• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I haven't seen The Avengers either yet I carry a M&P. Unpossible

Not impossible. The Avengers created the buzz which in turn sold guns to those in your peer gun. You decided to look at the gun and consider purchase.

Sales: it's all about the buzz.

You are tenacious. Once you grab onto an idea nothing will dissuade you.

AND a sharp dresser and a smooth dance partner.

No, I am just right about this.

People ask why isn't the Blastomatic 2000 more popular? Ask which movie it was in. Movies and tv drive gun sales.

If Hollywood figured this out, they would make nothing but sword movies.:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Evan inspired me to check out M&P's with his intelligent and non-movie driven "real world review" about his switch from Glock to M&P. I hadn't seen The Avengers at the time (not even sure if it was out yet).

A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

Correct, The Avengers came out in April of 2012. At the time of the born on date of that paen thread, Hawaii 5-0 was featuring the M&P which gave a big bump in sales, but The Avengers was the best advertising Smith & Wesson campaign in decades!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So what about all the firearms making movie appearances that didn't lead to a spike in sales? Did the A-team, Taken 2, and Robobcop just fail to resonate with Beretta Storm buyers like the Avengers' siren song to the M&P? What about Minority Report and Punisher just not have the marketing capability for the Beretta 9000S? Did 1911 and M1 sales take off after Clint said "Get off my Lawn" like .44 mag sales took off when he said "make my day"?

Sometimes guns enter pop culture through movies, no doubt, but obviously simply being in a movie doesn't equate to success in sales.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Did the A-team, Taken 2, and Robobcop just fail to resonate with Beretta Storm buyers like the Avengers' siren song to the M&P?

Run the numbers on all your movies listed. All three combined cannot touch The Avengers.

Sometimes guns enter pop culture through movies, no doubt, but obviously simply being in a movie doesn't equate to success in sales.

Sometimes? Without the movies and television, gun companies would have to close.

If a gun makes it a popular television show or movie, it will sell like hot cakes.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I know I don't own one for the same reason I don't own a lot of other guns. When I purchased my EDC the PPQ and others were outside of my price range. I'm sure they're great firearms and would love the opportunity to buy one eventually but for now my M&P serves me well.

Sure Smith and Wesson and other manufactures benefit from Hollywood marketing. So do car manufacturers, books, makeup, toys...the list goes on. Why should guns be any different? As long as the product is a good one then the marketing will attract new customers and those customers will then talk up the product and help sell it to potential new customers. The sales will only continue long term if the product is a good one. We still talk about the Avengers being the break out point for the M&P, do we still talk about the Joker and his Redhawk? Nowhere near as often... After the marketing campaign the quality and usefulness of the product must speak for itself. I and plenty of others think the M&P has done exactly that. Why should I care if a movie sparked the sales?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Reasons to Choose Glock 17 over Walther PPQ

1. Used Glocks for $400, sometimes less, sometimes a little more
    2. Virtually unlimited supply of factory magazines at $25 for new, sometimes less
    3. Everyone who makes holsters makes holsters for G17/G19
    4. Everyone who makes aftermarket sights makes them for Glock
    5. Because they're cheap, you can have multiples to suit your needs

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I just traded a Kahr TP45 for a Walther P99 QA. The bore is higher than my Glock, but about the same as my S&W 5904. If it shoots as well as the 5904 I will be pleased.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Reasons to Choose Glock 17 over Walther PPQ

1. Used Glocks for $400, sometimes less, sometimes a little more
    2. Virtually unlimited supply of factory magazines at $25 for new, sometimes less
    3. Everyone who makes holsters makes holsters for G17/G19
    4. Everyone who makes aftermarket sights makes them for Glock
    5. Because they're cheap, you can have multiples to suit your needs

Screw that. I want the Glock 8 because it was in Die Hard.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Huh. I have seen the Avengers 3 times, and have never noticed any M&P's.

Which is part of the reason I'm not buying the concept. Dirty Harry's gun was distinctive for its day and age. It played a pivotal role in the movie, had its own little intro speech, etc. There's no doubt it caused a huge spike in S&W's sales. Black plastic guns all pretty much look alike, especially to the layman.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Which is part of the reason I'm not buying the concept. Dirty Harry's gun was distinctive for its day and age. It played a pivotal role in the movie, had its own little intro speech, etc. There's no doubt it caused a huge spike in S&W's sales. Black plastic guns all pretty much look alike, especially to the layman.

:runaway: KF hissy fit in 3..2..1...

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Been getting great input on the PPQ. Good responses to my original question. And I think Kirk Freeman makes a valid point about movie buzz creating interest in certain models of guns. But which do you think has more impact now with the internet forms being such a factor? Movie buzz or a gun being talked up on gun forums?

Guess I am the odd man out again. I have never bought a gun because it was popular from a movie. Two things bring my attention to a gun. First recommendations, from other shooters and known shootists like Hickok45. Second manufacturers reputation for producing quality and reliable guns.

Some things that have been mentioned.

You can tune a Glock or M&P to have a great trigger. So why spend the money, time and effort to get a great trigger when you can just buy a PPQ and have a great trigger right out of the box? If you want a project or something to tinker with then yes a Glock or M&P are great guns for that. Personally I would rather just buy a gun that is good to go and not have to dump aftermarket parts into it or gunsmithing work, to get it to shoot like I want.

After market parts. Yes Glock has everyone beat in this department. But again all I'm looking for usually are sights. And you can find after market sights for the PPQ. I am not changing mine as the PPQ comes with adequate sights. Now if I were going to use if for a range gun or competition then a different story. As the PPQ becomes more popular, just as the M&P first had little to offer in aftermarket parts (except for triggers, which were in high demand) more after market parts will be there. As in holsters, etc. Remember that the PPQ is built on the P99 so things like sights listed for the P99 (which has been out for while) will work on the PPQ. Just note the PPQ and P99 do not have the exact same frame so kydex holsters will not be interchangeable.

The grip, that is totally subjective and all the major manufacturers have tried to address this with interchangeable back straps, including the PPQ. I have run across few people that didn't think the PPQ had a great feel. But hey you are not going to please everyone. Point being like the M&P most people really like the feel of the gun that is a good place to start.

High bore axis. Yes the PPQ has a slightly higher bore axis than say a Glock. This should translate into more muzzle flip / felt recoil. Felt recoil also is somewhat subjective so I will leave it at that. Muzzle flip does effect follow up shots. But the trigger and feel of the gun are more important to me and the PPQ has everyone beat in that department for me. So for a competition gun this might be a serious consideration. For me as a combat gun or self defense gun it is negotiable. Just my opinion. My CZ 75b has a low bore axis is great at the range. But it is a little heavy for a carry gun. All things to consider.

Top Bottom