• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I'm fine with Ron Paul, but I think there are two reasons he will not get elected President:

1) Most people believe in some libertarian principles, but there are usually one or two they can't swallow - and those one or two are often the most hot button issues for that person. For example, you will hear someone say "I mostly agree with the libertarians, but I won't vote for anyone who believes in open borders." Or, the Iraq war. Or legalizing drugs. Whatever - most people will have at least one libertarian issue that they just cannot accept no matter what.

2) Being a president is not just a matter of being right on a bunch of policies. People laugh at the media persona part of the job, but that is part of being a leader in this world. I don't think Paul has the kind of charismatic leadership that is necessary - especially necessary for a guy who is pushing a radically different agenda than Washington is used to. It is trite and superficial to say he doesn't look, sound, or act presidential but that is part of the job description.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Wow- I didn't know Huck was a theocrat- got proof?
    Even tho this is a 'jack, I'll play.
    How about this? For a start. There's lots more out there if your google is is even mediocre.
    Or this weirdness.
    How about this little gem?
    I hope we answer the alarm clock and take this nation back for Christ.
    That kinda leaves a few folks out, now doesn't it? The Jews and lots of others. Everything about the man screams would be theocrat. I have no doubt he'd be wanting to impose prayers and jesus at every turn. Neither do lots of others. If he's the best the Reps can come up with then they're screwed.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Even tho this is a 'jack, I'll play.
    How about this? For a start. There's lots more out there if your google is is even mediocre.
    Or this weirdness.
    How about this little gem? That kinda leaves a few folks out, now doesn't it? The Jews and lots of others. Everything about the man screams would be theocrat. I have no doubt he'd be wanting to impose prayers and jesus at every turn. Neither do lots of others. If he's the best the Reps can come up with then they're screwed.

Scary stuff that...

The Republicans were already screwed... they are all loonies, including Huck and kool-aid man Ron Paul.

And the dems are even worse, if that is possible.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm fine with Ron Paul, but I think there are two reasons he will not get elected President:

1) Most people believe in some libertarian principles, but there are usually one or two they can't swallow - and those one or two are often the most hot button issues for that person. For example, you will hear someone say "I mostly agree with the libertarians, but I won't vote for anyone who believes in open borders." Or, the Iraq war. Or legalizing drugs. Whatever - most people will have at least one libertarian issue that they just cannot accept no matter what.

I pretty much agree that this is the way people are, generally speaking. Many will proclaim that they subscribe to a "live and let live" philosophy, but once you get into the details the hidden authoritarian comes out to play.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I don't know where you got your numbers on heroin production but they are wrong according to the world bank Afganhistans poppy production avarged 3300tonnes a year prior to the invasion and dropped to only 1300tonnes in 2001 after the invasion. after that it only averaged 2100tonnes until 2007 when it again begant o incrase to an average of 3300 tonnes (tonnes=metric ton) as far as Saddam gassing the Kurds it only illustrates that he had WMD's and was willing to use them you're right I don't like the UN and think they have NO bussiness dictating our policy nor do we need to be the worlds policeman but we were looking for unilateral support in protecting not just our interest but the the interests of others in the mideast by removing a dangerous dictator who was harboring terrorist. as far as the Constitution goes I love the Constitution and feel that it's worth protecting at al all costs because it allows us to have debates like these even the framers debated it's power and this is where the two party system came from those who thought the powers in the Constitution should be interpreted in a way that would preserve the Republic (Republican) and those that saw it in a more strict and constructionist view and were afraid that any other view would hurt the democracy (democrats) I think Obama is the most dangerous politican to come along in my lifetime I just think that Paul is not the right man for the job either.

OMG PLEASE USE PUNCTUATION! That made my brain hurt trying to sort out the sentences so much I gave up... :wallbash:

ANYWHO, for all you people who don't like Ron Paul for his lack of charisma and what not, I guess if someone else stood up and voted and believed as he does you would vote for that person?

You know, someone who wishes that the Income Tax be abolished, Congress repeal all laws that they have no legal right to have made, No longer interveining into other Countries affairs, etc?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I supported RP for pres before he declared, and I sent him a sizable chunk of change.

