• Status
    Not open for further replies.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    “A LendingTree survey found 57% of HOA members said it has made their lives easier.”

“Even so, 63% said they felt their HOA fees were fairly priced for the benefits they receive.”

How many of those are condo's vs single family residences? If it includes both I would be surprised if the numbers weren't higher. I think anyone wishing to love in a condo is already ok with the idea of an HOA, compared to someone buying a stand alone home.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The march toward 5000 posts continues. Mike has at least posted some surveys supporting his position. Still refuses to accept that HOAs are a self fulfilling prophecy. It's simply a matter of time. What the people want be damned, they aren't the supermajority.
    Those against the HOA are not even a majority. LOL

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    How many of those are condo's vs single family residences? If it includes both I would be surprised if the numbers weren't higher. I think anyone wishing to love in a condo is already ok with the idea of an HOA, compared to someone buying a stand alone home.
    I think one of the links addressed this, but don’t remember which one. It is a fair point. I know you are big on the freedom aspect however there are others that have a different take on freedom than you do and theirs is just as valid as yours. Just as my freedom for landowners and sellers point is true and valid.

From the study posted above: “Most single-family houses constructed in the United States in recent years are part of a common interest development (“CID”), governed by a homeowners association (“HOA”). While rare until the 1960s, HOAs have come to house a fifth of Americans, a proliferation that Guberman (2004) called “one of the most significant privatizations of local government functions in history.

Many believe that the private HOA has privatized many things government has or would have taken up thereby actually giving the members of an HOA more freedom and control than they would have under government. I know personally people that have called on government only to be told that it is a private HOA matter.

Bottom line is if one is going to live in crowded cities someone is making and enforcing rules/laws/covenants I would rather it be the one I have the most control over. If one lives in the country a quarter mile away from the neighbors there is little need for an HOA but I assure you there are laws and zoning where you live

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    And this study blows up another line of INGO BS

“In the U.S., nearly 60% of recently built single-family houses, and 80% of houses in new subdivisions, are part of a homeowners association (HOA). We construct the first near-national map of HOAs using publicly recorded mortgage records for single-family homes. We use these data to document the growth and characteristics of HOAs as well as to examine their relationship with housing prices. We find that houses in HOAs have prices that are on average at least 4%, or $13,500, greater than observably similar houses outside of HOAs.”

"People living in HOA neighborhoods, who are on average more affluent and racially segregated"

Proof that HOAs are racist!

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I haven’t noticed these in neighborhoods yet but I have seen them at the Lowes stores around here.

View attachment 366154
    UGH. This is going to have to stop. It subverts the due process allowing the police unfettered access to everyone that drives past because Flock is voluntarily sharing the info with LEO and without public consent or a warrant.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

Seems like a lot of pickup trucks parked at different houses when they shot that video. And a nightly "safety patrol" - wow. But did they know that when they moved in? It sounds like they all did.

It is the rule, no matter if it's BS, and also sounds like that HOA is tripping. I'm sure they have language to get it changed...

But alas, classic INGO. Guy signs and agrees to a legal document (even says "Deed restricted" on the neighborhood signage), breaks it, and is cheered. Different guy makes a deal and doesn't honor his word - burn him at the stake!!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    But alas, classic INGO. Guy signs and agrees to a legal document (even says "Deed restricted" on the neighborhood signage), breaks it, and is cheered. Different guy makes a deal and doesn't honor his word - burn him at the stake!!
    If one likes an HOA because it has builtin deed restrictions but wants to make it illegal for another with no deed restrictions to sell farmland to China. That person, in my eyes, is inconsisten in their application of property rights....except for the consistency in wanting to place restrictions on others.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If one likes an HOA because it has builtin deed restrictions but wants to make it illegal for another with no deed restrictions to sell farmland to China. That person, in my eyes, is inconsisten in their application of property rights....except for the consistency in wanting to place restrictions on others.
    In what world is national sovereignty and private agreements between consenting citizens comparable?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Straw.

Your point is the owner has the right to sell and place/have covenants on the deed. That is one sided. Not an agreement.
    Can you explain just who and how anyone is forcing a buyer to buy that land? What stops a buyer from negotiating with the seller? Nothing! That is how agreements are.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Can you explain just who and how anyone is forcing a buyer to buy that land? What stops a buyer from negotiating with the seller? Nothing! That is how agreements are.
    I am talking about the rights of the owner. Never said anything about the buyer.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Your point is the owner has the right to sell and place/have covenants on the deed. That is one sided. Not an agreement.
    I am talking about the rights of the owner. Never said anything about the buyer.
    Owners have every right and freedom “to sell and place/have covenants on the deed” anything else TAKES RIGHTS AWAY. You don’t have the right to sell anything you own as you wish? Who tells you the details of how you sell your gun? Your car? Even your time? No one!

If there is no buyer who is an agreement with? Yourself?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Owners have every right and freedom “to sell and place/have covenants on the deed” anything else TAKES RIGHTS AWAY. You don’t have the right to sell anything you own as you wish? Who tells you the details of how you sell your gun? Your car? Even your time? No one!

If there is no buyer who is an agreement with? Yourself?
    The government is not a buyer or a seller. Should they be granted any further rights to restrict the pool of buyers outside the desires of the owner?

The owner also has the rights to choose to sell. A buyer is not necessary for an owner who does not wish to sell.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That point has been the biggest surprise of the thread for me. I really would have expected “my word is my bond” kind of people to believe and support the following of any agreement folks have agreed to.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The government is not a buyer or a seller. Should they be granted any further rights to restrict the pool of buyers outside the desires of the owner?

The owner also has the rights to choose to sell. A buyer is not necessary for an owner who does not wish to sell.
    This discussion makes no sense, is this really Joe Biden? When did government enter the topic?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom