You've earned a spot in my signature.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If you are losing weight by diet alone and but still fairly sedentary, BMI is "ok" to use. However, if you are building muscle while losing fat (more muscle actually helps burn fat) then BMI is useless. I bought calipers to measure my fat content, it's not perfect either but much more accurate than BMI. Example: At 40yrs old, I am 6'2" and 250lbs. BMI puts me at 32.1 which is OBESE. They say,"For your height, a normal weight range would be from 144 to 194 pounds." In reality, my body fat is around 17%ish which means I carry 205lbs of muscle alone. There is no way in hell I could EVER get below 200lbs. I did once about 8 years ago, I took a diet pill (now illegal) that brought my weight down to 198lbs. I got yelled at by my wife because I started looking so sickly (my eyes were even getting sunken in). I cannot imagine a time where 6'2" and 144lbs is considered healthy. My point is, do not put too much thought into BMI, rather, how you feel, how your clothes fit, and how you look. Take before and after pics because the changes are gradual enough that you will not notice them.

I agree with you. The BMI reading is just there and I can't change it. My goal is 220.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Lifting and GOMAD diet. You want to put on muscle, lift heavy weight and drink a Gallon Of Milk A Day. Whole milk, none of that sissy skim milk. There is not a better muscle builder drink than whole milk.
    Umm sorry, but drinking whole milk is not a "healthy"
    way to gain weight for many reasons that I'm not taking
    a couple hours to type. :)

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I lost 40 lbs in about 7 months this year. I have regained several pounds over the last few months from rebound and plan on losing that + a little more over the next couple of months. I went to a diet doctor on the west side after my wife and a couple of our friends lost A LOT of weight there. They use a combination of appetite suppressants, diet, exercise to lose the weight. They dont take insurance, so most is out of pocket, but it works. I have started running and doing crossfit since August. If anyone wants specifics, pm me.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Hey all...for those partaking in the challenge, may I offer some suggestions:

You can get a good scale that measures % fat and they are fairly accurate. You do have to stay hydrated which is super important anyway. Calipers are not accurate unless you have been trained properly in pinching the proper amount of skin.

Eating super healthy is ridiculous. Cheat days are crazy. I used to do all of that. MyFitnessPal was the best for me. Although I am already light in weight I race bicycles and needed to lean out and lose a few more pounds. What I noticed most of all by using MyFitnessPal was how much I eat. After monitoring for 2-3 months I had a gauge on portion size. I eat whatever I want to eat but I watch my portions. I balance my healthy eating with some decadence. It is easier that way than a cheat day. If you over indulge, be sure to make sure that you watch what you eat later. I will add or subtract how much I will eat based on what I decide to eat. If I drink some beers or eat too much sweet stuff, I balance it with veggies, rice, and fruits. I may not eat as much if I ate a bit of crap. It's all about balance. If you eat a lot of low calorie healthy stuff, you can indulge to bring your totals to the desired caloric intake.

Lastly, even if you go to the gym and lift weights, that alone will not help you lose weight even if you replace it with heavier muscle. To be lean, you also need more cardio. If you have a lot of muscle, you need a healthy heart to be able to pump the blood that brings nutrients to your muscles. Cardio will also burn that unneeded fat. Cardio is more important than weights alone.

I work hard to stay the way I do, it doesn't come naturally after we reach a certain age. The more cardio you do, the more you can eat too. That is a perk. I will cycle 2-4hrs 3-6 days/wk depending on season. That burns around 1000+ calories per ride. That is 1000 more calories I can ingest and it doesn't matter what I eat or drink, you still have to replenish the calories burned.

Good luck all. I hope everyone reaches their goals and keep it off.

"What do you do to workout? I lift weights. Well, what do you do for cardio? I lift weights...faster." There are many different goals and ways to reach them. Losing weight is mostly diet. You cannot out work a crappy diet. I will never be ripped, and that's ok. I can deadlift 565lbs, back squat 425, bench 350, and snatch 215 and still play an entire match of soccer without subbing in and run a 5k in 25ish minutes. Not bad for a 40yr old 6'2" 250lbs guy. If I started leaning out too much, my strength would suffer. It is a fine balance one must keep.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Umm sorry, but drinking whole milk is not a "healthy"
    way to gain weight for many reasons that I'm not taking
    a couple hours to type. :)
    What is a "healthy" means to put on a large amount of muscle with a metabolism high enough to burn through food eaten? I see this a lot in the gym. Small guys eat whatever they want and cannot gain a pound but are sick of being small. Milk is FAR better for you than supplements and more effective in for muscle growth.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What is a "healthy" means to put on a large amount of muscle with a metabolism high enough to burn through food eaten? I see this a lot in the gym. Small guys eat whatever they want and cannot gain a pound but are sick of being small. Milk is FAR better for you than supplements and more effective in for muscle growth.

Milk and eggs.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Milk and eggs.
    4 eggs every morning for me...yummy. I don't drink milk, I don't need to. Luckily, I don't need that kind of help to build muscle. I've put on about 25lbs of it in the last year without it, it's easy for me. I do feel bad for the little guys who cannot do that.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    4 eggs every morning for me...yummy. I don't drink milk, I don't need to. Luckily, I don't need that kind of help to build muscle. I've put on about 25lbs of it in the last year without it, it's easy for me. I do feel bad for the little guys who cannot do that.

I'm lucky if I can gain 4 pounds a year. :(

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    My goal is 225 (ultimate goal that is) but my NEXT goal is 250 and I get to reward myself with a new tattoo!
    Wife is in on this with me, she has already lost a bunch but needs to lose her last little bit, so a good dose of diet and exercise should be the cure for us both!

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    First of all, I didn't mention supplements. There are a few
    that use much better ingredients than others. Lean meats like salmon, chicken breast, Turkey, and some red meat/pork is fine. Although I'm not much of a pork fan. Whole grains, eggs, and plenty of veggies. If you want to consume that much dairy, have at it.
    It's not easy for me to gain weight but I can assure you not one calorie comes from whole milk when I'm gaining.
    With my size and activity level it takes 5-6k calories/day
    to gain. I "can" eat whatever I want to gain but, that doesn't mean it's healthy or smart to. Calories from wild caught salmon is much more beneficial than calories from pizza.
    I'm seriously not trying to sound argumentative, I'm just
    saying there are healthier ways to build muscle.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Threw out all my junk food tonight! Bought alot of fruits and veggies. No more Pop and fast foods. Got my treadmill up and running, got my weight bench and bow flex ready. Soon as I download the theme song from "Rocky" it's go time!!

Top Bottom