I think he is right on economics, foreign policy, and the Constitution in general, though no one is perfect (even Jefferson failed here).

That being said, he is probably still, unfortunately, unelectable. He doesn't pander to special interests, and he doesn't yield on his take on the Constitution.

Sadly, many Americans just couldn't handle a man of principle in the oval office, especially one that doesn't have teleprompter skills.

That being said, if he were to run again, I would probably pull out the checkbook again. There's just too much at stake not to try. From the perspective of the Constitution, he's probably the best candidate to have stood for the office for at least a century.

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    I think if you actually watched Huckabee's show on FOX you'd find that he has guests of many faiths and backgrounds. and that he doesn't want to impose prayer but he doesn't want to have God removed from our lives either nor have people fear repercussions for proclaiming their faith (whatever it is) in public. and that he is not afraid to mention these beliefs no matter how politically unpopular that might be. and speaking your mind without fear of the political ramifications is something Ron Paul supporters should embrace since this is something he does also.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    :rockwoot:
    I agree, with a caveat. Modern media make these men out to be this way and it seems to appeal most to the those with....I don't know how to say this nicely. It appeals to the weaker minds and those that are impressionable to the perceived safety of group think.

I said the same thing once these "tea parties" drew out the nut cases. The language, the imagery, not something I am down with. I don't really want to be photographed next to the guy with a sign saying "I read the Turner Diaries and I know how they end" or "...time to water the tree of liberty". I'm sure not all tea parties are like this, and honestly its not the main reason I don't get excited them. But, that is another thread.

I don't see the class warfare angle that you are seeing. Dr. Paul was a threat to the agenda of the Republican party and the republican political machine did everything in its power to marginalize his candidacy up to barring him from primary debates and trying their hardest to keep him off ballots. There was no place in the party for someone who didn't walk the big spending, big government, corporatist line - and the talking heads were more than happy to run with the RNCs talking points regarding Dr. Paul. These political machines, RNC/DNC, are interested in keeping the status quo. It strengthens their grasp on power by feeding the same talking points over and over to thier devoted followers. They then choose a candidate (the concept of primaries is a farce) and convince thier base that he is the best thing for the country. Dr. Paul came along and through a monkey wrench in thier comfortable little system.

Spot on my friend.....spot on!!!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I think if you actually watched Huckabee's show on FOX you'd find that he has guests of many faiths and backgrounds. and that he doesn't want to impose prayer but he doesn't want to have God removed from our lives either nor have people fear repercussions for proclaiming their faith (whatever it is) in public. and that he is not afraid to mention these beliefs no matter how politically unpopular that might be. and speaking your mind without fear of the political ramifications is something Ron Paul supporters should embrace since this is something he does also.

Huckabee is a good guy, I got to meet him 3 years ago briefly. But I don't like the fact that he wants to force religion on people. Sure he wants to keep God in everything, but I specificlly remember a speech he gave on the campaign trail about Iraq becoming a Christian Nation or something to that effect. i'll have to see if I can find the speech on Youtube or something...

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Since I can't vote FOR or AGAINST Rep. Paul for another 31 months, and there is another election before then, I'm devoting my energies to the races I can affect in 2010.

Ron Paul has a lot going for him. I Love his stance on Constitutional interpretation of the various bills he votes on. I'm not sure he has the charisma to make it through the general presidential in 2012. But, I look for principle first.

BUTTTTTTT - I will also weigh the marketability of the candidate. I'd make a great US Senator! :rockwoot: BUT - I'm a goofball, and don't always clean up very pretty...:n00b: so my preference is pretty well known in that race. ;)

A difficult choice in the Repub primary would be Paul or Palin. :dunno:

Also, I'm going to clarify the initial post in this thread. Most of us that are currently politically active on the Right side are NOT Republicans.

Speaking for myself, on national issues, I am a conservative. I am part of a grassroots movement that is attempting to reshape the Republican party. If we succeed in that, I'll call myself a republican again. But, right now, it's not about Republican or Democrat on the national political front (or even libertarian)

On our national political battlefield of ideas - we have Conservationism vs Progressivism. One side seeks to protect the Constitution for the United States while the other side attempts to trash it.

I believe that under that criteria, Libertarian and Republican become one and the same at the Federal level. :D They begin to differ on policy back at the State Level... where individual freedom vs community responsibility were designed to play out (based on our founding fathers intent).

DarkLight

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Thorntown
    Like SavageEagle states, then you wouldn't vote for anybody. Let's see, what exaclty is a cult? According to Webster, it is : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work ......OMG....we are all in a 2A cult!! Just realized this......As far as not defending our country, that's just ridiculous. In no way has Ron Paul ever stated that he would eliminate our countries defenses. He just wants to trim all of the bureaucratical fat. This includes militarily....(ie. private oversees security contracts) And the arguement that he doesn't have a chance so you are wasting a vote is just plain ignorance. With that logic, change and political revolution will never occur and we will just continue to teeter-totter, passing the buck while the bureaucrats roll around in our indecision like a pig in s**t! It seems like all the main right-wing pushers (limbaugh, hannity, savage, levin) spend all there time stirring up controversey and complaining rather than supporting real solutions to real problems. Why don't they come out and support Ron Paul?.....Because they make way more money under the current system.....and guess what.?....this is there true motivation!

:+1: I agree with you 100%! It's the same as with the big news stations; FOX, MSNBC, CNN it doesn't matter what their 'affiliation' is, they know that as long as the world sucks, they get more money for reporting on it.

I think Ron Paul is our once in a lifetime chance of returning this Nation to its rightful place. And anyone that states that a vote for him is a vote for the other side is only fueling the problem.

The way I see things, the republican party and the democratic party are just 2 sides of the same coin..and guess what, its a peso and it's its worth :poop:!!

Ron Paul may run as a Rep, but I'll always view him as a Constitutionalists and better than any of the competition.

My only concern is putting a good set of Senators and Congressmen in with him so that he can make the necessary changes to fix this nation.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    My only concern is putting a good set of Senators and Congressmen in with him so that he can make the necessary changes to fix this nation.

There in lies the problem. It's not the President that makes the laws and policies. It's Congress. Everyone worries so much about the President and the Laws he can pass, when in effect, the President only has the power of veto and control over foriegn policy and the military.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    :+1: I agree with you 100%! It's the same as with the big news stations; FOX, MSNBC, CNN it doesn't matter what their 'affiliation' is, they know that as long as the world sucks, they get more money for reporting on it.

I think Ron Paul is our once in a lifetime chance of returning this Nation to its rightful place. And anyone that states that a vote for him is a vote for the other side is only fueling the problem.

The way I see things, the republican party and the democratic party are just 2 sides of the same coin..and guess what, its a peso and it's its worth :poop:!!

Ron Paul may run as a Rep, but I'll always view him as a Constitutionalists and better than any of the competition.

Thanks for my first +1 DarkLight! As frustrating as this issue is, finding people who really see the truth through the smoke is as good as gold!:yesway:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    There in lies the problem. It's not the President that makes the laws and policies. It's Congress. Everyone worries so much about the President and the Laws he can pass, when in effect, the President only has the power of veto and control over foriegn policy and the military.

very true....being involved from your town on up to the state is key in promoting change.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The one main stumbling block to the Paul for President run as a Repub, is that the candidate who wins the nomination, heads the party.

The Party doesn't support Paul, because he doesn't cave to the big money donors. So, he won't easily get the nomination due to the party steering money and image enhancement to others that will support the party.

We're seeing this in a micro version via the Behney campaign. He's not a party guy. They can't control him if he does get elected. They want the seat filled with an R... but they want the seat filled an Obedient R.

So, there will always be someone in the way of getting a candidate into the top spot in the R party.

Unless... ;)

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

These are the only two sentences worth reading in this whole regurgitation-subject thread.

He's the best choice we have, with the best backing and most momentum right now... :yesway:

Top Bottom