• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I was astonished at what 60+ hours of buffing and polishing can do...
    I am looking forward to that. It is quite amazing what can be done with old paint. Sometimes though, depending on the finish, especially if clear coat, it can be lots easier and faster to just sand it down and re-clear it. I'm not sure what they did yet, but I will know here in the next hour or so.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am looking forward to that. It is quite amazing what can be done with old paint. Sometimes though, depending on the finish, especially if clear coat, it can be lots easier and faster to just sand it down and re-clear it. I'm not sure what they did yet, but I will know here in the next hour or so.

When we used to paint it was Lacquer or enamel. Lots and lots of color sanding and then it was on to the wheel.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I haven't done very much paint work but what I have done has all been with PPG urethane. Never done anything with the intent of being show quality just racecar stuff. It has good shine to it but it does tend to have some orange peel in it.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I haven't done very much paint work but what I have done has all been with PPG urethane. Never done anything with the intent of being show quality just racecar stuff. It has good shine to it but it does tend to have some orange peel in it.
    PPG makes the best products out there. Orange peel is kind of a funny deal. In some cases, you cannot avoid it. We use to get really frustrated in the shop because of the time spent trying to get rid of the orange peel. No one was ever smart enough to ask why it was doing it, so I did. I caught our PPG rep one day and asked the the puck was going on. He said that the clear we were using was deisgned to orange peel to replicate the factory finish. I was dumbfounded. We've since changed clear coats on the show car stuff.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    PPG makes the best products out there. Orange peel is kind of a funny deal. In some cases, you cannot avoid it. We use to get really frustrated in the shop because of the time spent trying to get rid of the orange peel. No one was ever smart enough to ask why it was doing it, so I did. I caught our PPG rep one day and asked the the puck was going on. He said that the clear we were using was deisgned to orange peel to replicate the factory finish. I was dumbfounded. We've since changed clear coats on the show car stuff.

If you are not joking you need to read this

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS - PPG - Paints, Coatings and Materials

Might try these also

https://ppgrefinish-na.uberflip.com/i/462316-ppg-custom-restoration-guide/60

PPG Certification Programs

PPG enhances automotive refinish training faciliti - PPG - Paints, Coatings and Materials

You really need to get training / certification on the products you use, and follow EPA/ OSHA regulations.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    PPG makes the best products out there. Orange peel is kind of a funny deal. In some cases, you cannot avoid it. We use to get really frustrated in the shop because of the time spent trying to get rid of the orange peel. No one was ever smart enough to ask why it was doing it, so I did. I caught our PPG rep one day and asked the the puck was going on. He said that the clear we were using was deisgned to orange peel to replicate the factory finish. I was dumbfounded. We've since changed clear coats on the show car stuff.[/QUOTE

Most of my painting has been done by necessity, not being able to pay someone else to do it. I have several contacts in the body shop biz that have given advice and who I buy supplies through. However I was there when a ppg rep was in the shop and was also told it is inevitable therw will be some orange peel in the paint especially in industrial urathane. The urathane I have used is the same type used on heavy equipment such as dump trucks, garbage trucks etc. So some is expected and I can llive with it because it has a factory appearance

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When we put the color on my 1964 Chevell I was pulling the hose for the guy laying it out as I wanted to see what he did.
    The time we spent just prepping the body was extensive. If the base is not there it will show through the new staged systems. Enamel/Lacquer was able to fill and level inconsistency much better than the new stuff.

Even with all the prep and a killer booth we still had some color sanding to do. The end result was amazing. I never realized that white could be so cool. It was not my 1st choice of color but my guy bent me over on it. After the car was done and rolled out into the sun I was floored. Amazing.

Is white actually a color....:):

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    As with anything, it's all about the prep work. Sometimes I feel that I spend too much time in pre-paint prep, but it all shows after the clear goes on.

I love white cars. To me they just mean business.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As with anything, it's all about the prep work. Sometimes I feel that I spend too much time in pre-paint prep, but it all shows after the clear goes on.

I love white cars. To me they just mean business.

One of my early experiences with the staged systems was the 85 Monti S/S I restored for my sons 16th "B" day.
    We chose a Cadillac color that I will call Dark Cherry Metallic. The prep on the car was meticulous. Many coats of sanded primer.
    I did not get to the booth in time to see the color go on the car. When I got there the guys were all giggly and excited as to how the base went on.
    When I looked in the booth all I saw was a car that looked like a scotch bright pad. They really enjoyed my reaction.
    When the clear went on it again, I was floored.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    One of my early experiences with the staged systems was the 85 Monti S/S I restored for my sons 16th "B" day.
    We chose a Cadillac color that I will call Dark Cherry Metallic. The prep on the car was meticulous. Many coats of sanded primer.
    I did not get to the booth in time to see the color go on the car. When I got there the guys were all giggly and excited as to how the base went on.
    When I looked in the booth all I saw was a car that looked like a scotch bright pad. They really enjoyed my reaction.
    When the clear went on it again, I was floored.
    :): I love it when people have no idea that the base flashes dry. Makes for some funny faces.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I watched that roadkill garage on motortrend ondemand last night. That roadrunner turned out sweet! That is the kind of stuff I enjoy doing most, bringing back something as dead as that paint was. Id really rather not completely restore them if they don't need it. I'm a huge fan of the "battle scars" they show over time. I did laugh when Steve squirted that entire door with compound then attacked it with the rotary... I try to avoid messes like that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :): I love it when people have no idea that the base flashes dry. Makes for some funny faces.

I also learned that the multi-facet base finish catches light from different angles and makes the paint look amazing. Thats what I was told anyway. Looked amazing when they laid the clear on it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom