• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    People don't want them because they don't say "Glock"

They aren't in rap songs, TV show references, or gun rags nearly as often as their competators.

BTW - If more people would purchase, the price of mags would go down. ANY quality pistol with a very limited market share has expensive mags.

I don't own one because I own a P99, which I feel is the superior gun. The old paddle style mag catch is one of the reasons I love it so much. I feel like they caved in to peer pressure by switching back to a generic button. Walthers marketing department probably thinks it will help them sell more guns to the Xenophobic mass that are steryotypical gun owners... Bad move IMO. Sometimes being different is a good thing.

I agree to an extent I bought a PPQ M1 (paddle mag release) during the special run they did. Man it sold out quick. But there are tons of people for a variety of reasons want only a button mag release. So maybe it was a good marketing decision. Then again the special run selling out quick proves there are still people that want the paddle release also.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I met TopDog at ITP yesterday and shot his Walther PPQ. It's a nice gun and I could definitely see myself owning one in the future. My favorite Part about it was the grip as it absolutely fit my hand perfectly. I won't be switching my edc m&p9c for a PPQ anytime soon, but there's no reason that someone looking for an edc should pass up on the PPQ.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I finally got to handle one a few weeks ago, I had been wanting to quite badly as I typically enjoy Walther's handguns.

Initial impression: holy giant mess of ergonomics batman. That is the most top heavy, awkward, bulky feeling gun I've ever handled. Whereas my Glock points naturally and feels like an extension of my arm, the Walther felt like something foreign.

But I felt the same way about Glock until I got my hands on a Gen4, so :dunno:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I can't help but feel like you're cheating on me...

:rofl:

:laugh:

images

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I saw it behind the counter. A movie would come out and we would start getting the requests.

Yeah, but that was a minute ago. ;) I think video games are serving that purpose for the current generation of new gun buyers. "IWI Tavor? This gun is bad-ass in Call of Duty (or insert other game here)"

That said, we can still peg sales spikes of a particular firearm to appearances on the cover of American Rifleman or Guns & Ammo, so I guess any media helps.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    :n00b: Hmm... I'm not even a Walther guy, but I'll admit the PPQ's are pretty sexy. What pistols do you consider "not ugly"?

Walther-PPQ-2.jpg

Really? Every time I see one it reminds me of a slightly less ugly Hi-point.

But I also think Glocks are kinda ugly, and definitely ugly with the chintzy (but functional) Gen4 backstraps. And yet I compete with and carry one of those. :dunno:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    They look like one of those plastic guns that were on the old Pachmeyer grip display units. Sorry, that was my first thought but that's in line with the plastic gun looks to me.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Meh. Until the M2, Walther's weren't even worth talking about due to the silly trigger guard mag release.

That seemed to be the consensus so Walther starting making the M2 just for the Americans. Low and behold people started asking for the original M1 again. Then in the beginning of 2014 Walther did a special run of the M1's, sold out in weeks. I own 3 Walthers all with the mag relase on the trigger guard. I prefer them. Drop the prejudice and practice with it, starts to feel more natural than the button.

Top Bottom