• Status
    Not open for further replies.

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    What a way to start a Sunday. My 70 lb. American Staff. goes out the back door, makes a beeline to a shrub and comes out with a fighting raccoon in his jaws. After about a 1 minute fight, the raccoon managed to get up the fence, badly injured. Blood everywhere - all over the neighbors house and fence. Dozer ended up with some cuts, scratches and a couple of bites, but not too bad really. The coon is lucky that my other dog wasn't out also. She is a 55 lb Bull Terrier that is a natural born pest killer. Could have been worse I guess.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Good Price on AMMO. This week only....

I have a friend in NWI that is looking to scratch up some Christmas cash and is parting with some significant stock. (well, its damn significant to me!)
    This is available THIS WEEK only CASH... If you are interested PM me on INGO... First come (cash in hand) First served.

1. 7.62 x 51 (.308) 2 cases (1000 rds) Portuguese Military Surplus sealed containers Brass $500 each

2. 7.62 x 51 (.308) 5-200 Rd Battle Packs FN (1000 Rnds) Brass $ 500

3. 7.62 x 39 Russian Combat Sealed Containers (2640 Rounds) Steel Case Hollow Point $ 750 (28.4)

This is not "on the general INGO market" as he was making me a special for NWI friends of mine, and doesnt want to ship or sell it to someone out of the area... so there it is.

Fill your Christmas stocking with a little lead, for next year's shooting season!!!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Didn't know it cost that much.

The 'start up' costs are the killer costs. And the teams bear the bulk of the costs except for a uniform.

Individual equipment is actually pretty reasonable. You can outfit your kid in a basic uniform for about $75 to $95 and you can use any pair of tennis or running shoes. Compare that to golf where you have to buy your kid clubs and those cost from $400 on up and decent golf shoes are $100+. Or tennis where rackets average about $100+ and a typical tennis player has 3 or 4 of them plus a pair of expensive tennis shoes lasts about 1/2 of a season.

In fencing a small minority of the kids will eventually buy their own mask, cords and blades. And as with any sport, 'basic' stuff can be had fairly inexpensively, 'better' stuff is double the cost, and 'competition grade' stuff costs 5 times the price. Joining a private fencing club costs $10 per month here in N.W. Indiana but going to play a round of golf at a country club costs $25 to $75 per round.

So overall, its not really a very expensive sport for anyone to get into.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    The 'start up' costs are the killer costs. And the teams bear the bulk of the costs except for a uniform.

Individual equipment is actually pretty reasonable. You can outfit your kid in a basic uniform for about $75 to $95 and you can use any pair of tennis or running shoes. Compare that to golf where you have to buy your kid clubs and those cost from $400 on up and decent golf shoes are $100+. Or tennis where rackets average about $100+ and a typical tennis player has 3 or 4 of them plus a pair of expensive tennis shoes lasts about 1/2 of a season.

In fencing a small minority of the kids will eventually buy their own mask, cords and blades. And as with any sport, 'basic' stuff can be had fairly inexpensively, 'better' stuff is double the cost, and 'competition grade' stuff costs 5 times the price. Joining a private fencing club costs $10 per month here in N.W. Indiana but going to play a round of golf at a country club costs $25 to $75 per round.

So overall, its not really a very expensive sport for anyone to get into.

A dinner is an easy fund raiser. Could you see about a chili or spaghetti dinner? Need to see about donations and a cheap hall to rent. Sure you could get a few hungry people here to help.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    :dunno:I had no idea Lowell had a fencing team! In fact had no idea any school had a fencing team!:dunno:
    There are very few Indiana high school teams. Lowell has the newest team and is a provisional member of the Great Lakes Fencing Conference. Culver Military Academy has a team. There are 2 high schools in the Lafayette area that have teams. Marian Catholic H.S. in Chicago Heights, IL and Homewood-Flossmoor H.S. in Homewood, IL are the closest other schools to Lowell with teams.

There is the Northwest Indiana Fencing Club in St John too, we sponsor some kids from high schools in the area who fence, but who's schools don't have fencing programs. NWI Club link ==> NW Indiana Fencing Club, St John, IN

I assist at Marian Catholic H.S. where I am the armorour and also help out their Saber coach. I am the Saber coach at Lowell H.S. and I am the armorour for the Northwest Indiana Fencing Club. I also fix some of the equipment for the Homewood-Floosmoor team and the Tinley Park Fencing Club. I take a break from shooting during the winter months to spend time with the high schools and their fencing programs.

A dinner is an easy fund raiser. Could you see about a chili or spaghetti dinner? Need to see about donations and a cheap hall to rent. Sure you could get a few hungry people here to help.
    I leave that stuff to my wife and to the other coach. They are both faculty members at Lowell. I'm just the creepy old guy who hangs out at the school beating children with metal rods for the fun of it.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Here's a question. I've posed this question to a buddy on fb, just waiting on a response. So I figured I'd actually contribute a, what I think, is an interesting question and see what you all think.

my nephew wants a handgun, he's 20 and will be 21 in March. He doesn't have cash up front to buy one used. So I told him save his money and after his birthday he could go to the store and buy one. He asked if gun shops do layaway. I said some do. Then I got me thinking, because his money burns a hole in his pocket. He's bad at saving. Since he's not 21 can he start a handgun on layaway and make a payment on his pay days, Then after he turns 21 he could make the final payment and receive the gun?

or is the process of starting a layaway considered the purchase point?

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Just my opinion, but if he wants one badly enough, he'll get good at saving.

Thats what hat I told him. But since he brought up layaway, I found it an interesting question. Can you layaway something before you're of legal age to buy something. Which is even more interesting because he could buy a used gun from a private seller, but not a new fun from a dealer.

he should be getting his LTCH soon, not sure how long it takes anymore but he finished the process about 6 weeks ago.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Christmas with the Grizwalds... 3 am, next door - half dozen + CP squads and the tactical unit using my front yard landscaping for a flanking position on the neighbors house. Sweet jesus... college age girl took a shot at her brother in the house after he showed up bangin on the door to take his kid that was stay with g-ma for the night. Put projectile in the wall with her xd 9mm... wtf... long dysfunctional back story that I won't go into.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Christmas with the Grizwalds... 3 am, next door - half dozen + CP squads and the tactical unit using my front yard landscaping for a flanking position on the neighbors house. Sweet jesus... college age girl took a shot at her brother in the house after he showed up bangin on the door to take his kid that was stay with g-ma for the night. Put projectile in the wall with her xd 9mm... wtf... long dysfunctional back story that I won't go into.
    . . . there goes the neighborhood.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GpBMKHYZLtE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGpBMKHYZLtE[/video]

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Here's a question. I've posed this question to a buddy on fb, just waiting on a response. So I figured I'd actually contribute a, what I think, is an interesting question and see what you all think.

my nephew wants a handgun, he's 20 and will be 21 in March. He doesn't have cash up front to buy one used. So I told him save his money and after his birthday he could go to the store and buy one. He asked if gun shops do layaway. I said some do. Then I got me thinking, because his money burns a hole in his pocket. He's bad at saving. Since he's not 21 can he start a handgun on layaway and make a payment on his pay days, Then after he turns 21 he could make the final payment and receive the gun?

or is the process of starting a layaway considered the purchase point?
    At Cabela's they do the 4473 when you pay off and pick up.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I'd go to that fundraiser. A meal, and I get to help kids stay off the street. Sounds good.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom