Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    For example, the chances of indyblue working on restoring cares in the drive for seven years is far greater than the risk of the neighborhood changing the covenants because changing the covenants requires the agreement of a significant portion of the neighborhood to pass.

I have absolutely nothing against indyblue restoring cars in his drive, but I would now choose not to live next to him. As I posted previously I did similar at a house I owned when I was younger, but was glad to leave that place because of a lot of crap that went on in the neighborhood.

My front window is about twenty feet from my neighbors driveway, anything they do there I can hear in my house. I don’t want “the noise of a compressor, sandblaster and lots of dust“ twenty feet from my house. Do any of you really want that? What would your wife say to that? How about families with kids trying to put them to bed early or down for a nap while all that is going on?

So through the covenants of my neighborhood we all agreed we wouldn’t do that. Should we not have that freedom? @phylodog knows what he wants, which is what I also would want if I had 14 acres, but on a small lot I don’t want that. It is great we have choices…
    If you don't want to do something, then don't do it.

That does not apply to others.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Only due to the fact that it’s near impossible to get away from them in the suburbs and unfortunately for me my job required that I live within the county. Not much of a choice when the commies have been allowed to run rampant.

I lived under a completely useless HOA for 15 years so I get an opinion.
    There are a lot of options in Indy that do not have covenants and an HOA, why didn’t you buy in one of those?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If you don't want to do something, then don't do it.

That does not apply to others.
    So you are saying I must deal with “the noise of a compressor, sandblaster and lots of dust“ and probably fumes of bodywork, sounds of grinders etc. and I don’t or shouldn’t have the the ability to reach a formal agreement with the neighbors that we will not do that?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So you are saying I must deal with “the noise of a compressor, sandblaster and lots of dust“ and probably fumes of bodywork, sounds of grinders etc. and I don’t or shouldn’t have the the ability to reach a formal agreement with the neighbors that we will not do that?
    As you said.
    It's your choice.
    Too close... then don't move there

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There are a lot of options in Indy that do not have covenants and an HOA, why didn’t you buy in one of those?
    I was under pressure to find someplace quickly, it was very much a seller's market and I had a small area to consider as we were not forcing my wife's son to change schools and his school was on the far side of the neighboring county. I didn't have the luxury of taking my time and finding exactly what I wanted.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    For example, the chances of indyblue working on restoring cares in the drive for seven years is far greater than the risk of the neighborhood changing the covenants because changing the covenants requires the agreement of a significant portion of the neighborhood to pass.

I have absolutely nothing against indyblue restoring cars in his drive, but I would now choose not to live next to him. As I posted previously I did similar at a house I owned when I was younger, but was glad to leave that place because of a lot of crap that went on in the neighborhood.

My front window is about twenty feet from my neighbors driveway, anything they do there I can hear in my house. I don’t want “the noise of a compressor, sandblaster and lots of dust“ twenty feet from my house. Do any of you really want that? What would your wife say to that? How about families with kids trying to put them to bed early or down for a nap while all that is going on?

So through the covenants of my neighborhood we all agreed we wouldn’t do that. Should we not have that freedom? @phylodog knows what he wants, which is what I also would want if I had 14 acres, but on a small lot I don’t want that. It is great we have choices…
    Exactly this!!!

I'd rather hear from someone that has experienced both sides than not...

I know that HOA's vary.

I also don't tend to speak in absolutes. Some here constantly do on all topics and it's tiring.

Most but not all things are a sliding scale.
    I've also experienced both and enjoyed my time on 0.19ac with an HOA for the reasons said above, but really enjoy my time on my current 15ac, with my son out on his canoe right now and me about to hang a new target.
    Only due to the fact that it’s near impossible to get away from them in the suburbs and unfortunately for me my job required that I live within the county. Not much of a choice when the commies have been allowed to run rampant.

I lived under a completely useless HOA for 15 years so I get an opinion.
    You knew that when you signed up for the job. I almost took that plunge, and many of the FFs and cops I know moved out to the donut counties (or even Putnam if they could get away with it), as soon as they could.
    I disagree.
    Other people can vote against your wishes. And if you do not do as they say, then there can be fines, or foreclosure
    Good luck getting enough folks to vote / send in their proxies to get anything passed...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You knew that when you signed up for the job. I almost took that plunge, and many of the FFs and cops I know moved out to the donut counties (or even Putnam if they could get away with it), as soon as they could.
    No ****? I wasn't allowed to move out of county, even after the remainder of the department could. I was on the SWAT team for 12 years and did not have that option. Sometimes things in life change, wasn't an issue until I married my wife and she wasn't from the area. I never complained about it, like you mentioned I knew it when I took the job. It was what it was and it was the situation I was in. Sure would have been a lot more pleasant living there for 15 years had it not been for the HOA but people need an outlet for pettiness.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    How many folks who can afford million dollar homes would do things to them outside the norms (that HOA covenants prevent)?
    Mike had a story a while back about a homeowner mad about something who painted the entire exterior of his house pepto-bismol pink

That seems kind of outside the norms

Friends live in an allotment in NW Michigan on the lakeshore where the original landowner retained a sizable lot and exempted himself from the covenants. Seems like he might have had prior HOA experience

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So I guess living on post is like a crazy strict HOA grass no more than 3 in, no oil spots in driveway, motorcycles must be covered, quite time 2200, MP’s write you a ticket for your child’s behavior on and on.

A pain in a$$.

My neighbor’s are cool they love it when my wife starts her Super Stock.

Air compressor check
    Welding check
    Grinder check
    Loud cussing when I hurt myself check

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So is a historical district, like an HOA on steroids (with the power of .gov behind them)?
    Yes. They are empowered to maintain the historic character of the houses and attract the same type of busybody that HOAs do

Some examples from one of ours (German Village): Nothing but wood framed windows and wood storm windows used to provide winter insulation, no screen or storm doors whatsoever, roofing materials required to be approved by the commission and one individual required to have his roof redone because a ridge vent was installed to control mold, no security lighting, no external security cameras (not even ring doorbells) and on and on

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So I guess living on post is like a crazy strict HOA grass no more than 3 in, no oil spots in driveway, motorcycles must be covered, quite time 2200, MP’s write you a ticket for your child’s behavior on and on.

A pain in a$$.

My neighbor’s are cool they love it when my wife starts her Super Stock.

Air compressor check
    Welding check
    Grinder check
    Loud cussing when I hurt myself check
    I am glad you and I both have the option to do it how we want.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Mike had a story a while back about a homeowner mad about something who painted the entire exterior of his house pepto-bismol pink

That seems kind of outside the norms
    But those people are out there.

Friends live in an allotment in NW Michigan on the lakeshore where the original landowner retained a sizable lot and exempted himself from the covenants. Seems like he might have had prior HOA experience
    The property owner has that right. I would probably make the same choice.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I traded things I didn’t want or need for things more valuable to me. I did not trade control of my property.
    I disagree. It seems like the only control you have over your property is what goes on inside it, where theoretically the HOA board can't see it, and when to sell it and for how much - everything else you are either told when and how to do it (mowing, landscaping, painting and trim) or that you can't do it (have guests park in the street, park anything other than cars in your driveway, fly a flag, choose whatever color you want for your trim)

And even things inside the house can be affected, such as whether you can have a satellite dish or any type of antenna

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    I had a long diatribe typed out, but HOA's are just another layer of ******** bureaucracy I couldn't possibly respect or care about. I respect the .gov only to the point of absolute necessity and that's only because it is entirely hazardous to my health not to.
    Why would anyone elect to have someone else tell them what to do with their possessions at the risk of getting fined or booted? The whole thing seems like an abdication of responsibility to me.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I disagree. It seems like the only control you have over your property is what goes on inside it, where theoretically the HOA board can't see it, and when to sell it and for how much - everything else you are either told when and how to do it (mowing, landscaping, painting and trim) or that you can't do it (have guests park in the street, park anything other than cars in your driveway, fly a flag, choose whatever color you want for your trim)

And even things inside the house can be affected, such as whether you can have a satellite dish or any type of antenna
    Those things are true for a subset of HOA’s, none I have lived in but I know of some.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I had a long diatribe typed out, but HOA's are just another layer of ******** bureaucracy I couldn't possibly respect or care about. I respect the .gov only to the point of absolute necessity and that's only because it is entirely hazardous to my health not to.
    Why would anyone elect to have someone else tell them what to do with their possessions at the risk of getting fined or booted? The whole thing seems like an abdication of responsibility to me.
    Have you ever lived in a major city or suburb of on .20 acre lots?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom