• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Loaded language not expressing the reality. Paint yourself into the corner where everyone hates everyone and nobody is right enough. Won't solve the problem. Won't improve the country. Is counterproductive at best. Unions were useful and possibly necessary when the railroads safety practices were killing 4 or 5 people a day.. Now they're just an exercise of power and greed and the leadership is at least as corrupt as Hunter Biden.

We're all crabs in a bucket when the unions take over. Nobody allowed to do anything outside the rules of the union. Nobody allowed to go out on their own and really make things better. Oh no! That would affect the communist rank and file who won't work that hard and excel. Who just want a protected job with a guaranteed wage that they don't have to really perform to achieve. Show up, do the minimum, maybe have somebody else clock you in and out when you don't feel like showing up. Funk that.
    You certainly have a convoluted though of most Union Workers.

Not many non union companies have pensions for the hourly workers any longer. Ever ask yourself why that is?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Happy that you got yours. Could it be that it was at the expense of others? And you'll need to explain that 112% growth rate in terms we can all understand. 112% ? Methinks someone's forecast might be too rosy to prove. Only thing I've seen grow at that rate lately is Nancy Pelosi's insider trading and possibly AI stocks.
    Expense to whom?

Explained, money invested in our retirement accounts. It's not what interest it's making, it what our entire assets are growing at each year with money being put in my those still working and money going out with those that earned retirement and disability monthly checks.

In essence our money is in excellent shape for now and the future for those just starting in the trade.

All of this is public information that's available on the internet.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    So you’d rather see some haitians run the docks for minimum wage so you can get your cheap Chinese crap? Got it!
    I'd rather see the people who comprise the union make reasonable demands. 77% increase over what, 7 years? Plus no automation. And they already make upwards of 250K! Very presumptuous of you to state I buy Chinese crap. You don't know squat about me!
    The crazy demands of the liberal/ democratic unions have caused more harm than good. Lost more jobs that have been gained genius.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I thought i saw a post somewhere making $250,000.

That's a big difference from 39$/hr.
    $39/ hour base pay. Does not include incentives, OT or holiday pay. Base pay at $82k, add in OT for 20 hours (5-12’s) and work 5 holidays for double time and a half and you’re pushing 200k

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    $39/ hour base pay. Does not include incentives, OT or holiday pay. Base pay at $82k, add in OT for 20 hours (5-12’s) and work 5 holidays for double time and a half and you’re pushing 200k
    I don't count OT in my base pay. I am pretty sure not everyone wants to put their body through that much stress either.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Read my lips... F the unions!

Here's a brief update from an industry source...

Today is day 1 of the USEC strike and day 290 of the Red Sea diversions

The strike on USEC has begun and Houthi attacks have resumed.

Yesterday USMX put forward a proposal for a 50% wage increase, triple employer contributions to employee retirement plans, a strengthened health care option, and to retain the language around automation and semi-automation which was already in the current contract.

This proposal was not sufficient for ILA and the ports have been closed since midnight with picket lines being set up.

In the new updated on the Facebook site, ILA writes: “The USMX last offer fell far short of what ILA rank-and-file members are demanding in wages and protections against automation.”

The last strike in 1977 lasted more than 6 weeks, and hence the question now is how long this one will last. One issue is whether President Biden at some point will invoke Taft-Hartley and stop the strike. The problem is that this could negatively impact the democrats in the presidential campaign.

On their X account, the Teamsters union wrote:” The U.S. government should stay the f**k out of this fight [...] Corporations for too long have been able to rely on political puppets to help them strip working people of their inherent leverage.” And they also added: “Don’t forget—Teamsters do not cross picket lines”

The impact of the strike is clearly subject to some uncertainty. Estimates made from different analysts, including myself, over the past few weeks range between 1½-5 Billion USD per day in cost to the US economy.

It should be noted that the port workers in Montreal began a 3-day strike yesterday as well.

Maersk advises:” Should there be a labor stoppage, please hold all empty containers until the labor disruption has ceased. At this time, we do not have alternative empty depots planned.”

A quick look at Vesselfinder shows that container vessels are now anchoring up outside the USEC and USGC ports, but it appears none have been “trapped” in port.

In the Red Sea there have been 2 new Houthi attacks following 4 quiet weeks with no attacks on merchant vessels. One vessel is reported to have sustained damage from a missile. Another vessel reported 4 splashes close to the vessel, and was then hit by a droneboat which blew a hole in a ballast tank.

The Houthies claim to have shot down another US drone over Yemen, which would be the 10th drone that they claim during the conflict.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Can I ask what you do/did for a living?
    We've been over this. Nothing where a union would help. I'm in the private sector. I get more then my fair share of my teams annual merit increase pool (sorry for those that get less while I get more).

It's not the 1900s with **** poor working conditions. IMO it'll be fun to see unions overstep their bounds and lose the publics support...

Top Bottom