WHYYYYY are you giving in to these .22lr gougers!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingpin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Grant County
    Well I read all the post on this subject and now I don't know anymore than I did the last time I read 8 pages of post on this subject . Think I will go back out and reload some more 9mm maybe figure out how to reload 22lr ammo .

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Well I read all the post on this subject and now I don't know anymore than I did the last time I read 8 pages of post on this subject . Think I will go back out and reload some more 9mm maybe figure out how to reload 22lr ammo .

There was a thread on arfcom I read a long time ago about handloading .22lr (not reloading). Apparently at some time you COULD buy just the primed brass.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    According to INGOnomics, you have a duty to sell your ammo to others at no profit to protect the sport of shooting and getting kids interested in shooting. Because those things aren't worth $30 a box.

Oh, I don't have a problem with their argument... I'd sell the ammo for cost AND what I value my sacrifice at for giving up shooting for the duration of the shortage...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    According to INGOnomics, you have a duty to sell your ammo to others at no profit to protect the sport of shooting and getting kids interested in shooting. Because those things aren't worth $30 a box.

I got yelled at last year when I was selling some brass at under current market rate (as per the normal places that did not have stock, not the wildly inflated gunbroker rates) but over the rate it had been prior to Sandy. Guy told me how terrible a person I was for asking for about 20% more than it had been 6 months previously. He "declined" to buy any from me. A couple of weeks later I saw his ad here for selling the same caliber brass for more than I had been selling it for. Another person on my "never do business with" list.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I got yelled at last year when I was selling some brass at under current market rate (as per the normal places that did not have stock, not the wildly inflated gunbroker rates) but over the rate it had been prior to Sandy. Guy told me how terrible a person I was for asking for about 20% more than it had been 6 months previously. He "declined" to buy any from me. A couple of weeks later I saw his ad here for selling the same caliber brass for more than I had been selling it for. Another person on my "never do business with" list.

I get far more satisfaction out of not helping these people out than I get out of the few extra sheckels I could put in my pocket.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Most rimfire stays on shelf.... Everything else, no worries... Haven't had too much problem getting the components to replace what we shoot...

One negative about range not being as busy... This past summer and fall I didn't come home with as much brass as usual....

Another example: I don't reload but pick up our brass and any other range brass. I could sell it and make some money. I would be in the same boat as gougers who buy ammo they don't use to make a profit. Sure I wouldn't charge more than market value, but still the same concept.

edit: Just seen the same thing posted 2 above.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Another example: I don't reload but pick up our brass and any other range brass. I could sell it and make some money. I would be in the same boat as gougers who buy ammo they don't use to make a profit. Sure I wouldn't charge more than market value, but still the same concept.

edit: Just seen the same thing posted 2 above.

Wouldn't have any issues selling if you had no use for it.... Saying that though, the best option would be to start up loading your own.... Even reloaders aren't immune to these shortages, but the ability and components to load your own puts you ahead of those that don't...

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Wouldn't have any issues selling if you had no use for it.... Saying that though, the best option would be to start up loading your own.... Even reloaders aren't immune to these shortages, but the ability and components to load your own puts you ahead of those that don't...

Taking the profire class on sat.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Taking the profire class on sat.

Great decision ! On both getting into loading your own and going to Profile...

I hear so many say they can afford to get into reloading... I don't understand how a person can afford not to.... If funds are that limited, just think about how much a person could " hoard " away for a given dollar amount if only buying bullets, powder, and primers and compare that to what you'd be putting back if buying factory loaded ammo.... For example, just how much cheap factory could I buy for $500.00 ? For the same $500.00, I could even buy cast bullets, powder and primers and load up 4000 rounds... The savings would even be greater if I casted my own.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    No one is staying on point. If the gouging (scum) were not lined up to strip the shelves bare when the store opened , the ( out of luck ) scenario would not be EVEN CLOSE to as bad as it is right now. THIS is where the anger comes from...

Do not buy from them and the problem will be less but will not go away until the market cools down .

If you are out of luck and try to fill your I WANT-I WANT - I WANT with more dollars , you ARE the problem. ........just my 2 (common ) cents.
    I think you're missing a point if you don't understand that the mere fact that one or two people can strip the shelves bare in a 10-minute timeframe is indicative of more than just what you perceive to be their greed. I've taken the last 3 of something at the grocery store before. Do you know why I can't make a profit on it? Because people know that it will be back on the shelves, in plenty, within hours. There is a practically limitless supply to replace what is purchased and people know it. Since neither condition exists for .22, the problem isn't greedy scum.

Saw the same thing in house prices in 2003 and 2004. Buyers were offering (bidding wars) more than list price to purchase a home because they knew that it could be a long time before the next home that met their criteria came on the market. In part. THere were other factors, some self-fulfilling, but by and large, the scarcity created a demand.

You will only lower prices on the ammo when the demand falls. And the demand will only fall when the scarcity returns to "normal." Which for most people means knowing that even if the shelf is empty today, it won't be tomorrow.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You will only lower prices on the ammo when the demand falls. And the demand will only fall when the scarcity returns to "normal." Which for most people means knowing that even if the shelf is empty today, it won't be tomorrow.
    Once Obama is out of office and we get a pro-gun conservative in there, the gun and ammo markets will return to normal.

One can dream, right?

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    :D Yet!

"It doesn't directly affect me at this time so it's ok."

Um, if there was, I'd be pretty much screwed whether or not you were offering me $25 tins of pellets or not, read my posts on the subject. As in actually read them and understand them.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    There are three rules in life that I hold sacred.
    1. Never kill any thing you are not going to eat. (mice, rats, and insects not included)
    2. Never buy anything you aren't going to use or gift.
    3. Never take advantage of your fellow man.
    Life is so much easier when you have the respect of your peers. Obviously there are those on this board that really don't care what their peers think of them.
    I wish them luck when they actually need something and one of these "entrepeneurs" charges them what you would call the American way.

Joe

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    1. Never kill any thing you are not going to eat. (mice, rats, and insects not included)
    Life is so much easier when you have the respect of your peers. Obviously there are those on this board that really don't care what their peers think of them.
    I wish them luck when they actually need something and one of these "entrepeneurs" charges them what you would call the American way.

Joe

Everything we buy every day is priced based on supply and demand. I don't feel too unlucky right now.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I wish I was smarter and stocked up when I had the chance. If I had enough ammo stockpiled, I'd be selling some at a higher price too.

And WHENEVER ammo becomes readily available again, I'm going to stock up like crazy. I'm going to be smart this time.

Right now, I don't need ammo, so I won't be buying any ammo that are priced high. But that doesn't mean I won't buy any that is reasonable priced.

And FYI, I'm getting sick of people whining about this topic.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

What would "taking advantage of your fellow man" look like in this scenario?

Top Bottom