WHYYYYY are you giving in to these .22lr gougers!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I see both sides of this 22LR shortage argument. .

You sure about this ? Initially, I thought the same thing.... Now, that it has gone on for a period of time, I find the picture much more clearer...

I just can't fathom how some would expect a seller to walk away from a $50.00 sale to just sell it for $20.00....

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    You mean the same community that 47.5% say they would take gas for a penny from a gas station?https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...2-gas-penny-gallon-due-glitch-do-you-buy.html

As with most things people love "community" when they stand to gain and hate it when they stand to lose.

What am I losing when it comes to an opinion and a question? I am very curious?

The only thing I can come close to losing in this situation is time away from my college studies, but I'm learning here, so I'm actually gaining. I don't quite understand how you question relates to my post?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You sure about this ? Initially, I thought the same thing.... Now, that it has gone on for a period of time, I find the picture much more clearer...

I just can't fathom how some would expect a seller to walk away from a $50.00 sale to just sell it for $20.00....

Exactly. That is why I haven't sold much and what I have sold has been to friends or members here on INGO that got caught with their pants down or are new to shooting. One member even paid me extra for helping him out because otherwise he would have had to buy from Gunbroker or Armslist.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Hypothetical.

Let's say I have $5k I want to invest safely. I can get a bank cd at less than 1 percent and we all know savings accounts don't pay squat. 2 years from now, any Joe Schmoe can walk into any Walmart and find 22 bulk packs available for $20 each. During this time of plenty, I buy a few boxes here and there until I have spent all $5k. Everybody else had the same opportunity to buy at the price I did at the time I did.

Fast forward 3-4 years and "I want to ban all guns Democrat" is running for president. INGOpublicans along with all other gun owners say "you must vote against "I want to ban all guns Democrat" or we'll lose our guns. "I want to ban all guns Democrat" wins and the panic ensues. 22 can't be found anywhere and the going price is once again $50 a brick. If I sell my bricks at $50, is that gouging? I didn't camp out at the door on ammo day to keep someone else from buying the brick and deny another of current market ammo.

Replace that ammo with gold or silver? Why should ammo investors be treated any differently than gold or silver investors?

happy_feet_logical.gif

No one is owed ammo, and it surely isn't a "necessity" in the vein of food, water or shelter.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Exactly. That is why I haven't sold much and what I have sold has been to friends or members here on INGO that got caught with their pants down or are new to shooting. One member even paid me extra for helping him out because otherwise he would have had to buy from Gunbroker or Armslist.

This is what I stated earlier. 100% of the longtime members here are great people and pay it forward (as do I 100% of the time, its how I was raised). I've only been a member since very early 2013, but have browsed the boards since 2010, but no matter what opinions or questions are raised that I choose to be a part of, it still doesn't turn me away if I don't like the outcome, and I don't lose any respect for any opinions shared. Like my OP stated, its these 50-200 post ct guys that are doing what I've stated. These past few months, theres been an influx of them.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

And the ones happily ready to pay $50.00 have a 500% better chance of getting it much cheaper out of my stock than those expecting it @ what they feel it's worth...

BTW, thanks for helping out the non-complaining INGO'ers !

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What am I losing when it comes to an opinion and a question? I am very curious?

The only thing I can come close to losing in this situation is time away from my college studies, but I'm learning here, so I'm actually gaining. I don't quite understand how you question relates to my post?

The reason I posted the link is because this isn't the community everyone seems to think it is. In the poll on that thread, nearly half of those who voted said they would take gas from a station for a penny knowing it was a mistake. Is that the kind of character you're speaking of?

As for the latter part of my post you quoted, I think it's self explanatory.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    This is what I stated earlier. 100% of the longtime members here are great people and pay it forward (as do I 100% of the time, its how I was raised). I've only been a member since very early 2013, but have browsed the boards since 2010, but no matter what opinions or questions are raised that I choose to be a part of, it still doesn't turn me away if I don't like the outcome, and I don't lose any respect for any opinions shared. Like my OP stated, its these 50-200 post ct guys that are doing what I've stated. These past few months, theres been an influx of them.

Well I'm one of those new guys and I just sold 3 bricks for 45 bucks a pop. I need the money right now. Anything less than that and I wouldn't have bothered, they'd still be sitting in my basement like they have since January 2013.

