Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You'd think I didnt work for a billion dollar corp. I finally find 2 boards. 1st is physically broken. 2nd is in an open mylar bag, and it looks used. Plug it in. Doesnt work.

The boards are scavanged out of an old system. I dont think they make them anymore.
    Good thing the bosses DIDN'T listen to us about upgrades.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Let the sleeping bear have his nap till spring. Nothing PINK or LEGO. :thumbsup:

I've only ventured into the breakroom on this site in the last year or so, and participating on the NWI threads for the same.

Is this an annual hiatus? Strange person he is.

Either way, saving this thread from 2nd page while I finish reloading the last of my .45's. Stupid SPP .45 cases have finally accumulated in sufficient quantity to make it worthwhile to switch my priming arm over to SPP. Plus, I'm retooling for .38s since I have to have some of those loaded by tomorrow for family Christmas party/shooting.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Got 500rds of .45 and 350rds of .38 loaded for family Christmas party shooting tomorrow.

Hoping the temps drop tonight and the ground freezes so we can actually go out in the field to shoot without getting stuck...

Also, I'm down to my last pound of powder. I've only ever loaded with titegroup, but haven't seen it on the shelf in well over a year. I have one pound of Unique, but I've never loaded with it yet and not looking forward to redeveloping loads with a different powder. Dunno how it'll meter in my powder drop either.

Other than Cabelas, is there anywhere nearby that carries reloading supplies? I know there's that place out in Michigan City (Kemps?) but Michigan City is an easy hour plus drive.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Bass Pro has some reloading supplies.... Unique doesn't meter very well for me normally... I use it for shotgun more than anything else.

I normally use the Accurate powders which locally I normally have to go out to Kempf's for. I might be making a run out to Kempf's next week if he is open... PM me and I'll let you know if I'm going, that is if Highland is closer to you...

PS: Win231 is normally good for pistol depending on what you are reloading...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Had a marathon of a fencing day yesterday, 6 am to 8:30pm. We took the Lowell team to the Junior Varsity Championships in Winnetka and we fielded 3 squads at the tournament. Boys saber, boys foil and girls foil. We were unable to fill a girls saber team do to some last minute issues.

My saber squad came in 5th out of 9, which was a great finish. Both the boys and girls foil squads came in 7th out of 11 in their divisions. Again very solid results.

5th and 7th may not seem very good to most people but we have the newest team and all of our fencers are new to the sport. Every team that beat my saber squad is at least 10 years old, every team but ours has paid coaches, every team has a full varsity teams to help train the JV squads, most of the teams ahead of us also have year round club programs, etc etc etc! My most experienced saber fencers have no more than 6 months of experience, and most of them have about 3 months experience. We have no Varsity level kids to help raise our skill level in practice bouts bad we don't even have a budget to repair broken equipment so I cobble together cords and blades with scavenged parts and try to get as much time getting them to learn more advanced techniques while still stressing the basics.

Our Foil coach is similarly a volunteer and does her best with her squads, old equipment, and inexperienced fencers.

Honestly I'm thrilled with the results from the tournament.

Oh, and I'm an assistant for the Marian Catholic team and all three Lowell squads beat their respective Marian squads too!

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Had a marathon of a fencing day yesterday, 6 am to 8:30pm. We took the Lowell team to the Junior Varsity Championships in Winnetka and we fielded 3 squads at the tournament. Boys saber, boys foil and girls foil. We were unable to fill a girls saber team do to some last minute issues.

My saber squad came in 5th out of 9, which was a great finish. Both the boys and girls foil squads came in 7th out of 11 in their divisions. Again very solid results.

5th and 7th may not seem very good to most people but we have the newest team and all of our fencers are new to the sport. Every team that beat my saber squad is at least 10 years old, every team but ours has paid coaches, every team has a full varsity teams to help train the JV squads, most of the teams ahead of us also have year round club programs, etc etc etc! My most experienced saber fencers have no more than 6 months of experience, and most of them have about 3 months experience. We have no Varsity level kids to help raise our skill level in practice bouts bad we don't even have a budget to repair broken equipment so I cobble together cords and blades with scavenged parts and try to get as much time getting them to learn more advanced techniques while still stressing the basics.

Our Foil coach is similarly a volunteer and does her best with her squads, old equipment, and inexperienced fencers.

Honestly I'm thrilled with the results from the tournament.

Oh, and I'm an assistant for the Marian Catholic team and all three Lowell squads beat their respective Marian squads too!
    Doesn't the school allow fund raisers for equipment cost and repairs?

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    danmdevries
    Kemps in Michigan City almost always has Titegroup, but it is a drive. I have a spare pound if you are in a pinch with the holidays ans such. Let me know, I could drop it off at the clubhouse ( I need a few cigars anyway).

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Doesn't the school allow fund raisers for equipment cost and repairs?

Yes, but you need to schedule the fund raiser, and have it all approved. They did sell 'gummi bears' earlier this year and made a couple hundred dollars. There is another scheduled for January, that should raise about double so maybe $4-$500.

But as each mask costs about $75, and each Lame costs about $100, and as the weapons average about $60 (all prices for low level equipment) its pretty easy to spend a lot of money to get a team started. The kids have to pay for their own uniforms, but the team covers the costs of the scoring equipment ($1500 each set), body cords, Lame's, masks, and weapons. Plus we pay for the bus driver and we pay registration fees of $25 for each kid to fence in each event.

So we can eat through the money they raise really quickly. That leaves very little money left over for repairs and nothing for upgrades to higher quality gear (we use the lowest cost/quality gear I can find).

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Yes, but you need to schedule the fund raiser, and have it all approved. They did sell 'gummi bears' earlier this year and made a couple hundred dollars. There is another scheduled for January, that should raise about double so maybe $4-$500.

But as each mask costs about $75, and each Lame costs about $100, and as the weapons average about $60 (all prices for low level equipment) its pretty easy to spend a lot of money to get a team started. The kids have to pay for their own uniforms, but the team covers the costs of the scoring equipment ($1500 each set), body cords, Lame's, masks, and weapons. Plus we pay for the bus driver and we pay registration fees of $25 for each kid to fence in each event.

So we can eat through the money they raise really quickly. That leaves very little money left over for repairs and nothing for upgrades to higher quality gear (we use the lowest cost/quality gear I can find).

Didn't know it cost that much.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom