• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Denny, not to make this an us vs. them argument, but YOU don't have to carry your rifle with you while on duty, all day, every day. YOU have the force of law, the authority given you with the badge, and the backing of your brothers in blue.

We have none of that, and can only rely on ourselves (and hopefully the possibility that another citizen will recognize our self defense and come to our aid, but I don't rely on that) for our protection.

Having all the tools we can at our disposal evens the playing field.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Classic case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Is it legal to wear nothing but a speedo and sandals to the mall? Yes.

SHOULD you wear nothing but a speedo and sandals to the mall? Almost certainly not.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's come to my attention that most of the posters in this thread are severely lacking in the area of reading comprehension. I didn't say half of the things I'm being accused of saying, and the other half is being misunderstood. Try actually reading my posts, then try applying some thought to what you just read. Trust me, it could be a very enlightening experience for you.

Sorry. I should have started a new post.
    I started on yours, and kept adding to it as I read.
    My apologies. I admit freely to the world that arthrimus did not say most of the things in my statement.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

SHOULD you wear nothing but a speedo and sandals to the mall? Almost certainly not.

Great case of using the anti-gunners arguement.
    Yes, it's legal to conceal carry a pistol for display.
    "But, just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012

This is a horrible argument. Who are you to tell someone what they should wear?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Denny, not to make this an us vs. them argument, but YOU don't have to carry your rifle with you while on duty, all day, every day. YOU have the force of law, the authority given you with the badge, and the backing of your brothers in blue.

We have none of that, and can only rely on ourselves (and hopefully the possibility that another citizen will recognize our self defense and come to our aid, but I don't rely on that) for our protection.

Having all the tools we can at our disposal evens the playing field.

My badge has little to do with it. When I am off-duty (and sometimes when I'm on. Dave Moore was shot to death while alone) I can only rely on myself. A rifle is a step up from my pistol. I carry my pistol with me off-duty all the time...on duty as well. If I have concerns that my pistol (on duty) is not enough...out comes the rifle. When off, I don't have ready access to my rifle, Not once in 15yrs of law enforcement have I ever considered carrying a rifle off-duty. It just never crossed my mind. If I honestly felt I needed the extra firepower of a rifle while I'm out shopping, I am either overly paranoid or gotten myself into something VERY VERY bad.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    My friendly neighborhood police agency (EPD) has written TWO letters to ISP asking that my LTCH be revoked. Not only would I lose the "permission" to carry a handgun in this state but I would lose my job that requires me to possess one. All because I stand my ground and don't break the law.

If the ISP suddenly became retarded like them and it was revoked you bet your ass I'd be carrying my rifle everywhere I went. I owe it to my family to protect them the best way available to me, it is one of my primary functions in life as a husband and a father of two.

RIGHT ON Frosty, you wouldn't be alone either... my LTCH ever gets "revoked" for whatever reason, I'll be carting around the evil looking vz.58 with at least 2 mags... I have two daughters and a wife, I'll be damned if I can't protect them!

speaking of that, I'm in SC right now... hate that they don't recognize our LTCH!

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington

No, it is a classic case of "you can, but other people get butt hurt about it, so we look down upon this person and shred him and anyone who supports his action"

Any man can do anything they want, whenever they want, however they want, they just have to be prepared to pay the consequences.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Let's take this from a logical perspective, like the logical arguments we use to defend our point of view with people that want to restrict our rights. Is there anyone that replied to this thread that is familiar with the area this guy was in? Maybe the area justified his being more heavily armed. Or like others said, maybe it was all he could carry at the time or all he had at the time. Does anyone actually personally know this guy and his situation that they can judge him on?

:popcorn:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Let's take this from a logical perspective, like the logical arguments we use to defend our point of view with people that want to restrict our rights. Is there anyone that replied to this thread that is familiar with the area this guy was in? Maybe the area justified his being more heavily armed. Or like others said, maybe it was all he could carry at the time or all he had at the time. Does anyone actually personally know this guy and his situation that they can judge him on?

:+1:

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana

Well said and we all will be Judged in the end !

manygunsmike

downrise14

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    NWI
    You know, it's frustrating that this kind of thing is news. If it's legal in his state then he is perfectly within his rights to do this, but in the hyper sensitive world in which we live today, this makes gun owners look like crazies. I hope that someday we can get society to a point that this sort of thing isn't news anymore, but right now we need to be getting exposure that reflects positively on us. This isn't it.

Walking down the middle of the street with an AR is uncalled for. Stupid. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it should be done.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    if he wasn't acting like that guy from TN whose sole purpose was to antagonize LE so he could brag about it on gun boards and sue for civil rights violations, I say have it.

It's not something I've ever felt the need to do, but it doesn't bother me.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Walking down the middle of the street with an AR is uncalled for. Stupid. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it should be done.

Once again
    Thanks for using one of the anti gun arguements.
    No one needs to carry a pistol. Just cause its legal, doesn't make it right.
    No one needs a pistol in their house for defense. Call the police. Just cause its legal........
    Etc.

So when they say it, they're wrong.
    But when you say it, its right?

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Once again
    Thanks for using one of the anti gun arguements.
    No one needs to carry a pistol. Just cause its legal, doesn't make it right.
    No one needs a pistol in their house for defense. Call the police. Just cause its legal........
    Etc.

So when they say it, they're wrong.
    But when you say it, its right?

It's absolutely ok to be hypocritical. Politicians do it all the time and look where it got them. How else do you think this country is going to go down the tubes? Doing the right thing, not jumping on the bull**** bandwagon, and minding your own business? Get the **** out! Lol :laugh:

gearjammer21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    You know there was a time when most people in this country had both a handgun and long gun on their person everyday. Its how this country was made.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    Not once in 15yrs of law enforcement have I ever considered carrying a rifle off-duty. It just never crossed my mind. If I honestly felt I needed the extra firepower of a rifle while I'm out shopping, I am either overly paranoid or gotten myself into something VERY VERY bad.

This.

Someone who feels the need to carry a rifle while going about their day to day activities has something seriously wrong going on in their head. Perhaps if these malcontents really wish to live in a society that looks like a war zone, they would prefer the unmitigated firearms freedoms of places like Somalia. At least there, they wouldn't be confirming the "looney" stereotype that is already present with regards to a lot of gun owners here in the US. Then again, for those who love nothing more than their guns, who is to say that the stereotype doesn't have a certain degree of accuracy?

Screaming "I do it because and I can, and you can't stop me!" smacks of the rantings of a snot-nosed 6 year old child.

The question is not "is this legal?" The question is, is this kind of behavior helpful? You can scream about rights all day, but the fact of the matter is, society makes the laws that we all live under. Perhaps some of you can't see outside of your little bubble, but most people don't slobber over guns and do not see anything positive about some unknown character showing up with a rifle in a setting that doesn't really call for one.

The pendulum swings both ways. It will swing back hard enough one day without these douchebags giving it the extra push.

Top Bottom