• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, there is another debate. What # or type of shot is the best? In my Judge Magnum, I have #4, #6, #7 1/2, and #8, 000 buck, 1/4 oz HP slugs, etc... And I know for bigger gauges, its the same thing. 2.5, 2.75, and 3 in shells. What do you guys use for Home Defense? I can get some Speer LE 12ga ammo from some close family members...

I keep my 590 stoked with Remington Law Enforcement Managed Recoil 00 Buck.

It recoils in a very similar manner as my 500 w/trap & field loads does & it has less over-penetration concerns than standard 00 buck does, it also patterns out better a bit further than some of the other 00 buckshot ammunition that I have due Remington's "flightcontrol" wad & to the fact that there is less deformation of the copper plated pellets that are used.

Good stuff IMHO & I highly recomind it if your looking for a premium defensive load.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Well I prefer O Buck more BB's and about 12" of penetration. But OO is a viable option. Honestly I think any of them will stop a BG, but only the O Buck and bigger are a pretty sure kill.

Yeah, that's one thing I was concerned about. What is the best self defense load for any gauge, rather than just 12's. Of course, over penetration is a faulty trait for home defense. I will look around. Any ideas where you guys get this ammo? Most places here are all dried up...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    I keep my 590 stoked with Remington Law Enforcement Managed Recoil 00 Buck.

It recoils in a very similar manner as my 500 w/trap & field loads does & it has less over-penetration concerns than standard 00 buck does, it also patterns out better a bit further than some of the other 00 buckshot ammunition that I have due Remington's "flightcontrol" wad & to the fact that there is less deformation of the copper plated pellets that are used.

Good stuff IMHO & I highly recomind it if your looking for a premium defensive load.

Yeah, it makes sense. Well, where did you get that ammo at? Most LE ammo, like HST's, LE Speers, I can only get from people I know. Other than that, it has to be expired for me to purchase it at a dealer. That's what they told me...

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, it makes sense. Well, where did you get that ammo at? Most LE ammo, like HST's, LE Speers, I can only get from people I know. Other than that, it has to be expired for me to purchase it at a dealer. That's what they told me...

Dragon,

You can substitute with the commercial version: Remington Express Managed Recoil Buckshot RL12BK00, 12 Gauge, 2 3/4", 9 Pellets, 1200 fps, #00 Lead if you can't buy LE ammo locally.

I believe that the commercial version is identical to the LE ammo in everything except for name.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Dragon,

You can substitute with the commercial version: Remington Express Managed Recoil Buckshot RL12BK00, 12 Gauge, 2 3/4", 9 Pellets, 1200 fps, #00 Lead if you can't buy LE ammo locally.

I believe that the commercial version is identical to the LE ammo in everything except for name.

Okay, that's good. But seriously, what makes the LE/Commercial ammo so different? I have HSTs for my 9mm and I have different LE ammo for my .45, and I have the FP "Special" .410 Gauge shells for the Judge, but I really don't see the big difference between all them... Any input?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Okay you guys... I have come down to the conclusion of picking my home defense shotgun. I am getting a Remington 870 Express Tactical (Grey Powder coating). I can get one for 500 with tax. Anyone got any advice?

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Okay, that's good. But seriously, what makes the LE/Commercial ammo so different? I have HSTs for my 9mm and I have different LE ammo for my .45, and I have the FP "Special" .410 Gauge shells for the Judge, but I really don't see the big difference between all them... Any input?

My guess would just be that it's mostly some sort of marketing ploy.

The LE market is a fairly large market, with every village, town, city, county & state, not to mention federal agencies in the nation having to equip their officers.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Okay you guys... I have come down to the conclusion of picking my home defense shotgun. I am getting a Remington 870 Express Tactical (Grey Powder coating). I can get one for 500 with tax. Anyone got any advice?

I paid $300 for my 590 & it's the version that's decked out with ghost ring sights & speed feed 4 cartridge stock.

But congratulations on finally making a decision! the 870's are very good shotguns & it'll serve you & your family's defensive needs for generations if you take good care of it.

I'll be looking forward to your first range report!

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    The MSRP for the Express Tactical with grey powder coat is $465. Your paying a little extra but I haven't been out looking at prices are since the before the election, so now a days it might be fair.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    The MSRP for the Express Tactical with grey powder coat is $465. Your paying a little extra but I haven't been out looking at prices are since the before the election, so now a days it might be fair.

Thanks to Blythe's... I looked all around the entire area... Gander Mtn, Westforths, Blythes, Cabela's, etc... No one has any Tactical Models in, only Blythes. Everyone else said they can't get them for 3-6 months due to back order and other bs about the economy. They were the only ones that had it in, and that they would cut me a deal.

They had like 8 Mossys, all 500's, no 590's at all. Truse me, I looked. And even the 500s were pricey, 390-470ish. Wow, a whopping 100-30 dollars more for a shot gun... And I also bought the rear end grip, fore end grip, rail shroud and side saddle accessories. All from my cousin, dirt dirt cheap, I won't eve post the price I got the bundle for. You guys wouldn't believe me even if I told you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    My guess would just be that it's mostly some sort of marketing ploy.

The LE market is a fairly large market, with every village, town, city, county & state, not to mention federal agencies in the nation having to equip their officers.

Yeah, I would suppose. I don't think they use any special kind of charge or jacketing methods, yada yada... It's all the same thing. Lead or copper...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    I paid $300 for my 590 & it's the version that's decked out with ghost ring sights & speed feed 4 cartridge stock.

But congratulations on finally making a decision! the 870's are very good shotguns & it'll serve you & your family's defensive needs for generations if you take good care of it.

I'll be looking forward to your first range report!

I didn't want the ghost rings... After I made thought and made some choices, nah, its home defense, and I won't be hunting with it, only shooting ranges. They had the XS sighted one as well there, but it costs a little bit more.

Yeah, I have 2 boys, and they'll love taking care of these... I just hope they don't fight over them when they get older.

I'll have to find an outdoor range or shooting game... Deb's won't allow it, nor will Blythe's.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I'll have to find an outdoor range or shooting game... Deb's won't allow it, nor will Blythe's.
    Jasper Polaski is a real good place, they have everything from pistol to 200 yrd rifle range, and a trap only. If that is too long of a drive there is one in Newton county Willow-Slough, they have rifle/shotgun, and handgun. I don't know if they have a trap only part if you are into that?

Top Bottom