• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Funny. It's amazing how hypocritical some people are. Black History Month highlights the achievements of black Ameicans. And to black America, it is a very valuable chance to inform black Americans of the contributions blacks have had to society.

I had this conversation with my ex-wife multiple times while we were married.

So what? If I'm a redhead, do I need to know about other redheads who became doctors in order to feel like I can become a doctor? If I have blue eyes, do I need a "blue eye history month" to learn about all the wonderful contributions of blue eyed people so that I can reach for the stars? OR does that just set me apart from other humans? If you are truly integrated into a society, every person's achievements are equal. My ex-wife overcame poverty and an abusive father and graduated with honors from Rutgers University. Since she's black, is her story of overcoming adversity and prospering only applicable to black youths? Is there some inherent quality that would stop a white child in a similar situation from being inspired by a black woman or vice versa? Human triumph is human triumph.

She did not agree. You won't either. I'm fine with that, but if you want to understand where "the other side" is coming from, that's it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I had this conversation with my ex-wife multiple times while we were married.

So what? If I'm a redhead, do I need to know about other redheads who became doctors in order to feel like I can become a doctor? If I have blue eyes, do I need a "blue eye history month" to learn about all the wonderful contributions of blue eyed people so that I can reach for the stars? OR does that just set me apart from other humans? If you are truly integrated into a society, every person's achievements are equal. My ex-wife overcame poverty and an abusive father and graduated with honors from Rutgers University. Since she's black, is her story of overcoming adversity and prospering only applicable to black youths? Is there some inherent quality that would stop a white child in a similar situation from being inspired by a black woman or vice versa? Human triumph is human triumph.

She did not agree. You won't either. I'm fine with that, but if you want to understand where "the other side" is coming from, that's it.

Do you think we're an integrated society? We are becoming more integrated, yes, but I'm sure I don't need to remind you that less than a half century ago, the minority wasn't afforded the the same privileges of the majority. It's not something that can be remedied in a generation.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And why not?

Because people, on both sides, have long memories. How do you tell a person who endured years of segregation to simply drop it? How do you tell a guy (my father's friend) whose sister was killed in a bombing in Birmingham to forgive and forget?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When is long enough to tell someone to drop it?

You don't, people heal at the own pace. Who am I to tell someone to get over a wrongdoing they personally endured? And in many cases it will follow them to death.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I would say that it will always be appropriate to remember and celebrate your community's achievements.

Along with that should come the recognition that we should evaluate people one at a time. Not all black people are "this", not all white people are "that".

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You don't, people heal at the own pace. Who am I to tell someone to get over a wrongdoing they personally endured? And in many cases it will follow them to death.

And that's where we disagree. At some point, people will have to stand up and point out that it's the PAST.

I have no problem with people grieving over personal experiences, but to constantly complain about racism when they have no personal experience is absurd.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I would say that it will always be appropriate to remember and celebrate your community's achievements.

Along with that should come the recognition that we should evaluate people one at a time. Not all black people are "this", not all white people are "that".

The longer we keep identifying and grouping together based on skin color, the longer we'll stay apart and not together as one nation.

Top Bottom