• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have recently come to the conclusion that it would likely pay for us all to figure how to make a Glock work well in our own hands. Like the AR or AK in a war environment, the Glock may well be what's laying on the ground in ours.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Practice practice practice! The trigger gets some getting used to, but now I love it.

Or, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for you :D

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    LoL I know what limpwristing is. I wasn't doing it. Had I taken more time with it and put more than 75rnds down range I'm sure I'd had it happen again. We'll find out next time I take it to the range.

GunLawyer, that's some good advice I'll have to try tonight. My original sights weren't the front blade type, but the triangle front dot. I did replace them with Ameriglo Night sights though so it now has a front blade that I could try this on.

And for the record, I figured the dry-firing part out because you HAVE to dry-fire the gun for take down. Any gun that you'd have to do that had better be okay to dry fire! :laugh:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    And for the record, I figured the dry-firing part out because you HAVE to dry-fire the gun for take down. Any gun that you'd have to do that had better be okay to dry fire! :laugh:
    Great point!! Sorry for stating the obvious! (Then again, if I didn't occassionally state the obvious, I'd probably have a lot less to say!!)

:D

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Great point!! Sorry for stating the obvious! (Then again, if I didn't occassionally state the obvious, I'd probably have a lot less to say!!)

:D

No! It's obviously not obvious because I've heard MANY people say not to dry-fire the glock a lot because you have to do it enough when you take down the pistol. You just reaffirmed what I already suspected. Coming from you it was good to hear. :D

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Thanks! Since I'm feeling halfway intelligent now, let me also pass on my second-favorite bit of advice to new Glock owners. Ths isn't an accuracy issue, but a reliability one: I think Glocks may be the most reliable handguns around, but pay extra attention to keeping the striker channel clear. Allowing excess gun oil or any form of gunk from cleaning solvents, etc. in the striker channel can impede the striker and give you weak primer contact. In my experience, this has been the leading cause of FTFs with Glocks - although still pretty rare.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Oh, and I forgot to mention my FAVORITE training tip for a new Glock shooter (or an experienced one, for that matter). The flat front sight on a Glock allows you to balance a dime on it without much trouble. Try dry-firing the Glock without knocking off the dime.!

Good advice , used to have to do this with M16's . It works .

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'll keep that in mind. I have a bad habit of taking down my guns and putting them back together just for S&G so this gives me something to look for. :D Especially when I'm sitting on the throne trying not to think about how bad my stomach hurts... :laugh:

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I have 1911's,a sig 226 & a xd40 subcompact .If I shoot with any of the other guns then switch to my xd I have to adjust my trigger pull , I would just keep practicing with it cause glocks do have a different grip feel & trigger ,I adapted quicker to an xd because the grip angle was similar to a 1911's. Ive been thinking about jumping on the glock train since I seen them going for 325.00 at a booth at the 1500 ,Think I missed a deal there

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It's always the Glock's fault. :laugh:

Like I said, at least it didn't BLOW UP in my hand! ;)

I have 1911's,a sig 226 & a xd40 subcompact .If I shoot with any of the other guns then switch to my xd I have to adjust my trigger pull , I would just keep practicing with it cause glocks do have a different grip feel & trigger ,I adapted quicker to an xd because the grip angle was similar to a 1911's. Ive been thinking about jumping on the glock train since I seen them going for 325.00 at a booth at the 1500 ,Think I missed a deal there

That's an issue with me here because if I'm going to Carry both from time to time it'll get confusing physically having to train with both a DAO and a DA/SA. I remember reading up on this in the tactics and training section not long ago and it makes sense. If you plan to carry one type of firearm and practice with another you'll be a horrible shot is basiclly what it boiled down to.

so how much you sellin it for?

A single or preferably double stack 1911 in 9mm. :D (I need a good BBQ gun.) :thumbsup:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Hmmm. I hit a 6" x 10" steel plate first shot today at about 120 yards with my Glock 19.

Maybe it isn't the gun?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It is the gun. Just because you missed paper target set up at 10yrds and hit that steel barn behind it doesn't prove anything! :p

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    :rockwoot:
    Hmmm. I hit a 6" x 10" steel plate first shot today at about 120 yards with my Glock 19.

Maybe it isn't the gun?
    Nice shooting, Shay! 120 yards!?!? Makes me proud to be an American. And a Glock owner!! Just curious - at 120 yards with a 9mm - how much "extra" elevation did you give it? I very rarely shoot out to that distance with a handgun and would love to know.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    At 100 yards with 9mm it isn't much. Maybe 2 inches or so.

From the ballistic tables online it looks like -1.7" for 124 gr 9mm at 100 yards.

Even the mighty (and slow) .45 ACP is only -7" at 100 yards.

Most shooters over estimate pistol caliber bullet drop at distance. People miss their targets because they can't shoot; not because their ammo has a rainbow trajectory.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I cant wait to get my first hand gun a Glock 19, I should "do a deal" in the next week or so

but tell me, are teh sites supposed to be set when you buy the gun?

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It is a helluva shot. I'd love to watch someone do it. I'm a pretty good shot with my BDE, maybe I'll try it some time.

What grain would you recommend for a 9mm at that distance? I haven't tried 124gr since it got broke in, but I could always try it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom