks come with fixed sights, so you're good to go when you open the box. In fact, (although I love my 1911s too), I would say that the Glocks are probably the most "out-of-the-box-ready" handguns on the planet. (IMHO)

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Thanks, I am new to hand guns,
    You are more than welcome!! And you've come to the right place - I've been shooting almost my entire life, I'm a certified instructor and I run my own firearms training company, yet I've learned a tremendous amount of valuable information in the mere week that I've been on this site. It really is an amazing resource. Enjoy! (And be safe.)

Last edited:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    It is a helluva shot. I'd love to watch someone do it. I'm a pretty good shot with my BDE, maybe I'll try it some time.

What grain would you recommend for a 9mm at that distance? I haven't tried 124gr since it got broke in, but I could always try it.

Grain doesn't really matter, but I did it with WWB 115 gr.

I suspect that some here will not believe me, but I have done it plenty of times before and today I had two witnesses. One is a member here.

You should learn to shoot close before you try to shoot at longer distances. Perfect your fundamentals and you will be able to shoot ANY pistol well. This whole, "I can't shoot xxx gun well but I really rock with my xxx." is crap. You either understand the fundamentals of marksmanship or you don't. You can either align your sights and press your trigger correctly or you can't. Sure, some guns are easier to shoot well, but the process remains the same.

I'll give you the same old advice. Stop buying guns and put some of your money into training. Owning more guns and ammo does not make you safer. Learn to use the guns you already have.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Grain doesn't really matter, but I did it with WWB 115 gr.

I suspect that some here will not believe me, but I have done it plenty of times before and today I had two witnesses. One is a member here.

You should learn to shoot close before you try to shoot at longer distances. Perfect your fundamentals and you will be able to shoot ANY pistol well. This whole, "I can't shoot xxx gun well but I really rock with my xxx." is crap. You either understand the fundamentals of marksmanship or you don't. You can either align your sights and press your trigger correctly or you can't. Sure, some guns are easier to shoot well, but the process remains the same.

I'll give you the same old advice. Stop buying guns and put some of your money into training. Owning more guns and ammo does not make you safer. Learn to use the guns you already have.

That's sound advice and all but I have to disagree with the highlighted. That's like saying perfecting the fundementals and you can shoot any long gun well. I'm sorry, but theres a difference between a bolt gun and a lever gun and an AR and a machine gun. Just like theres a difference between DA/SA and DAO. Fundamentals are one thing, but being able to transition between two diffent types of firearms like it was nothing is hard for most normal people. Not everyone's an expert marksman that can shoot a fly off the wall at 1000yrds with a Glock.

And I will get training when I have the money to do so. I've been getting some informal training here and there. I don't need a certificate to show I know what I'm doing. :twocents:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    When I do I'll be sure to fax you, mail you, and email you a copy of my certificate. Until then I'll be happy with the informal training I get from the people who do this for a living. :)

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    That's sound advice and all but I have to disagree with the highlighted. That's like saying perfecting the fundementals and you can shoot any long gun well. I'm sorry, but theres a difference between a bolt gun and a lever gun and an AR and a machine gun. Just like theres a difference between DA/SA and DAO. Fundamentals are one thing, but being able to transition between two diffent types of firearms like it was nothing is hard for most normal people. Not everyone's an expert marksman that can shoot a fly off the wall at 1000yrds with a Glock.

And I will get training when I have the money to do so. I've been getting some informal training here and there. I don't need a certificate to show I know what I'm doing. :twocents:
    You make a completely valid point, but I agree with Shay, and I'll try to provide a bit more explanation as to why. In my experience, most modern handguns shoot where you point them. As a result, the vast majority of problems with accuracy can be traced back to one variable - the shooter. So in order for any of us to be the most accurate shooter that we can be, we need to first focus on the fundamental skills of pistol shooting. Once we perfect those skills, those skills will account for 99% or our accuracy with any given handgun.

Of course, that doesn't mean that some hanguns aren't more accurate than others. It also doesn't mean that some of us aren't just naturally more comfortable (and therefore somewhat more accurate) with one particular model of handgun versus all the others. But it does mean that the essential fundamentals of pistol shooting remain constant - no matter what pistol we're shooting.

Again, I hope this didn't sound critical in any way. It's just my very humble opinion - based on teaching a lot of folks to shoot over the years.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    When I do I'll be sure to fax you, mail you, and email you a copy of my certificate. Until then I'll be happy with the informal training I get from the people who do this for a living. :)

Why is it with all your informal training from the people who do this for a living you still can't hit your target with your new Glock?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You make a completely valid point, but I agree with Shay, and I'll try to provide a bit more explanation as to why. In my experience, most modern handguns shoot where you point them. As a result, the vast majority of problems with accuracy can be traced back to one variable - the shooter. So in order for any of us to be the most accurate shooter that we can be, we need to first focus on the fundamental skills of pistol shooting. Once we perfect those skills, those skills will account for 99% or our accuracy with any given handgun.

Of course, that doesn't mean that some hanguns aren't more accurate than others. It also doesn't mean that some of us aren't just naturally more comfortable (and therefore somewhat more accurate) with one particular model of handgun versus all the others. But it does mean that the essential fundamentals of pistol shooting remain constant - no matter what pistol we're shooting.

Again, I hope this didn't sound critical in any way. It's just my very humble opinion - based on teaching a lot of folks to shoot over the years.

No, I agree, but it's hard for me to transition from one to the other is all. I've put about 750 rounds through my BDE versus 75 with the Glock. If I can shoot through the same hole at 10yrds with the BDE I should be able to with the Glock right? No, because the actions are different. That's just me though. I'm not perfect of course and obviously I'm not a big pistol shooter. I am a rifle shooter though and have practiced extensively with most variations. From that experiance I can only conclude that Fundementals account for much of the accuracy, but that the different actions and trigger pulls also have a lot to do with it.

Applying that experiance to pistol shooting, all seems to remain the same. The longer trigger pull of the glock vs my BDE is a big variable to me because I'm not experianced at all with DAO. I've owned them, but not longer enough to train properly with them. I just don't like the trigger pull.

I do appreciate the knowledge and I'm just conveying my own experiances being a novice pistol shooter.

Why is it with all your informal training from the people who do this for a living you still can't hit your target with your new Glock?

:n00b:

Could it be because I haven't trained with this pistol and this was the first time EVER shooting a Glock? :dunno:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    "Either they are inaccurate as all beat hell or I just ain't used to the CRAPPY trigger!!!! "
    "Keep in mind I've only been shooting pistols for about a year or so now"
    "and obviously I'm not a big pistol shooter."
    "When I do I'll be sure to fax you, mail you, and email you a copy of my certificate. Until then I'll be happy with the informal training I get from the people who do this for a living."

There you go, 5 pages to make a full circle of Mall-cop BS. Always a good read! You have my 16 year old nephew laughing, and he's had training!!

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Come on folks. Why do you want to argue with some one seeking help from the members of this board? If you don't have something helpful to contribute, just leave it alone. SE-I own only Glocks. Having gotten used to the trigger and lack of external safety, I have no desire to go anywhere else. I love my G17. I have issues with my G30SF because it doesn't function as advertised so Glock is not always "perfection". Anyway, the best shooting tip I ever got was to trigger with the tip of your finger rather than with the first joint. If you do the latter, you will tend to shoot low left because with the long travel, you will inevitably pull the gun off point of aim.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    "Either they are inaccurate as all beat hell or I just ain't used to the CRAPPY trigger!!!! "
    "Keep in mind I've only been shooting pistols for about a year or so now"
    "and obviously I'm not a big pistol shooter."
    "When I do I'll be sure to fax you, mail you, and email you a copy of my certificate. Until then I'll be happy with the informal training I get from the people who do this for a living."

There you go, 5 pages to make a full circle of Mall-cop BS. Always a good read! You have my 16 year old nephew laughing, and he's had training!!

If all you've done is come into this thread to insult me please leave. You are not wanted nor is your bs called for. I'm glad you get a kick out of my experiances. You'd probably also make fun of a fat kid eating cake wouldn't you?

Take your crap somewhere else because no one wants to hear your childish babble. I've neg repped you and now I will not address you further. Good day.

js_silveradoss

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    I had the same problem when i first got my G22. 15 round didnt even hit a paper plate @ 15 Ft!! I know i dont suck that bad. Shot it again. Much improved. The hard trigger pull is throwing me off. The more i use it the better im getting. It is different from other pistols i have shot. I definatly like it. Good weapon!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I had the same problem when i first got my G22. 15 round didnt even hit a paper plate @ 15 Ft!! I know i dont suck that bad. Shot it again. Much improved. The hard trigger pull is throwing me off. The more i use it the better im getting. It is different from other pistols i have shot. I definatly like it. Good weapon!

Glad to know I'm not the only one! :) I know I just need to practice with it more. I like the Glock but eventually I'm going to replace the trigger bar. I will wait until I get used to it though.

I do have one question though.

Can the G19 accept G17 mags? I know the reverse would be impossible, but i was just curious.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom