• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Jasper Polaski is a real good place, they have everything from pistol to 200 yrd rifle range, and a trap only. If that is too long of a drive there is one in Newton county Willow-Slough, they have rifle/shotgun, and handgun. I don't know if they have a trap only part if you are into that?

Why does everyone keep telling me about Willow-Slough? I called one of those contact numbers, he said I had to be a member, which is kinda stupid, cause in order to be a member, I have to know a member, who knows a member, who knows a member that will sponsor me.

Either way, outdoor is the only way I can go. My XD can go anywhere, but my Judge, only the .45LC not the .410 Ga and my new 870... Of course, those have to be outside.

I am willing to go anywhere they'll let me shoot all my weapons.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Why does everyone keep telling me about Willow-Slough? I called one of those contact numbers, he said I had to be a member, which is kinda stupid, cause in order to be a member, I have to know a member, who knows a member, who knows a member that will sponsor me.

Either way, outdoor is the only way I can go. My XD can go anywhere, but my Judge, only the .45LC not the .410 Ga and my new 870... Of course, those have to be outside.

I am willing to go anywhere they'll let me shoot all my weapons.

Well I only said Willow-Slough cause I see you are from Gary and that's probably easier to get to than JP. I've never been there though, just got my info from the DNR website.

I didn't even know Willow-Slough needed a membership, now I know before I get out there to be dissapointed thanks :D

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Yeah yeah yeah, rub it in... Funny, since Remington is ass backwards, I wonder if the left handed models they make are really for right handed people? Someone is dyslexic there...

Yea i really don't know why that is, I'm sure they do switch it I never really thought about that. Now I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money to get the LH version. :)

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    If you need a membership at willow slough, that's news to me, unless they changed something this past year.

They do have a "no rapid fire" rule, if you want to practice your double tap, you'll have to go to Jasper or somewhere else.

They also have a "No 50 BMG" rule, which is funny because you could bring a 50 DTC and technically it's not against the rules.

Someone told me once you're not even allowed to shoot shot in the trap field without clay targets. So no popping off shots into the field, I guess. Sounds stupid and I haven't verified it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    If you need a membership at willow slough, that's news to me, unless they changed something this past year.

They do have a "no rapid fire" rule, if you want to practice your double tap, you'll have to go to Jasper or somewhere else.

They also have a "No 50 BMG" rule, which is funny because you could bring a 50 DTC and technically it's not against the rules.

Someone told me once you're not even allowed to shoot shot in the trap field without clay targets. So no popping off shots into the field, I guess. Sounds stupid and I haven't verified it.

That's why I said that. I don't remember exactly what they said. All I know is I am not a member, that's it.

So wait, I can't just shoot in the field for no reason? WOW! This is the open outdoors right?

So, where can I shoot the "lead" shots from both my firearms? Anyone? With no stipulations at all... I don't care how far.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    So wait, I can't just shoot in the field for no reason? WOW! This is the open outdoors right?

I was talking about the trap field, I was told you actually had to have clay targets.

For example, if I wanted to test the Knoxx stock I'll be getting, I wouldn't be able to pop off a couple shots of buck in the field, I'd need a clay target to shoot at. That's all from what I was told by a friend, but I wouldn't try it without asking first.

As for less restrictions, you'd have to go to Jasper, the only rules they have are no full automatic fire.

I haven't been there in a while either, so unless they've done a overhaul, you should be good there.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    That's not a big deal. I've seen people line up spent shotgun shells and shoot them with the range officers(or whatever they're called) standing a few feet behind them. They're cool as hell there.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    They aren't cool to me...I've line up shotgun shells on the rifle range then the officer waited till I started shooting to yell and complain about me doing that. If I was being disrespectful or careless that would be one thing, but when I go to the range I follow all the safety rules and mind my own business. Idk it must be cause I'm young and obviously don't know anything.

:ranton:
    It's really hard for me to take the DNR seriously anymore because of the amount of times they have yelled at me about something illegal I'm doing, at the range or the Kankakee River, only to later find out I was perfectly legal. I can't tell you how many times we have been stopped by the DNR, just before we get our boat into the Kankakee, and asked a million questions and had our boat searched. All we wanted to do have take a nice afternoon and go fishing! And once again non of us were being disrespectful or doing anything to warrant attention. I guess this is what happens when your generation doesn't listen to their elders and disrespects everything

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Well, you think that's bad, try being a "safety violator" in the Marine Corps. Man, when the Safety Range officers and the Range coaches, and then the PMI instructors are done chewing your ass, you won't be able to finish the rapid fire.... Don't ever flag anyone, remember your safety rules and weapons conditions... Maintain your awareness at all times... yada yada yada... But it does save lives...

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    To be fair, I haven't been to JP in probably two years, so maybe they hired a bunch of people suffering from Sandinvaginaitis.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    To be fair, I haven't been to JP in probably two years, so maybe they hired a bunch of people suffering from Sandinvaginaitis.

Ha ha ha... Yeah, that's a good one. Well, I'll still give it a shot sometime soon. Any entrance fees or anything like that?

And, to end all, what is the best 12 gauge round for home defense???

I was looking at sabot slugs, those things look nasty. .50 cal in a shot gun? Whoo, man, no ass cheeks left after that blast :ar15:

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Most Sabot slugs are designed for rifled barrels, some of them will work with a rifled choke, but you would be better of just using a foster type slug. A foster slug is more accurate then a sabot when they are shot out of a smooth bore, because the sabot wont be spinning so it will tumble. Fosters are also a heck of a lot cheaper! I would get some 0 buck or 00 buck. I prefer 0 because you get quite a few more pellets without too much sacrifice in penetration. I would get both and load it either: buck, slug, buck, slug... or buck to start then a few slugs at the end.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Most Sabot slugs are designed for rifled barrels, some of them will work with a rifled choke, but you would be better of just using a foster type slug. A foster slug is more accurate then a sabot when they are shot out of a smooth bore, because the sabot wont be spinning so it will tumble. Fosters are also a heck of a lot cheaper! I would get some 0 buck or 00 buck. I prefer 0 because you get quite a few more pellets without too much sacrifice in penetration. I would get both and load it either: buck, slug, buck, slug... or buck to start then a few slugs at the end.

Yeah, I read the box and it said to use in rifled barrels only, undesired results in smooth bored barrels. Well, where do I find them? I bought some #6 and #8 shot last night, and then today I bought some HP slugs... Do they even make 000 buck for 12 or only 410? Either way, I'll probably do that again. I always alternate my rounds, in all my firearms.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Just look for the green and yellow remington boxes that say "slugger" on them, those are the ones I see the most. They're supposed to be pretty good out of a smoothboar. I have a rifled barrel, so I use sabots. I could(and have) use them with that barrel, and they're pretty damn accurate because it's like double the rifling, but they foul it up pretty quick.

Top Bottom