• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, but school can wait a couple of days. She is actually not going to miss any classes if we get there a day, two or even 3 days late. Its a sorority thing that she will miss. And I can understand her being upset about missing it, but its pretty much out of my hands at this point. She has more luggage than she can take on an airplane, so that option is out too. We literally came home with a FULL CAR of stuff, she has even more to take back down there.

I'd rather wait for the roads to open up and get there ALIVE than to fight nature and die, just to get to a sorority party.

Dad of the Year! :rockwoot:

She may or may not ever thank you for it but it's the right thing to do.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Yeah, but school can wait a couple of days. She is actually not going to miss any classes if we get there a day, two or even 3 days late. Its a sorority thing that she will miss. And I can understand her being upset about missing it, but its pretty much out of my hands at this point. She has more luggage than she can take on an airplane, so that option is out too. We literally came home with a FULL CAR of stuff, she has even more to take back down there.
    Sounds like you are going to need a Uhaul and a bus load of Sherpas to help you pack and unpack the truck at the end of the school year......

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I65 is now open. I will probably hit the road within the next hour. Wish me luck.

... or maybe not. Wife is too scared to make the trip now because of all the dire warnings of treacherous road conditions and "travel at your own risk" warnings. Might have to fly solo.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Morning peeps.

Larry, nice to see you got out of your prison. When does parole end?

On my way out last night, I told a boss I was Reporting Off for today. He put his fingers in his ears, said he didn't hear me, and said I had to call the "other" boss.
    So, I'll be calling off in a little bit. Today would have been my "Friday".

... or maybe not. Wife is too scared to make the trip now because of all the dire warnings of treacherous road conditions and "travel at your own risk" warnings. Might have to fly solo.

My offer still stands WD. I have AWD. And I have no problem with driving slow and letting others spin off the road.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    no broken shear bolts, nothing broken anywhere that I can tell on the blower. Have yet to start it again, but its going back eventually.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Well ... I was going to head down to Indy but thought better of it once I started my journey to Actaeon's. I realized that our safety would not depend on what we did or how we drove but would depend instead on what the idiots in the other cars would be doing. Changed my mind and went home.

Throughout the little foray, I was tailgated by more than a few vehicles (including a few 4x4's) while driving on a sheet of ice. Like I told Actaeon, I was vindicated in my decision on the way home when one of those big bad 4x4's that blew by me on Rt41 slid into a giant snow drift in front of me. We were now on a two lane road and he was way ahead of me by the time he came over a rise in the road. Apparently there was a car turning in front of him and he had to slam on the brakes to avoid rear-ending him. It wasn't going to happen on the downward slope of an ice covered portion of the road. Pow! Head first into a drift/pile almost as tall as his truck. His rear wheels were still on the ice covered road with the front ones buried in the drift. All four tires were still spinning like mad when I inched past him as he tried to get out. Tons of "steam" from the hot engine sitting in the snow pile.

Some people forget that as soon as their foot comes off the accelerator and they go for their brakes, they are no better than the mere mortal 2WD vehicles around them. 4WD does not cancel the laws of physics.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    For the mechanics out there

BTW, now I have a new problem ... maybe. When I returned home, there was a small little glop of what appears to be motor oil on the driveway where the car had been parked. I say "glop" because it was mixed in with snow by the time I noticed it. I would estimate 6-8 oz. of fluid. I have been turning on the car every couple hours and letting it run for ten minutes at a time for the past few days. At these temps, it makes a god-awful grinding noise for the first few seconds when it first fires up. It sounds likes it's grinding something up and then it settles down to normal. The car seemed to run fine during my little excursion.

Based on where it was parked, it looks like it might have dropped from the area of the oil filter. Question ... could the motor oil in the filter be congealed enough to hinder flow? Once the engine is fired up, could this cause it to escape (under pressure) past the gasket of the filter? I will probably move the car later on and see if I can take a peek under the hood or underneath.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Yay! My 686 made it to Kankakee. It came FedEx from Connecticut to Memphis and was stuck for two days. Won't be long now.

I sense you are full of squee.

It has been a while but I know the feeling as you track a firearm or firearm related purchase across the country. You wait for the big brown truck or the call from the FFL telling you to come pick it up ....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    no broken shear bolts, nothing broken anywhere that I can tell on the blower. Have yet to start it again, but its going back eventually.

Also, you have cables from the handles to the transmission. The cables might have stretched, meaning the transmission will not fully engage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom