Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm a bit partial to cars with a Blue Oval but I can certainly appreciate quality craftsmanship and the hard work that goes with it. Looks like it was a good time

Bow tie born and bred here.
    Been beat and trailered by a few fast fords.
    A Pontiac or 2 as well. They were usually Chevy powered though.....:)
    Raceway was my home track since it was built. My uncle ran his Fuel Harley's out there when it was still flag starts. I was pretty lucky in that respect.
    I raced my bikes there when I was 15. Rules were a lot different as to safety etc.
    Sold the last of the race cars a few months back.
    Now I just watch on occasion.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Butler Performance was testing out an all new cast aluminum Pontiac block in the "Boss Bird" today. The only Pontiac powered funny car in the world. I saw speeds up to 230mph today. Fast Pontiac powered Pontiacs and no scoop shovels or oil dry was needed :):.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Butler Performance was testing out an all new cast aluminum Pontiac block in the "Boss Bird" today. The only Pontiac powered funny car in the world. I saw speeds up to 230mph today. Fast Pontiac powered Pontiacs and no scoop shovels or oil dry was needed :):.

What class is the Boss bird.

Big Chief heads were the standard and may still be in Pro Stock.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Rusty. I am officially jealous right now sounds like there were some nice cars there yesterday...yeah I need to get out to a track and just watch and walk around checking out the cars.

Churchmouse I grew up with dad racing latemodel stock cars. He started back in the early 70s but gave it up for several years to be there for my brother and I. But by the time I graduated high school he was plotting where he wanted to jump into drag racing. So we built our first drag car and started running heads up outlaw races. Of course most of our family are addicted and now my brothers boys and my daughter all want to race. Don't know what head are the norm for pro stock now but I know lots of guys who put up a fight with big chief headed motors.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rusty. I am officially jealous right now sounds like there were some nice cars there yesterday...yeah I need to get out to a track and just watch and walk around checking out the cars.

Churchmouse I grew up with dad racing latemodel stock cars. He started back in the early 70s but gave it up for several years to be there for my brother and I. But by the time I graduated high school he was plotting where he wanted to jump into drag racing. So we built our first drag car and started running heads up outlaw races. Of course most of our family are addicted and now my brothers boys and my daughter all want to race. Don't know what head are the norm for pro stock now but I know lots of guys who put up a fight with big chief headed motors.

The Uncle I mentioned was a Drag racer/hill climber in the mid 50's to the mid 60's. He was the man of steel. Purpose built Harley sportsters that were stroked to enormouse CI's for the times. Ran them on Nitro. At the track they started them on a set of rollers driven by the rear wheel of someones car or truck. Insanity at it's absolute best. Seldom a time when at least 1 person crashed coming off the roller's. That all stopped inn the late 50's or so.
    2 uncles that were car nuts coupled with growing up just east of the back gates of the 500.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree Churchmouse back when the body was actually shaped like the car it was supposed to be. Some even still had some body panels that started out as OE parts. Funny cars todayreally don't resemble much of anything but a wedge with wheels and a wing. That's one reason I like pro mod. But that nostalgia stuff is just cool

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For me, unless it's shaking my insides and blowing my ears out, I'd rather just watch the pure stock muscle cars or slightly modded stock stick cars run. Just plain fun to watch the noses drop while shifting and when they run on a stock tire it gets even more exciting.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom