Not open for further replies.

1776goat

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 8, 2023
    Nashville
    Wow, where did you live where they voted in new rules? In 15yrs at my last house, the biggest issue was getting enough votes/proxies in to be able to pass a budget and normal items. Exactly zero new rules were passed while I lived there.

And yes, I had to get HOA approval to put up my fence and flag pole, but I knew that going in...
    My examples were from 15ish years ago when I lived in Beech Grove and also friends who currently live in Brownsburg.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I haven't read the whole thread, but I've had a mediocre experience with an HOA and a good one, so far. The previous one had people suing each other right and left over a mailbox. The one I'm in now seems to be reasonable.

I did my homework before coming to my current neighborhood and everyone with whom I spoke felt pretty good about the HOA. So far, so good. But I also knew what I was getting into. I saw the covenants.

Personally, I like that it prevents crappy old broken down wooden privacy fences and run down storage sheds. Oh, and above ground pools.

They did give me a warning over a big package that was delivered in my driveway. I guess some nosy neighbor thought it had been there for over a day but it was actually moved into the garage only 2 hours after delivery. They sent me a warning letter that said if it was there more than 72 hours I would get some kind of double secret probation. I told the HOA manager/rep that it had only been there two hours but that I'd be happy to keep it out there for 71 hours, if he'd like. Lol. He was cool about it and apologized for an over-aggressive neighbor and said he'd take note of her error in case she keeps filing complaints on people.

Flame on.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This quote is from a coworker of mine in Iceland, 96–98… People suck.

I mentioned this because it seems like whether it’s government, or a homeowners association, the problem is people suck.

I am currently sitting miles from the nearest homeowners association in the heart of Washington county, about halfway between Mitchell and Salem. The wind is coming out of the west northwest… I can guarantee you there is a hog farm near here living in the country, that is to be expected, if you don’t like the smell of manure… Don’t live in the country.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    This is simple. Is the flag flying in the covenants? If yes, then the vet agreed to it and is reneging. If not the board is exceeding their authority.
    Thanks for proving you didn't watch. It wasn't even a long video but it answered your questions, including why so many hate HOAs. You keep getting answered but then get angry that people don't see your envisioned views. They do see your view, telling why they still don't like it while you smugly answer back. You've not only changed zero minds to like HOAs, but I'm pretty sure you pushed more people into hating them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Thanks for proving you didn't watch. It wasn't even a long video but it answered your questions, including why so many hate HOAs. You keep getting answered but then get angry that people don't see your envisioned views. They do see your view, telling why they still don't like it while you smugly answer back. You've not only changed zero minds to like HOAs, but I'm pretty sure you pushed more people into hating them.
    I don’t watch videos for anyone, not my thing. My answer is the truth, don’t need a video. Not angry at anything. Not trying to change any minds, just get people to understand what they are and how they come to be. Many seem to think they just appear out of thin air to dictate to people.

My hope is people are more aware and make proper choices for themselves instead of blindly buying in a neighborhood with an HOA expecting the neighborhood to adapt to them.

Oh, I also find it funny that folks out in the sticks of Indiana that have no dog in the fight are so impassioned by the choices of city and suburban folks.

Last edited:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    You are asking why a forum dedicated to firearms ownership has a bias against a group of authoritarian people telling them what to do. Your question is its own answer.

This is a good summary ^

Love this video example. Also Fat Electrician and Fat Files are some of my favorite videos.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Are you aware they have used the power of government to mimic an HOA in some ways by creating historical districts in that area. So they have the neighborhood nannies there too.
    Oh, so is the Historical District’s existence justification for HOAs or the other way around because neither of them are worth a squirt of **** and cannot stand legitimately on their own.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Then why ask the question if you don't want the answer?
    This started with a false premise.

“You are asking why a forum dedicated to firearms ownership has a bias against a group of authoritarian people telling them what to do. Your question is its own answer.”

This is not how it is in the real world, and the topic evolved into people being authoritarian by saying property owners should not be allowed to sell their property the way they wish because nobody should be able to retain any rights over property they sold all because no one can tell them what to do.

A HOA and covenants are an agreement, no one is forced to buy into a HOA.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    This started with a false premise.

“You are asking why a forum dedicated to firearms ownership has a bias against a group of authoritarian people telling them what to do. Your question is its own answer.”

This is not how it is in the real world, and the topic evolved into people being authoritarian by saying property owners should not be allowed to sell their property the way they wish because nobody should be able to retain any rights over property they sold all because no one can tell them what to do.

A HOA and covenants are an agreement, no one is forced to buy into a HOA.
    Except you didn't answer my question. Why ask a question you don't want the answer to?
    That's it. That's the question. You asked a question, others answered but you didn't want their answers. So, why ask a question you don't want the answer to?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Oh, so is the Historical District’s existence justification for HOAs or the other way around because neither of them are worth a squirt of **** and cannot stand legitimately on their own.
    Since HOA’s are a business agreement between consenting parties they very well stand on their own like any other contract.

Historical districts are problematic because of the very things you accuse HOA’s of. The issue of preserving history through HD on private owners I don’t like but I can see why they exist.

A friend sold their amazingly cool old Victorian house in Frankfort many years ago, it was so well preserved and they did everything in their power to keep it original. Beautiful black walnut baseboards, marble fireplaces, transom windows. The buyers talked a great game about how much they loved the place but some month after it sold my friends drove by the house and were aghast, it was for sale again at about 2/3ds the price they got for it and all the historical wood, windows, fireplaces, fixtures were gone, been strippped out to sell in San Francisco to the wealthy.

It is the owners right to do so but man the history lost their to the entire community was terrible. So I see why some communities do HD’s…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    When one buys in a neighborhood with an HOA they are agreeing to abide by the covenants and if those covenants include an HOA they are agreeing to that as well as the payments.

Sounds like some real winners here. From the article.

"It’s just not possible for someone to have been foreclosed upon out of the blue under Georgia law," said Howard, who doesn’t represent Quigley’s former HOA, but said broadly that Georgia has "strict parameters" for levying fines and for foreclosure.

“Howard added, "When a lawsuit’s filed, you have to be personally served. So the sheriff would have come out and served them with the lawsuit." She said homeowners would have received further notices when a judgment is reached and that a notice of foreclosure would have to run for four weeks in the county legal paper.”

“Quigley said she was served with the initial lawsuit, but that after she filed for bankruptcy and started paying her dues again, she was not personally served with any additional notices.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So, in an HSA, if you get complaints on you from a neighbor, is it anonymous like in Soviet Russia and you get a visit from the KGB er HOA agent, or do you get to face your accuser like in 'Merica!?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Some people aren’t willing to sacrifice liberty for safety.
    Now HOAs are unsafe?

My examples were from 15ish years ago when I lived in Beech Grove and also friends who currently live in Brownsburg.
    That was not my recent experience in Brownsburg. Beech Grove has gone way down hill overall in recent years.

So HOAs exist to keep the peasants in check?
    When did I say that? Why is it some have issues with a 100% legal agreement between consenting adults? Again, no one is  forced to join an HOA.

No. Some people aspire to live better, get that first house under their belt, sell it and move up. People that don’t care are the problem and that is not related to income.
    If HOAs are so bad, why are homes in HOA neighborhoods selling the instant they are listed, whereas homes just a neighborhood over in a non HOA neighborhood take time to sell? It seems to be the opposite of what most in this thread believe...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom