Not open for further replies.

1776goat

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 8, 2023
    Nashville
    The price of the home? You realize many of these neighborhoods were about 150k not long ago...

In those older neighborhoods the lots are MUCH larger, giving a bit more buffer space. Even without an HOA, you could slip a RV in and no one could see it. Hardly possible in the newer subdivisions (that have HOAs).

The HOA provides protection, no one is forced to join.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like a case of control. If you cant afford to buy the lot next to you for the scenic view you desire then sell your place and move, I did. Classic case of entitlement. Some wonder why it is so prevelent in the new generation. I have an idea where it was seeded....

Skip Schippers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2024
    Fort Wayne
    I live in Fort Wayne and I am a member of a HOA board. I was voted on the board after a couple months of attending meetings our board does some good things are HOA fee is only $80 a year and they maintain 4 playgrounds in the neighborhood for kids to play basketball swing sets. We also use the funds for mowing and if the city doesn’t plow by 6:30 in the morning in the winter a sub contractor comes in and plows it . Out of 452 homes we usually only have problems with a couple people in the neighborhood and it’s usually the same 3 or 4 every one else wants a nice property and it shows I have lived in the neighborhood for 5 years my property has doubled in price and usually a house put up for sale lasts less than a week for sale . It’s not for everyone but I was grown up in the country and I don’t mind it I have wonderful neighbors and a few have become friends

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    There are good HOA's & bad HOA's. Some are minimal in restrictions & reasonable, others are not. I have seen both ends of the spectrum, those that limit how much & what kind of livestock along with road maintenance to those that dictate what colors you can paint your trim & what kind of landscape you can have.

Some have a Barney & a Festus, others have just one, some have none.

Some attorney firms have seen them as a cash cow & taken over management, charging fees for all kinds of things.

We have some friends in Johnson co that are in one, a substantial % are delinquent in dues while the HOA seems to be critical on those who are current while not persuing those that are delinquent.

My advice, exercise your right & due diligence when purchasing a home & review the HOA covenants & restrictions, if they are egregious or don't coordinate with your lifestyle then terminate the purchase according to the terms of your purchase agreement.

MAKE SURE YOUR AGENT RESERVES YOUR RIGHT IN A REASONABLE TIME FRAME TO DO SO.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like a case of control. If you cant afford to buy the lot next to you for the scenic view you desire then sell your place and move, I did. Classic case of entitlement. Some wonder why it is so prevelent in the new generation. I have an idea where it was seeded....
    No entitlement here, I knew about the HOA when I bought that place (as does everyone when they buy into a subdivision with a HOA). How does that make me entitled? I knew the rules (and even broke some)...

Even if you buy the subdivision lot next to you (typically 0.25ac) next to you, it doesn't give you much protection...

I sold both my HOA places and now can't see my neighbors, have my own personal lake, and just took the boys out back shooting.

As I've said before HOAs have their place and they aren't for everyone...

But I'm a fan. Being in an HOA kept my neighborhood up and certainly helped maintain my property value as I sold it for 2.5x more than I paid...

I live in Fort Wayne and I am a member of a HOA board. I was voted on the board after a couple months of attending meetings our board does some good things are HOA fee is only $80 a year and they maintain 4 playgrounds in the neighborhood for kids to play basketball swing sets. We also use the funds for mowing and if the city doesn’t plow by 6:30 in the morning in the winter a sub contractor comes in and plows it . Out of 452 homes we usually only have problems with a couple people in the neighborhood and it’s usually the same 3 or 4 every one else wants a nice property and it shows I have lived in the neighborhood for 5 years my property has doubled in price and usually a house put up for sale lasts less than a week for sale . It’s not for everyone but I was grown up in the country and I don’t mind it I have wonderful neighbors and a few have become friends
    Those dues aren't bad. We had about 400 homes and paid $120/qtr. Plenty of grass needed to be maintained, every year they replaced some trees, and of course the pool, pool house, playground, and tennis court upkeeps. I never did join the board, talk about a thankless job with hands that are often tied...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    True ownership means I should be able to own it free and clear.

Generational commitments degrade ownership.

Those that are in favor of HOAs must also be in favor of property taxes since when the property was bought, the contract with the state was in place that during the ownership period, the state can impose its will on you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My home/property is worth 90% more than I paid 5.5 years ago. That’s a larger increase than the last house I lived for 15 years with an HOA.

Your property value increased so dramatically because your politicians decided to print trillions of dollars, not because it’s actually more valuable. HOAs certainly can contribute to maintaining property values but they certainly aren’t a necessity. Plenty of properties in the north Meridian street corridor in Indy serve as prime examples. 10th acre lots for blocks and blocks which have been impressively maintained for decades without needing babysitters.

1776goat

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 8, 2023
    Nashville
    [/QUOTE]
    No entitlement here, I knew about the HOA when I bought that place (as does everyone when they buy into a subdivision with a HOA). How does that make me entitled? I knew the rules (and even broke some)...

Even if you buy the subdivision lot next to you (typically 0.25ac) next to you, it doesn't give you much protection...

I sold both my HOA places and now can't see my neighbors, have my own personal lake, and just took the boys out back shooting.

As I've said before HOAs have their place and they aren't for everyone...

But I'm a fan. Being in an HOA kept my neighborhood up and certainly helped maintain my property value as I sold it for 2.5x more than I paid...

Those dues aren't bad. We had about 400 homes and paid $120/qtr. Plenty of grass needed to be maintained, every year they replaced some trees, and of course the pool, pool house, playground, and tennis court upkeeps. I never did join the board, talk about a thankless job with hands that are often tied...
    Entitlement is telling another man what to do with his dirt. Especially for your own monetary gain. Also you sold your HOA properties for your own lake and freedom to shoot. The rest of your take is fluff to the facts. Respectfully.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    My home/property is worth 90% more than I paid 5.5 years ago. That’s a larger increase than the last house I lived for 15 years with an HOA.

Your property value increased so dramatically because your politicians decided to print trillions of dollars, not because it’s actually more valuable. HOAs certainly can contribute to maintaining property values but they certainly aren’t a necessity. Plenty of properties in the north Meridian street corridor in Indy serve as prime examples. 10th acre lots for blocks and blocks which have been impressively maintained for decades without needing babysitters.
    Yep, but I'll take my 252% over 90% any day.

Looking at the values out here in the sticks, they didn't increase as quickly as the highly sought after HOA properties...

In your example you pointed out 10ac lots, that's a far cry from the typical suburban HOA lot of .25ac (I'm throwing out Creedmoor's atypical example)...

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Entitlement is telling another man what to do with his dirt. Especially for your own monetary gain. Also you sold your HOA properties for your own lake and freedom to shoot. The rest of your take is fluff to the facts. Respectfully.

Except I didn't. The other man signed the same agreement between two private parties that I did. I was free to sign, no one held a gun to my head to sign it...

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Those that are in favor of HOAs must also be in favor of property taxes since when the property was bought, the contract with the state was in place that during the ownership period, the state can impose its will on you.
    Not exactly, but I can understand why property taxes exist and have yet to see a better alternative that's been proposed.

Life is nothing more than a game. Folks need to figure out how to win the game, not just take it sitting down and/or lose the game...

trader

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2023
    indiana
    HOA leadership attracts fascists, i know, i escaped from one! There is a saying which is true and you'll have heard it. "POWER CORRUPTS GOOD MEN". Giving power, to what formally was a good man, unleashes the ugly fascist beast within him. The HOA i escaped from, illegally was fining ppl, inventing rules the orginal charter did not give them power. So i escaped~
    Now on my 12 arces, i can shoot my guns off my deck, naked even if i want. I can burn my trash. My office is on my land and i have walked back acrossed my parking lot in the evening just wearing sandals LOL. Never said it was a pretty site LOL. But i'm FREE to do what the F i want on MY LAND.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What the heck is wrong with folks if similar goals agreeing to how they will live together? But those that are selfish cannot see that as an agreement, they see it as limiting their choices all while they want to limit others choices and restrict land owners of their freedoms.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Thank heaven the all knowing and wise beyond all is here to educate us. It couldn’t be that people understand fully everything they need to and still do not like HOAs. You confuse your different values with higher intelligence which is why your threads go nowhere.

You like HOAs, we get it. It isn’t because you understand them better, it’s because you value having control over others. I and many like me don’t and it isn’t out of ignorance.

You can relax. You’re in no danger here you’re just among few friends in some of your values.
    It is your way of thinking that strips land owners of their freedoms. Damn commie…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My dislike for them comes from, as a young broke student working for one. I everything was personal and every act part of an ace to grind by the representatives of the HOA I even seen people loose their homes over it. Made ma a wary of local representation as that at a national scale.
    I suppose this possible but my experience is different, we literally had to recruit or draft board members.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It is your way of thinking that strips land owners of their freedoms. Damn commie…
    You mean the people who buy and own the property? Oh no, wait… you mean the guy who used to own the property. Oh, now I get it, makes perfect sense. If I sell you my corvette, it’s my right as the previous owner to limit how fast the new owner can drive it.

Yes, yes, that is how things should work. I’ve been brought into the light…..

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom