WHYYYYY are you giving in to these .22lr gougers!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    God lets hope nothing happens again, not for the sake of ammo, but for the sake of humanity.

If I don't get on the police department with the two i'm in the hiring process for this year, I'm joining the military as career, so I won't have to worry about .22lr plinking for a long long time haha

Oh it will, trust me. Volatility is just a fact of life with this stuff. All you can do is be prepared.

I gave up on plinking with 22 a long time ago, I'm just shooting pellet guns now. 5 bucks for 500, can't beat that.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    No one is staying on point. If the gouging (scum) were not lined up to strip the shelves bare when the store opened , the ( out of luck ) scenario would not be EVEN CLOSE to as bad as it is right now. THIS is where the anger comes from...

Do not buy from them and the problem will be less but will not go away until the market cools down .

If you are out of luck and try to fill your I WANT-I WANT - I WANT with more dollars , you ARE the problem. ........just my 2 (common ) cents.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    No one is staying on point. If the gouging (scum) were not lined up to strip the shelves bare when the store opened , the ( out of luck ) scenario would not be EVEN CLOSE to as bad as it is right now. THIS is where the anger comes from...

Do not buy from them and the problem will be less but will not go away until the market cools down .

If you are out of luck and try to fill your I WANT-I WANT - I WANT with more dollars , you ARE the problem. ........just my 2 (common ) cents.

It doesn't matter.

If the gouging scum weren't there, that stuff would be stripped within hours. You think people are willing to pay $50 for a brick, but they won't constantly be snatching it up at Walmart for $20? It would be gone maybe a couple hours later at the absolute latest.

Gougers are correcting the flawed distribution (by dumb luck) of 22lr as it stands now. Due to Walmart's insistence on placating the anti-price-gouging crowd.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    If it didn't take me 25 minutes to type that last post , my timing would have been a lot better -:) ...sorry for the re- flame ..

Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    My stance is simple.. Ban the sale of ammunition of the internet. Fact is, prove of age may not need to be proven unless asked but..Federal law regulates the sale of ammunition to young people. It bars licensed manufacturers or DEALERS from selling long gun ammunition to anyone who they believe is under age 18. Also they may not sell handgun ammunition to anyone they reasonably believe is under age 21 (18 USC § 922(b)(1)).

if I were I inclined to ship ammo to an address with an unknown age verification because he/she paid for it.. I wouldn't. Let's say you convince yourself the law doesn't apply to you because your not a dealer. I would think a administration likes Obama could and would attempt to prove that a percentage of your income came from ammo sales, this making you an unlicensed dealer. It's a stretch I know...but your 1500 rounds of .22lr was among this kids "arsenal" of weaponry that he just rAmpaged with at the local school. Commence the bashing.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    My stance is simple.. Ban the sale of ammunition of the internet. Fact is, prove of age may not need to be proven unless asked but..Federal law regulates the sale of ammunition to young people. It bars licensed manufacturers or DEALERS from selling long gun ammunition to anyone who they believe is under age 18. Also they may not sell handgun ammunition to anyone they reasonably believe is under age 21 (18 USC § 922(b)(1)).

if I were I inclined to ship ammo to an address with an unknown age verification because he/she paid for it.. I wouldn't. Let's say you convince yourself the law doesn't apply to you because your not a dealer. I would think a administration likes Obama could and would attempt to prove that a percentage of your income came from ammo sales, this making you an unlicensed dealer. It's a stretch I know...but your 1500 rounds of .22lr was among this kids "arsenal" of weaponry that he just rAmpaged with at the local school. Commence the bashing.

Um, this probably needs its own thread.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    No problem, I love this stuff.

Next time we have another 22lr shortage, most likely thousands, tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of people will have stashed enough 22lr that they'll be willing to sell at inflated prices, but that competition will keep those inflated prices much lower in comparison to pre-panic prices than what we have seen during this shortage.

Well, as long as the general trend (5+ years) we're seeing of increases in gun and ammo sales tapers off and leaves sufficient time for the general population to stock up at prices under normal market conditions.

You'd like to think that, but I have now lived through three ammo and reloading component shortages and after the last two I beat the drum for people to stock up while it was cheap and plentiful and damn few did. Oh, maybe a small percentage might keep an extra box or two on hand that they wouldn't have otherwise, but MOST people still are one or two range sessions from being out, and you STILL hear the refrain "I don't want a caliber gun that I can't go to *mart and pick up a box for on my way to the range.

It falls on deaf ears. People (as a group) are stupid and will rush to buy everything they don't need or would normally use just because something is perceived as being in short supply, yet when there is times of plenty they can't be bothered to keep a basic minimum around.

I predict, just like I did after the last two, that when this "shortage" is over and the stuff is sitting on the store shelves gathering dust, the average person who, right now, would buy 5k rounds of .22 if they could, won't be bothered to keep a single box of 500 on hand.

People are sheep and I see no reason to think it'll change any in the future. Some small percentage will learn, but the vast majority will soon forget they were even panicked.

I would dearly love to be wrong on this, but history says I won't be.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    You'd like to think that, but I have now lived through three ammo and reloading component shortages and after the last two I beat the drum for people to stock up while it was cheap and plentiful and damn few did. Oh, maybe a small percentage might keep an extra box or two on hand that they wouldn't have otherwise, but MOST people still are one or two range sessions from being out, and you STILL hear the refrain "I don't want a caliber gun that I can't go to *mart and pick up a box for on my way to the range.

It falls on deaf ears. People (as a group) are stupid and will rush to buy everything they don't need or would normally use just because something is perceived as being in short supply, yet when there is times of plenty they can't be bothered to keep a basic minimum around.

I predict, just like I did after the last two, that when this "shortage" is over and the stuff is sitting on the store shelves gathering dust, the average person who, right now, would buy 5k rounds of .22 if they could, won't be bothered to keep a single box of 500 on hand.

People are sheep and I see no reason to think it'll change any in the future. Some small percentage will learn, but the vast majority will soon forget they were even panicked.

Well, you probably have a point. Now I'm young, but this is the worst I've seen, guess I'm just hoping that it will encourage a larger portion of people to stock up than did before.

My point remains though, that to whatever extent people do stock up with the anticipation of future profit, the shortage will be impacted, however little that may be. I know a good number of people are now stocked up on 30 round mags for just that purpose.

I know I'm buying exactly 5K when I determine the price to be reasonable. Then again, I was going to do that anyway, but now I'll be making it a priority.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I thought I'd learned my lesson. What I failed to anticipate was that .22LR could experience the same market gyrations as 5.56mm had in the past. It was similar thinking too. When that South African M1A3 and M1A4 5.56x45mm ammo was so plentiful and so inexpensive, not to mention the Malaysian and Chinese M193, I could not conceive of a time when it would be any different. I learned otherwise, yet I couldn't see that it could happen with .22LR now.

From now on, I'll base my decision based more on anticipated need rather than on whether or not a shortage could occur.

I would dearly love to be wrong on this, but history says I won't be.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Those .22lr resellers might just be trying to use them as boot straps to pull themselves out of poverty. Just as easy as thinking they are scum. I hate the whole picker mentality that preys on the unwitting because it feels grubby to me. Now if someone wants to pass on a discount because I was honest about the real value I'm happier than if I took advantage of their ignorance.

I can see a reason for anger or butt hurt because if someone is using superior finances to dominate your market it gets incredibly frustrating.
    Out think them, find ways to legally disrupt the behavior of people that are skanking your ammo. Can't be that hard if they are in a routine to be the Mayor of Ammotown, USA ;) use your purple crayon to change my fonts where necessary.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I thought I'd learned my lesson. What I failed to anticipate was that .22LR could experience the same market gyrations as 5.56mm had in the past. It was similar thinking too. When that South African M1A3 and M1A4 5.56x45mm ammo was so plentiful and so inexpensive, not to mention the Malaysian and Chinese M193, I could not conceive of a time when it would be any different. I learned otherwise, yet I couldn't see that it could happen with .22LR now.

From now on, I'll base my decision based more on anticipated need rather than on whether or not a shortage could occur.

The most I've paid for a bulk pack is $14 and I have enough that should last my lifetime. When I'm shooting my $14 ammo 30 years from now, what's it going to cost on the store shelf?

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Guys please, for the love of God, please answer the question as to why you are paying these guy on here $35-$50 for a 550 value pack of .22lr? Can you seriously not be patient?

Not sure about other people, but here's my story:

I've bought 5 bulk packs over the last couple of weeks from INGO members. I've paid $35-$45 for each bulk pack. Is that a lot? Yes it is. And I know that. But I need the 22s now. My wife and I will be shooting several Appleseeds this spring. We will also be taking new shooters with us each time (and will be providing their ammo).

Am I out of 22 ammo at home? No, but my stock is low, so paying $35-$45 for a few bulk packs was a decision I made so I'd have enough for some of the events we have planned.

We had a nice stock of 22 when the panic hit. That stock took a huge hit over the last year because we've shot a lot. :ar15:

There. That's my story.

My name is Indygunguy. I paid $45 for a bulk pack of 22. I am the reason your ammo is expensive. Sorry.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The anti gougers remind me of those who were on LP/NG contracts years ago when the prices were skyrocketing. They loved that they were getting a good deal when market prices were going up and their contract price was lower. But as soon as the market price went lower than their contract price, they whined and wanted out of the contract.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    If I have a truck and the capitol to purchase 100 generators and drive them to your town where a tornado just came through. Do you think I should do that and mark up the prices and make a profit doing so...or would you rather me stay home and you be without power?

You and your family have to evacuate to a hotel due to a hurricane. Should the hotel keep their standard pricing so that your three neighbors who got their first can buy 6 rooms for their comfort, leaving you out on the street for the night...or would you rather the hotel jack up their prices so the neighbors can only afford to squeeze into two rooms and you can purchase one for the night?

See how this works. Econ 101.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I found Bricks of Blazer .22LR for $24.99 at cabelas.com last week. Unfortunately after shipping and tax, it was over $33. And you could only buy one!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    A few hundred pounds of lead, many pounds of powder, and 15K+ primers strong (most bought at $20 per 1000). Many .22 bricks on the shelf that have a price tag of $12-$13.

Preparedness and self sufficiency has it's perks.

The whining of the unprepared is a large window into your small mind.

Top Bottom