Not open for further replies.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had a '62 SS with the engine turned trim. After a rough life and a thrown rod, my brother sold it to a junkyard for $300. To have that back now...:)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The 62's are my favorites of the 61-64.

Same here. I think folks who are interested in older cars have a favorite within a span of years. Like people having a preference for one of the 55-57 Chevy's. Though I admit I vacillate between the '55 and '57. The '56 is not even on my radar for some reason. I think if I had to choose between two equally built cars, one being a '55 and the other a '57, I'd take the '55.

Same with Corvettes. In the 63-67 generation, I'd pick the '67 for sure. But I still like the other years. Just not as much.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I like 58 impalas, but not the bel airs or del rays, 59 bel airs/biscayne are sweet but don't care for the impala, 61 bubble tops and biscaynes are sweet, same for 62, 65 all models, and sometimes I like 67-70s depending how they are built.

I like my tri 5 chebbies in 55 and 56, 55s are meant to be hot rodded. 56s are meant to be pretty and low. Don't care much for 57s, even though there is one sitting in the garage...

I like corvettes in a 63 coupe and a small block with a 4 speed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like 58 impalas, but not the bel airs or del rays, 59 bel airs/biscayne are sweet but don't care for the impala, 61 bubble tops and biscaynes are sweet, same for 62, 65 all models, and sometimes I like 67-70s depending how they are built.

I like my tri 5 chebbies in 55 and 56, 55s are meant to be hot rodded. 56s are meant to be pretty and low. Don't care much for 57s, even though there is one sitting in the garage...

A 57 nose down tail up maybe 2's post car is just hard to beat. They can be a bit busy with all the BelAir trim but a simple 210 post car 3 peddles and a smoking hot small block is again, just to hard to pass on.

A 55 in gasser trim makes me shudder.
    We ran the Good Guys events every chance we got. Our favorite racing.
    Buddy had a 55 gasser with a fuelie small block stick car. I let him make a pass in my Camaro and he let me drive the 55. :drool:
    A completely on the edge pass. Right on the edge.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I had a 61 bubble top.
    It was sacrificed to pay the bills in harder times..............:(

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The 383 stroker was delivered yesterday.

The advertised data for the motor was 450 ft lbs of tq and 430 HP.

The dyno sheet shows the Tq was pretty close to being 450 but the HP was under rated at 430.

The Tech I spoke with said they Dyno with a Black Label intake version of the Performer RPM. Not sure what Carb they use.
    I told him I was going to use an Air Gap intake with a Holley Ultra 750. He said the dyno numbers would go up some with my configuration.

It should pull pretty hard from 3,000-5,400.

I still need to gather up a few things before we get it put in the old truck.
    I need:
    Water pump
    Carb
    Distributor
    Alum Radiator
    Elec fan with temp sensing module
    Manual fuel pump
    Fuel log
    Ceramic coated headers

I'm sure there will be a few other things I'm overlooking but thats pretty close to the remaining list.

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The 383 stroker was delivered yesterday.

The advertised data for the motor was 450 ft lbs of tq and 430 HP.

The dyno sheet shows the Tq was pretty close to being 450 but the HP was under rated at 430.

The Tech I spoke with said they Dyno with a Black Label intake version of the Performer RPM. Not sure what Carb they use.
    I told him I was going to use an Air Gap intake with a Holley Ultra 750. He said the dyno numbers would go up some with my configuration.

It should pull pretty hard from 3,000-5,400.

I still need to gather up a few things before we get it put in the old truck.
    I need:
    Water pump
    Carb
    Distributor
    Alum Radiator
    Elec fan with temp sensing module
    Manual fuel pump
    Fuel log
    Ceramic coated headers

I'm sure there will be a few other things I'm overlooking but thats pretty close to the remaining list.

View attachment 51764 View attachment 51765

That engine should pull well past 5400. Should hold the nose up 5800 plus with the cam.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    That engine should pull well past 5400. Should hold the nose up 5800 plus with the cam.

It is balanced / Blueprinted so 6,000 shouldn't be a problem, but I live by the rule.

Build em big
    Turn em low
    Run em long

Especially in bracket racing since you are basically racing against your reaction time.

My main goal with the truck is to have a nice safe reliable cruiser to take anywhere but still have some fun if I want to do a little bracket racing on rare occasions. The fresh rebuilt rear has new posi unit and 3:42 gears

My next concern is the 350 Transmission that my brother in law build about 14 years ago.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is balanced / Blueprinted so 6,000 shouldn't be a problem, but I live by the rule.

Build em big
    Turn em low
    Run em long

Especially in bracket racing since you are basically racing against your reaction time.

My main goal with the truck is to have a nice safe reliable cruiser to take anywhere but still have some fun if I want to do a little bracket racing on rare occasions. The fresh rebuilt rear has new posi unit and 3:42 gears

My next concern is the 350 Transmission that my brother in law build about 14 years ago.

I have a "Fresh" 10 year old T-350 for my 64. I will pull it down this winter but I hate automatics. Just such a mess.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Build em big
    Turn em low
    Run em long

Just thinking outloud here, so humor me. At the same throttle position, isn't there more stress on an engine at lower rpm? Say you're3/4 throttle at 4,000 verses 3/4 throttle at 6,000. You're spending more "time" at peak cylinder pressure at the lower rpm. We all know torque is power and horsepower is an equation from torque. So wouldn't peak torque be peak stress?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just thinking outloud here, so humor me. At the same throttle position, isn't there more stress on an engine at lower rpm? Say you're3/4 throttle at 4,000 verses 3/4 throttle at 6,000. You're spending more "time" at peak cylinder pressure at the lower rpm. We all know torque is power and horsepower is an equation from torque. So wouldn't peak torque be peak stress?

When you "Wing" an engine the stresses at play change. Harmonics come into play. It is hard to type it all out but from my time standing at a Dyno with those folks that have years invested in making engines live at full song it is wise to keep it in the power band. The reciprocating assembly is "Loaded" and doing as designed.

Myself, I love to run-em hard. Right to the edge of everything they have. Kind of a personal pleasure thing with me.
    A screaming small block at full song is music.
    When we bracket raced I did turn them down to run long as the glue man says. Certain events warranted turning them up.....all the way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom