• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wouldn't say it hurts. Just the nature of the beast, they can be frustrating.

After making some changes to the car for this year, finally made it out for my first bracket race (always been a heads up car) on Saturday.
    First time run wasn't bad, in fact it was encouraging. 2nd time run, for no apparent reason it tossed the oil pump belt at full song but was shut off before anything disastrous happened. Put the belt back on and adjusted the tension and had 85 psi oil pressure so not too concerned as engines are fairly resilient. Started it up to roll in the water box for eliminations and thought wow seems to be idling kinda high, everything seems ok so lets go. Launched it and ran it out but it felt kinda lazy the whole run. Get the time slip and wtf is going on here. How the heck did we lose 4 tenths and 12 mph since the first pass?
    Loading the car up it just doesn't sound right it doesn't sound as crisp as normal.
    We get digging this evening and find spark plugs in 2 cylinders (1 on each side) wet. Yank the valve covers to have a look and find intake push rods and rockers damaged and both valve stems beat up. One valve tip is broke off basically flush with the keepers.
    Will call the engine shop tomorrow and see about parts availability, turn around time, cost etc.

There's a meme for it but it's just part of the 4 stages of owning a race car.
    1- hell yeah it runs
    2- sure I'll race
    3- what's that noise
    4- darn thing is always breaking
    Been there amigo.

I will say it must be a beast if it dropped 2 cylinders and only fell off 4/10ths.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Been there amigo.

I will say it must be a beast if it dropped 2 cylinders and only fell off 4/10ths.
    Keep in mind this is with no spray and the very first time out with the new converter. So, still need to make some adjustments but was encouraging.
    First pass was a 5.301 at 132.46mph and I was a tad tardy on hitting the shift. The shift light came on faster than I anticipated so it tickled the rev limiter. And yes I manually shift it, that makes a driver of ya
    60'- 1.210
    330'- 3.436
    1/8- 5.301
    MPH- 132.46

2nd pass when I had to shut it off due to oil pump belt was like a 5.43 @ 123 mph.
    3rd pass when things started coming undone dropped to 5.77 at like 121 mph.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I wouldn't say it hurts. Just the nature of the beast, they can be frustrating.

After making some changes to the car for this year, finally made it out for my first bracket race (always been a heads up car) on Saturday.
    First time run wasn't bad, in fact it was encouraging. 2nd time run, for no apparent reason it tossed the oil pump belt at full song but was shut off before anything disastrous happened. Put the belt back on and adjusted the tension and had 85 psi oil pressure so not too concerned as engines are fairly resilient. Started it up to roll in the water box for eliminations and thought wow seems to be idling kinda high, everything seems ok so lets go. Launched it and ran it out but it felt kinda lazy the whole run. Get the time slip and wtf is going on here. How the heck did we lose 4 tenths and 12 mph since the first pass?
    Loading the car up it just doesn't sound right it doesn't sound as crisp as normal.
    We get digging this evening and find spark plugs in 2 cylinders (1 on each side) wet. Yank the valve covers to have a look and find intake push rods and rockers damaged and both valve stems beat up. One valve tip is broke off basically flush with the keepers.
    Will call the engine shop tomorrow and see about parts availability, turn around time, cost etc.

There's a meme for it but it's just part of the 4 stages of owning a race car.
    1- hell yeah it runs
    2- sure I'll race
    3- what's that noise
    4- darn thing is always breaking
    I always ran into "no matter what I do differently I can't go any faster". Different tires, suspension set up, more cubic inches, different driving techniques. . . . . . . nothing seemed to get me any closer to beating the local hot shoe. Looking back I always had lousy brakes. Oh they'd slow you down and stop you but I developed the theory that at least in autocrossing braking and acceleration are huge factors in going fast. I could accelerate very fast but the brakes were never right.

I think I've got that right on the new car.

If I ever get the damned thing back together.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    The tread surface looks like the M/T pro radial.
    Just something to keep in mind, the taller tire will change static ride height and may change how the car leaves and rides
    Yeah they are pretty worn out but should have a few good passes left in them for my power level. The guy I bought them from had a 1.3s 60' right before he removed them. I plan to make a few passes with them before I spray it.

Top Bottom