• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    A foster slug just means a slug that has the rifling on the slug itself. Most of the slugs manufactured today have this feature. If I'm not mistaken they will say on the box somewhere "foster type slug" Like TV said the Remington "slugger" slugs are a foster type slug.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Well there are some very dense metals out there, Hevi-Shot is one of the leading brands in these types of loads. Hevi-Shot a lot of hunters use it, though you can use it for HD. Basically they use different metals so 00 buck in hevi-shot weighs more than a load of 00 buck in lead. Then you can use smaller a size smaller pellets, which will give you more pellets in the shell, but the penetration will have the same effect as lead.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Well there are some very dense metals out there, Hevi-Shot is one of the leading brands in these types of loads. Hevi-Shot a lot of hunters use it, though you can use it for HD. Basically they use different metals so 00 buck in hevi-shot weighs more than a load of 00 buck in lead. Then you can use smaller a size smaller pellets, which will give you more pellets in the shell, but the penetration will have the same effect as lead.

Okay, I'll look for some of those rounds too. I like the 0 buck and 00 buck alternation though. So all it is is a composite metal then? Made up of many metals to achieve the same effect... sounds good...

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Okay, I'll look for some of those rounds too. I like the 0 buck and 00 buck alternation though. So all it is is a composite metal then? Made up of many metals to achieve the same effect... sounds good...

Yea, as they call it "a patented tungsten formula" The downside to these, I forgot to say was they are quite expensive. Like around $20- $25 for a box of 10 3" shells. For hunting they have their advantages cause you extend your lethal range. But for HD I would say lead is more than enough. I'm just telling you what else is out there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Yea, as they call it "a patented tungsten formula" The downside to these, I forgot to say was they are quite expensive. Like around $20- $25 for a box of 10 3" shells. For hunting they have their advantages cause you extend your lethal range. But for HD I would say lead is more than enough. I'm just telling you what else is out there.

Tungsten and carbide bits huh? I use those special bits for rotorary tools, (die grinders, drills, etc.) and that's what they make it out of? That would hurt I suppose. Yeah, I know, and I appreciate the help.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    The sabots I used this past season were $25 for a box of five. Before the $5 Remington rebate. I used the new AccuTip sabots. And they are worth it, at 25 yards they grouped 2.5 inches for me, that was while I was fine tuning my scope. And they killed a buck at about 25 yards for me too. He dropped like a rock, so I highly recommend those for any deer hunters out there. :D I even found the bullet when I was field dressing him, mushroomed out beautifully!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I think all but one of the deer I've ever gotten have had an exit wound. The one that didn't was weird because it was a broadside hit from up on a tree stand, so it was hitting at a downward angle, but it managed to hit the left lung and heart and then tumbled upward almost 90 degrees and lodged in the spine. The only thing I can figure is that maybe it hit the sternum and bounced up or something.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    nice, yea this was my first deer, it wasn't quite a broadside so it went in right behind his left-front shoulder blade and the hide stopped it just in front of his back-right leg. The only bone it hit was some ribs when it first entered. I liked field dressing it and seeing what i hit.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I don't know what the hell I did when I shot my first, but I completely missed the whole front half, hit it in the femoral artery of one of the legs(don't remember which). She ran like 20 feet and dropped, there was almost no blood left when my uncle dressed it.

I'll chalk it up to being 13 and having never shot from the more awkward position of a tree stand versus a wide concrete shooting range pad.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    haha but you still hit it, and killed it, that's all that counts ;) Yea I was so excited I couldn't climb down from my tree stand for like 5 minutes. Even then I was still shaking from the adrenalin and probably shouldn't have climbed down (I actually climbed the tree instead of using a ladder) I just couldn't wait any longer. I'm also 21 so I've had more experience shooting before my first hunt. For some reason I never went out deer hunting till this past year. Man was I missing something special!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yeah, apparently we're performing miracles by not getting bit by that gate.

We should challenge Richard to fire one with a scope, I'll bet he gets a nice bloody ring around his eye. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Yeah, apparently we're performing miracles by not getting bit by that gate.

We should challenge Richard to fire one with a scope, I'll bet he gets a nice bloody ring around his eye. ;)

Ha ha ha, yeah... My buddy who is a gunsmith had told me that he knew a guy that tried that, he lost 3 of his front teeth. Ouch... I tried like 3 different ways, and nothing yet... Free of busted skin...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    LOL keep shucking shells into the magazine smarty-pants & sooner or later it'll grab hold of you too!

I have gotten 50 into it so far, nothing... I could kinda see where you guys are talking about it, and I could see it being possible, but not likely...

Maybe if you push in too far or something. I have the 7 shot tube from the factory, and the spring tension might not be as tough in the beginning, but in the end, that last shell is a bit tough...

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have gotten 50 into it so far, nothing... I could kinda see where you guys are talking about it, and I could see it being possible, but not likely...

Maybe if you push in too far or something. I have the 7 shot tube from the factory, and the spring tension might not be as tough in the beginning, but in the end, that last shell is a bit tough...

Nope you don't have to slank them in really far into the tube or anything, it pinches the end part of your thumb, the part (if you have trimmed nails) right at the end of your thumbnail.

Top Bottom