• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, but what about the Patriot Act, Medicare Part D, No Child Left Behind, and endless war; not to mention all the crap they let Obama do under his tenure.

Patriot Act partially expired, then was partially renewed, with provisions related to the NSA.

NCLB appears to be fading in favor of more states given waivers.

Medicare stuff, I am pretty ignorant on (but getting closer every day to needing to know).

Endless war - blame the terrorists, not the conservatives.

Your Patriot Act thing reminded me, though, of the sunsetting of the AWB. That's gotta be counted as a victory.

Ultimately, there are, of course, examples going both ways. That does not mean conservativism failed. It only means that it did not triumph every time.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If you can't support the gays then war is next best solution for controlling the population.

This looks like English, but when you put the words together in that order, it makes me wonder if there is a spoof thread I'm missing.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

CNN should just run this chyron for the next 8 months.

CdSVXDQUUAAvKE3.jpg:large

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This is kind of like a chicken or egg question; what came first, terrorists, or US foreign policy meddling?

If you are into history, terrorists. At least the modern kind.

Unless you're really asking about French foreign policy in Algeria.

Or, unless you mean some kind of non-linked thing, where it depends on what you consider "US foreign policy meddling." Tell you what, I'll throw out August 1955 as the terrorist start-date and you tell me if that was before or after "US foreign policy meddling."

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Or, unless you mean some kind of non-linked thing, where it depends on what you consider "US foreign policy meddling." Tell you what, I'll throw out August 1955 as the terrorist start-date and you tell me if that was before or after "US foreign policy meddling."

:scratch:
    Emmitt Till?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    :scratch:
    Emmitt Till?

Wrong continent, wrong dispute. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Philippeville

Massacre of civilians to force the French out of Algeria. In scholarly circles it is sometimes considered the beginning of modern terrorism, because it was ultimately effective.

ETA2:
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JettaKnight again.
    I'll hit you up later, though. ;)

ETA:
    An example:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=LYmfmDa6MUEC&pg=PA158&lpg=PA158&dq=battle+of+philippeville+as+beginning+of+terrorism&source=bl&ots=2co0yHQWV3&sig=jemruhvezp8-Gyr2U7fR4n4wOug&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz0sLU-rHMAhXIwYMKHSTxBTkQ6AEIWTAJ#v=onepage&q=battle%20of%20philippeville%20as%20beginning%20of%20terrorism&f=false

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wrong continent, wrong dispute. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Philippeville

Massacre of civilians to force the French out of Algeria. In scholarly circles it is sometimes considered the beginning of modern terrorism, because it was ultimately effective.

ETA2:

I'll hit you up later, though. ;)

ETA:
    An example:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=LYmfmDa6MUEC&pg=PA158&lpg=PA158&dq=battle+of+philippeville+as+beginning+of+terrorism&source=bl&ots=2co0yHQWV3&sig=jemruhvezp8-Gyr2U7fR4n4wOug&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz0sLU-rHMAhXIwYMKHSTxBTkQ6AEIWTAJ#v=onepage&q=battle%20of%20philippeville%20as%20beginning%20of%20terrorism&f=false

Oh.

Then I recend my rep (or maybe it's still worthy), as I thought America's first run in with terrorist were Barbary Coast pirates.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh.

Then I recend my rep (or maybe it's still worthy), as I thought America's first run in with terrorist were Barbary Coast pirates.

See, I don't count them because they were pirates. They didn't really want any political victory. They wanted booty. (And, really, who doesn't.)

Which leads to a definition of terrorists/terrorism, which isn't as easy as you'd think. (Not you-you, I know you know the difficulty.) For me, the key points are: 1) organized, 2) but not a state, 3) attacks on civilian targets, 4) to achieve a political goal. The anarchists of the early 20th century, for me, don't count because they were more nihilists. They didn't want to create a new thing, they wanted to tear down the existing thing.

The FLN in Algeria were basically the prototype for later organizations like the PLO.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Trump is the most exciting thing to happen to the republican party since Ronald Reagan, and yet many republicans won't admit it, and fight it tooth and nail.

Reminds me of a statement of Robert F Kennedy which he attributed to an ancient Chinese curse. [FONT=Trebuchet MS, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]'May he live in interesting times'. Except worse. [/FONT]

If you can't support the gays then war is next best solution for controlling the population.

Please explain further.

This looks like English, but when you put the words together in that order, it makes me wonder if there is a spoof thread I'm missing.

I kinda agree. But unfortunately I've seen what I think he means brought forth before.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

What about the old man of the mountain and the hashishim? Or the thuggees

Or the Hagana and Irgun

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom