• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would like to build a replica or more modern version of Jack Roush's (I think it was his) 4 door Maverick...the Tiawana taxi. But I would go with a fuel injected BBF

I saw that car run.
    4 door got a weight brake and some other advantages.

Back in 1982 or 83 I saw a couple of Mavericks at grudge night at Clermont. One guys went home with both of them after he won!

Sorry. It got hot and we got busy, then the boss sent me on a beer run. The winner is Rusty. We have four Miatas that come in and all are owned by guys in their 60s.

Unpossible!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Loved run whatch ya brung nights at the park.

Amen!

Where else can you see a rail job racing some kid in his dad's station wagon (which we saw!).

The last night I was there the two rail cars were dominating until a guy with a late 60s Corvette drove into the park (bet he had a trailer nearby!). He ran low to mid 9 seconds and hit 158 mph at the end on one run. It was an impressive car . . . not sure what he had under the hood or if it was really street legal or not!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Amen!

Where else can you see a rail job racing some kid in his dad's station wagon (which we saw!).

The last night I was there the two rail cars were dominating until a guy with a late 60s Corvette drove into the park (bet he had a trailer nearby!). He ran low to mid 9 seconds and hit 158 mph at the end on one run. It was an impressive car . . . not sure what he had under the hood or if it was really street legal or not!

Pretty good time for the vette.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He dominated that night!

I could be mis-remembering the ET on his runs, but I distinctly remember the 158 trap speed. Mid 9 seconds is really, really fast isn't it?

Mid 9's is hauling the mail.
    My Camaro was tuned to mid 9's to stay legal with the safety equipment it had and that was a wee bit too fast.
    It was 9 flat capable with the right tune.

We saw 136 to 140 trap speeds.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Mid 9's is hauling the mail.
    My Camaro was tuned to mid 9's to stay legal with the safety equipment it had and that was a wee bit too fast.
    It was 9 flat capable with the right tune.

We saw 136 to 140 trap speeds.

Ah, so my dim memory is at least realistic, even if I am wrong! HAHA!

A 427 with a blower, two huge 4 barrel carbs, and some other gear could make it happen. I think my Silverado needs that!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ah, so my dim memory is at least realistic, even if I am wrong! HAHA!

A 427 with a blower, two huge 4 barrel carbs, and some other gear could make it happen. I think my Silverado needs that!

If I tuned for kill and not "Stun" we would see higher trap speeds but we seldom ran like that at sanctioned tracks. Outlaw tracks could care less long as you paid the fees.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I tuned for kill and not "Stun" we would see higher trap speeds but we seldom ran like that at sanctioned tracks. Outlaw tracks could care less long as you paid the fees.

Do they still have grudge night at Clermont? If so, we should all go sometime to watch (and/or race).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Do they still have grudge night at Clermont? If so, we should all go sometime to watch (and/or race).

Yes they do. Wed. nights and some Friday nights.
    I go on occasion but not yet this year.
    The siren song of a big block chevy at full song through open headers is a powerful drug.........:)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The siren song of a big block chevy at full song through open headers is a powerful drug.........:)

Okay...

When I resolve some of my current obligations and have some time, let's schedule an outing for some drag racing and then cheeseburgers and/or tenderloins. Maybe Union Jack.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Okay...

When I resolve some of my current obligations and have some time, let's schedule an outing for some drag racing and then cheeseburgers and/or tenderloins. Maybe Union Jack.

Sounds like fun. The track announcer is a lifelong buddy and I always know someone out there.

Let me check on the nights they will be running.....:)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Last time I ran at Raceway Park the track prep was pathetic barely any better than no prep. Soumds like it would be a fun night at the track. Too bad my motor is wounded and I am done until spring

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Kinda sounds like Churchmouse is someone I could get along with. And yes open headers with a big block running at full boogie is quite the powerful drug....and I sir am an addict

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sound of a Pontiac ain't bad either ;). Listened to that all day long today. 6 hours of my own engine on the highway and all day listening and watching others run down Summit Motorsports Park. Just rolled in the driveway, I'll post pix.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Good morning Ohio!

70 Lemans Sport white with red interior and redlines. I like.

62 Tempest.

63 Tempest.

How bout some cool names?

This guy towed his 74 GTO drag car on this....

The original "funny" cars.

Passed by a sign for a covered bridge on the way this morning, made a mental note to find it on the way back. Cool.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom