• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I wanted to like the PPQ real bad. On paper, everything about it screamed that I should own one, especially since I love my P22. Then I put one in hand at my LGS and it felt terrible in hand. I tried ... I put it down, picked it up, put it down, picked it up ... nothing about it felt good in hand.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Good one!

You kids and your computers . . . and your sideways hats . . . and your hipping and hopping.

I still say movies over Internet.

I really think to put it that way is an oversimplification. I would modify it to say that the trend for the more popular models tends to be...
    1. Movies spark interest by making the product cool
    2. Product enters the market and faces user reviews
    3. User reviews and item popularity drive sales beyond the short term

In short: "movies then internet" not "movies over internet"

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Been getting great input on the PPQ. Good responses to my original question. And I think Kirk Freeman makes a valid point about movie buzz creating interest in certain models of guns. But which do you think has more impact now with the internet forms being such a factor? Movie buzz or a gun being talked up on gun forums?

Guess I am the odd man out again. I have never bought a gun because it was popular from a movie. Two things bring my attention to a gun. First recommendations, from other shooters and known shootists like Hickok45. Second manufacturers reputation for producing quality and reliable guns.

Some things that have been mentioned.

You can tune a Glock or M&P to have a great trigger. So why spend the money, time and effort to get a great trigger when you can just buy a PPQ and have a great trigger right out of the box? If you want a project or something to tinker with then yes a Glock or M&P are great guns for that. Personally I would rather just buy a gun that is good to go and not have to dump aftermarket parts into it or gunsmithing work, to get it to shoot like I want.

After market parts. Yes Glock has everyone beat in this department. But again all I'm looking for usually are sights. And you can find after market sights for the PPQ. I am not changing mine as the PPQ comes with adequate sights. Now if I were going to use if for a range gun or competition then a different story. As the PPQ becomes more popular, just as the M&P first had little to offer in aftermarket parts (except for triggers, which were in high demand) more after market parts will be there. As in holsters, etc. Remember that the PPQ is built on the P99 so things like sights listed for the P99 (which has been out for while) will work on the PPQ. Just note the PPQ and P99 do not have the exact same frame so kydex holsters will not be interchangeable.

The grip, that is totally subjective and all the major manufacturers have tried to address this with interchangeable back straps, including the PPQ. I have run across few people that didn't think the PPQ had a great feel. But hey you are not going to please everyone. Point being like the M&P most people really like the feel of the gun that is a good place to start.

High bore axis. Yes the PPQ has a slightly higher bore axis than say a Glock. This should translate into more muzzle flip / felt recoil. Felt recoil also is somewhat subjective so I will leave it at that. Muzzle flip does effect follow up shots. But the trigger and feel of the gun are more important to me and the PPQ has everyone beat in that department for me. So for a competition gun this might be a serious consideration. For me as a combat gun or self defense gun it is negotiable. Just my opinion. My CZ 75b has a low bore axis is great at the range. But it is a little heavy for a carry gun. All things to consider.

I agree with you on a lot of points.

As for your statement of "why spend that much money on a gun and then turning around and messing with the trigger", a lot of guys, on INGO, are all for trigger kits like the APEX.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but I'll admit I sometimes wonder if that's even wise to do, on a gun that's for personal protection.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Our first foray into the plastic pistol territory was when my better half wanted her own. She did not want the weight of all metal nor the size of a full size, which is kinda funny considering her next acquisition of a Beretta 92 FS.

We went to GM for her to peruse the variety of their stock. The PPS was one that she picked to handle. She thought the Euro mag release paddle awkward. The biggest negative that she could not overcome was that she could not rack the slide. The harder she tried, the more the sharp slide serrations hurt her hand (I thought they were harsh myself).

I mention the background story of the PPS because it is very probable that if the PPS would have been acceptable, the next full size purchase would have been in that family, ie the PPQ.

She went with the Shield.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    No PPQ but have had a P99 for years. Absolutely LOVE it. It's why I Sell every Glock I end up with. When I start comparing, there is no comparison. For me anyway. :)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Reasons to Choose Glock 17 over Walther PPQ

1. Used Glocks for $400, sometimes less, sometimes a little more
    2. Virtually unlimited supply of factory magazines at $25 for new, sometimes less
    3. Everyone who makes holsters makes holsters for G17/G19
    4. Everyone who makes aftermarket sights makes them for Glock
    5. Because they're cheap, you can have multiples to suit your needs

+1 and it applies to virtually all the Glock 9/40/45 line. It's a tool for me. Significant aftermarket support has to be there. Affordable mags have to be there because you should own many. Works for me.

I could care less about movies.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Quick, name a movie with the Steyr M40.

Alcohol and strippers, the gun industries two greatest salesmen.:D

GastonGlock_zps3f71b771.jpg

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Mags are EXPENSIVE! I had the PPQ a year ago and spare mags were $60-$80 each. Plus spare parts were non-existent. I also believe S&W service is sub-par. Glock armours are everywhere and a spare mag is $20-$25, not to mention parts availability and compatibility.
    PPQ has superior trigger and ergos, but that wasn't enough for me. A higher bore axis and the parts issue did me in.

mags are now available on line for $32
    the higher bore axis is not something I care for either, but the things are stupid accurate. Especially the long slide, which I have shot

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    1. It doesn't feel good in my hand. I've actually never held a Walther that did aside from the .380 models.
    2. From an aesthetic point of view, it looks like a High Point to me.
    I just can't get past how ugly it is. The new(ish) Berettas are just as futuristic and ugly, too.

Why don't you kids today go buy the new Walther CCP which the Chhhhermans debuted at IWA recently?
    Now if it was the CCCP I'd be more interested.

Alcohol and strippers, the gun industries two greatest salesmen.:D
    Wasn't there a book on the Glock that delved into that?

I imagine in a lot of shooters minds Walther == old school PPK and P38. They've got to overcome this.
    Love my Interarms PPK/s sweet little gun.
    Here's a perfect example to prove my point. We're discussing the PPQ in this thread and a user comes in saying nothing about the PPQ, but praises the old (Interarms) PPK.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Huh. I have seen the Avengers 3 times, and have never noticed any M&P's.

Me either, but I was spending most of the time looking at Scarlett Johansson.

Honestly, while I have to admit that I'm sure I'm influenced by movie guns, the biggest driver currently for me in buying pistols lately are whether they come with a factory threaded barrel or if I can get an aftermarket one fairly easily. For that reason, I have considered buying a PPQ, though in the end I decided it was a little too pricey and bough an M&P 9 threaded instead (it was $100 cheaper). Really, I'd like to see some threaded barrels for the Ruger SR9s and SR45s. Those pistols seem nice and the price is pretty hard to beat (though I've been keeping my eye on a chance to pick up a threaded XD for a good price as well).

Actually, though, the other main influence point other than movies is video games, especially for MSRs (granted we are talking about handguns).

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    People don't want them because they don't say "Glock"

They aren't in rap songs, TV show references, or gun rags nearly as often as their competators.

BTW - If more people would purchase, the price of mags would go down. ANY quality pistol with a very limited market share has expensive mags.

I don't own one because I own a P99, which I feel is the superior gun. The old paddle style mag catch is one of the reasons I love it so much. I feel like they caved in to peer pressure by switching back to a generic button. Walthers marketing department probably thinks it will help them sell more guns to the Xenophobic mass that are steryotypical gun owners... Bad move IMO. Sometimes being different is a good thing.

Top Bottom