• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Right but if the pad of your finger is used to push the shell in, then the tip of the finger will hold up the loading gate and no pinching occurs.

Before this thread looses all educational value & completely becomes a "my favorite vs your favorite" pissing match or a "you must be doing it wrong" or "you don't know what your talking about" sort of worthless internet argument.

... the reason Mossberg's action doesn't feel as smooth as the 870's is because the loading gate is stored in the up position & it is brought down upon working the action open.

So it's sort of a trade off, the pinchy always down positioned loading gate & realitively smooth action on the Remingtons vs a more clunkyish feeling action & a loading gate that is kept up out of the way until it is needed as is on the Mossbergs.

Now if that's a trade off that your willing to make as a shotgun owner then hey that's great! but lets keep this in the realm of reality, no need to continually deny that it's not a pinchy design, it just makes you come off looking like an "870 fanboy" who will defend their favorite brand regardless of what the actual facts are.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Well i dont know what any of that has to do with pinching your finger. I wasn't arguing smoothness, I am just saying that using the pad of your finger keeps it from getting pinched. While I may be biased because I don't own a mossy, and I don't ever see myself owning one, I don't hate anyone for choosing a mossy. So you just need to chill :chillout: I'm not trying to **** you off I'm am jusy saying how it needs to be done so you don't pinch yourself.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well i dont know what any of that has to do with pinching your finger.

1.) The 870's loading gate design has everything to do with the pinching.

I wasn't arguing smoothness, I am just saying that using the pad of your finger keeps it from getting pinched.

2.) After you finish instructing me on how to properly slank shells into my 870 prehaps if you have the time, you'd like to show me how to properly @#$% my wife too while your at it. :laugh:

While I may be biased because I don't own a mossy, and I don't ever see myself owning one,

3.) Ya see those sorts of comments like that is where the whole "870 fanboy" comment came from in my previous post.

I don't hate anyone for choosing a mossy. So you just need to chill :chillout:
    I'm not trying to **** you off I'm am jusy saying how it needs to be done so you don't pinch yourself.

You're not pissing me off, if you want to discuss the various ins & outs of the two leading pump shotgun designs that's fine but claiming that I must not be slanking properly is rather pretentious on your part.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    1. Yes the loading gate is what we are talking about, but I was talking about the smoothness

2. Think about it man, when technique is wrong whether it is baseball, shooting, driving, or anything else you can think of, either (A.) you get hurt (aka pinched even if it is not serious) or (B.) takes up excess time. Maybe its how your body is designed, or maybe this doesn't happen to you anymore because you know how to not pinch your finger. It doesn't matter it was still done wrong at some point or another. It is ok to admit you are wrong.

3. Why would I own a mossy when the 870 works perfect for me and I know the controls. And plus there is a reason they are the two leading shotgun designs, they work!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Does it really make sense to tell someone who uses an item more often than you that "this WILL happen to you" when then person who uses it has never had it happen?

If we both had the same ladder, but you used yours daily and I used mine once a month, and I told you "You will fall off of that thing" even though you've been using it for 10 years without incident, what would you say?

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    This is getting a little out of hand guys. Richard had it happened, it's possible for it to happen. It doesn't matter whether he did it wrong or the one he had was prone to it or even that he might be shaped differently than everyone else. You weren't there when it happened so you can't say and he isn't there to see how you do it. Regardless of how many pics you post on how to do it, you think a lot more when demonstrating than when doing it for speed or on instinct and things can happen then. I think everyone needs to drop the whole "it will pinch, it won't pinch" and either let this thread die with some dignity or make it better by adding VALUABLE information about a mossy or rem (here's the kicker) FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. If it hasn't happened to you, then you don't have much ground to be arguing about it.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I only argue because he says it will happen. If it will happen then why haven't I done it with the 7 or so years I have been shooting 870's. I can see where and how it can happen, I am fine with telling people it can happen, he just makes it sound like this is some major flaw in an 870's design.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1. Yes the loading gate is what we are talking about, but I was talking about the smoothness

Which part of my previous explaination about how the smoothness of the 870 as it was related to the down position of the 870's pinchy loading gate did you fail to grasp?

2. Think about it man, when technique is wrong whether it is baseball, shooting, driving, or anything else you can think of, either (A.) you get hurt (aka pinched even if it is not serious) or (B.) takes up excess time. Maybe its how your body is designed, or maybe this doesn't happen to you anymore because you know how to not pinch your finger. It doesn't matter it was still done wrong at some point or another. It is ok to admit you are wrong.

So your essentially saying it's possible to be pinched but only if you slank the shell in *wrong* is that correct? and just how many ways do you think there are to slank a shell into a magazine tube with your thumb? and what is the margin of error required in said proper technique before said pinching occurs?

3. Why would I own a mossy when the 870 works perfect for me and I know the controls. And plus there is a reason they are the two leading shotgun designs, they work!

Using that logic, why would anyone own multiple types or brands of any firearm? I mean if a Keltec P11 works perfect for someone, why in the world would they consider owning any other handguns?

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does it really make sense to tell someone who uses an item more often than you that "this WILL happen to you" when then person who uses it has never had it happen?

If we both had the same ladder, but you used yours daily and I used mine once a month, and I told you "You will fall off of that thing" even though you've been using it for 10 years without incident, what would you say?

Law of probability.

So yea I probably would eventually fall off of my ladder.

However applying this to our shotgun discussion, there is absolutely no chance of being pinched by the loading gate on a Mossberg because it is kept out of the way "by design" - ie it is automatically retracted out of the way when the Mossberg's action is closed.

Where as the 870's loading gate is "by design" always in the down position, spring hinged in such a way that it can & probably eventually will (using the law of probability) pinch your thumb.

I know it, you know it, anyone who's ever slanked a shell into an 870 knows it - I really have no idea why there has been such a rabid defense of an obviously inferior design aspect.

Last edited:

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Using that logic, why would anyone own multiple types or brands of any firearm? I mean if a Keltec P11 works perfect for someone, why in the world would they consider owning any other handguns?

I'm saying its just a matter of thumb placement.

They would consider owning other handguns because they chose to, maybe something new came out, maybe they have a new purpose for a handgun now that they didn't have before. I own a G19 and will probably continue to only buy Glocks because I like them and they work best for me. If I would buy a different brand of handgun it would only be for target and fun. For carry I'll take my glock.

The 870 works awesome for me and I know that a mossy wouldn't work as well. So why would I spend my hard earned cash on something that I wouldn't like as much? Everyone has different reasons for their decisions and thats fine. A mossy is still a great shotgun, its just not for me.

On this note if the 870 pinches you then why do you keep using it. :dunno:Sell it and get something that wouldn't pinch you. If I kept getting pinched I would sell it to get something that didn't pinch me.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    So what do you want a cookie?

Do you want to talk about shotguns? or do you just want to help degrade the discussion into some sort of silly circus?

Shotguns are really not my thing. I own one. I think everyone ought to.
    But you are taking this discussion to new levels of sillyness.
    I appreciate your opinions on subjects but you cannot leave well enough alone or get over the fact that sometimes people might have a different opinion than yourself.
    Sorry not everyone is a Mossberg fanboy.

It was a silly circus 5 pages ago. :chillout:

If there was anything "wrong" with the 870 it would have been fixed years ago.
    Remington firearms seems to be doing fine.

Last edited:

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shotguns are really not my thing. I own one. I think everyone ought to.
    But you are taking this discussion to new levels of sillyness.
    I appreciate your opinions on subjects but you cannot leave well enough alone or get over the fact that sometimes people might have a different opinion than yourself.
    Sorry not everyone is a Mossberg fanboy.

It was a silly circus 5 pages ago. :chillout:

I am just talking shotguns man, if you have some sort of problem with me discussing the various aspects of the two brands well then you do not have to click on this thread.

If you'd like to talk shotguns then be my guest to join in by contributing something of value to the discussion, otherwise you're just wasting everyones time.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm saying its just a matter of thumb placement.

It's not a matter of thumb placement, it's a matter of loading gate placement.

They would consider owning other handguns because they chose to, maybe something new came out, maybe they have a new purpose for a handgun now that they didn't have before. I own a G19 and will probably continue to only buy Glocks because I like them and they work best for me. If I would buy a different brand of handgun it would only be for target and fun. For carry I'll take my glock.

What about all of those wacky people who own sa couple of Glocks, a couple of Colts, a couple of Sigs, a couple of Berettas?

What's the difference between them and someone who owns a bunch of different shotguns? your arguement makes no sense.

The 870 works awesome for me and I know that a mossy wouldn't work as well. So why would I spend my hard earned cash on something that I wouldn't like as much? Everyone has different reasons for their decisions and thats fine. A mossy is still a great shotgun, its just not for me.

I am glad you love every single thing about your 870, it's obvious that it's the perfect shotgun for you and that's so awesome that it's almost as awesome as finding out your really hot date is wearing panties made out of bacon, but that still does not change the fact that the 870's loading gate is pinchy & the Mossberg's isnt.

On this note if the 870 pinches you then why do you keep using it. :dunno:Sell it and get something that wouldn't pinch you. If I kept getting pinched I would sell it to get something that didn't pinch me.

*sigh* I really don't understand what is so hard to understand about this ....... it's still a good shotgun, but it could be an even better shotgun if a few problem areas were redesigned.

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    Both are better than none. Get what you can find and afford. I believe that you buy one that is equipped like you want and you should save money over building one.

As i posted in another thread don't worry about what it looks like the BG will feel the same thing in the dark.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    $500 for a Mossy if you want I have a nice bridge for sale too....

Buy a beatup Mossy for a buck then throw on the tacti-cool crap you want.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    The only reason for the price is the feed system. From what you said, it sounds like he had a Knoxx Sidewinder feed system on there which is very expensive ($400-600 on Gunbroker).

Top Bottom