I got $135 and the guy I sold it to got something that was worth more than that to him, as evidenced by the fact he chose the ammo over the 135 bucks.

Selling at $20 is charity, no ifs ands or buts.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In a free market, someone might pay more than he wants, but he never pays more than he is willing to pay.

This^^^^^^^^^^

I have no problem with the likes of the OP complaining about the status quo. I haven't bought a box of 22LR in over a year now. I'll not participate in flipping game. If I find it on the shelf, at "normal" price, I'll buy it to stock up. If, for some reason, I feel the need to sell it, I'll likely sell it to a friend or family member at a break-even price. If you don't want to participate in the flipping game, don't. If you want to climb up on your soap box and try to persuade others to not play, I say do it. I find all this back and forth tiresome.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    The reason I posted the link is because this isn't the community everyone seems to think it is. In the poll on that thread, nearly half of those who voted said they would take gas from a station for a penny knowing it was a mistake. Is that the kind of character you're speaking of?

As for the latter part of my post you quoted, I think it's self explanatory.

Community or not, selling at $20 is charity. A gift.

So if we want to get rid of that type of thing in the INGO community we should probably mandate a $30 discount on anything in the classifieds.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Yeah.. not going to read through all 14 pages of this.
    If I knew I could get away with it, I would be contact every 22LR gouger with less then 50 posts (site supporter, etc) in the classifieds and give them an "I'll take it, and meet you at *insert random location here* at *insert random time here*". Every one of them would get the same location and time, and it would be like a little impromptu price gouger meet and greet!

"Hey, you here to buy 22s?" "No... are you?"

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I can't believe I've read the whole thing. This is a mirror of several similar threads over the past year, about......... price gouging.
    Once again, as stated over and over, if you think the price is to high, don't buy it. But don't get mad if someone else buys it, maybe they needed it, and to them it was worth it.
    Pretty simple really.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    ... I still feel strongly on some fronts. If i lose respect (like some of you implied) because of my opinion and my questioning, then its not my loss, this is an online forum where opinions and questions are freely stated on the regular. For one to lose respect because of this, over an opinion stated on an online board, well that just shows what kind of person and character you are. It's no sweat off my back. You will always have people disagree and or agree with you, its life.

Yes you stated an opinion... but when you continually call these people "Scum" and other derogatory names please don't play the Pity Party card about people who disagree with you.

When the time came when I actually needed .22lr for an appleseed event, some awesome members stepped up and either gifted me some or sold me some at retail. < That is the kind of INGO I love, that is the kind of community this organization is, and that is why I will be a life long member. The issues that my OP addressed, in case you lost sight of what was stated, was new members "using" this site to post things at a crazy margin, but like some of you stated, and what I've known and expected... what one finds "crazy" another finds "sane." Its ok if you disagree, but I lose no respect for anyone on their opinion. I'm sorry for you all that lost respect for me, I can't imagine what kind of character is displayed when it comes to a subject that is actually touching! Gesh!

I had good stock of the ammo that I had guns for... until Grandpa bought my son his first .22 - a Marlin 60 for Xmas 2012. Grandpa didn't know about the shortage, and I didn't have ANY stockpiled (as I didn't shoot it), so I was scrambling for ANY .22lr for a few months. A member here offered me, at no charge, a box of Federal. I have since re-paid that favor many times over to people who I see need it for kids. I don't ask anything but that they repay the favor forward when they are able.

My point is that if my son didn't get to shoot his new .22 for months it wasn't the end of the world. We continued to practice the fundamentals of safe gun handling with his air rifles and he still had a good time. My CHOICE to not pay $50 for a box of ammo was just that... a choice. Other people's CHOICE to pay what they think is "fair" is also that... a choice. You want to shame people on a public forum for paying what YOU think is "unfair"? Seems like there should be much larger injustices to rally against to me. :dunno:

Oh... and yes, I've sold some of my excess ammo recently. The Mrs FINALLY wants her own carry gun. I'm funding it with an investment that easy to liquidate. I'm not a "Scum", I'm actually a nice guy if you and I ever meet. :cheers:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Egads. Read it all. Anyone else notice the new counts on bulk packs. 222 Winchester-325 Federal-333 Winchester? Still one per?

Top Bottom