• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Ever thought about joining the YMCA? That's were I do my strength training on the machines. I do run around stone lake - through Soldiers Memorial Park, I also run at Kesling park sometimes.

If you joined the Y I'd work out with you there, otherwise I'll def. go on some runs with ya. Let me know.

My wife and I thought about it a yr ago but it was too expensive. Found its cheaper to buy some weights and work out in the garage on my own schedule. Once my knee gets fixed would def do some running twice a week with you.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I lost 17lbs in 2 weeks on the "Pneumonia/Bronchitis/Dehydration" Diet.. and 2 more since I left the hospital for a total of 19.
    Not the right way to start, but since my appetite is way down I figured I would take the opportunity to change some habits. Right now just starting out easy with some changes in choices. No fried foods. Smaller portions. Veggies for snacks. More water. etc.
    I LIKE that. Turning a negative into a positive. Good for you!!!

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Only had time for cardio tonight. 30 mins. "Burned" 456 calories according to machine. Not bad for a quick trip.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I'm in the "my knee hurts" camp. I decided my knee was never going to feel any better unless I started losing weight (so it wouldn't have to hold my fat arse up anymore).

I lost 17lbs in 2 weeks on the "Pneumonia/Bronchitis/Dehydration" Diet.. and 2 more since I left the hospital for a total of 19.
    Not the right way to start, but since my appetite is way down I figured I would take the opportunity to change some habits. Right now just starting out easy with some changes in choices. No fried foods. Smaller portions. Veggies for snacks. More water. etc.

yogurt

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Remember, if you're going to the gym for the first time (or first time in a long time) don't be this guy.

awNOtz3.gif

Or

Urw2gW0.gif

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Strong Does Not Necessarily Equal Tough
    http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/strong-does-not-necessarily-equal-tough/?CategoryId=12&pg=2

Her is a link to workouts that do not require any machines. A friend of mine is doing this and said is pretty tough.
    "You Are Your own Gym"
    Videos | Mark Lauren

As for diets... A diet is anything you are eating weather it be bad or good. The mindset you want to develop is cutting out the sugar as others have mentioned as well as the boxed foods. Consume more vegetables, fruits etc.

Change - Hard to live with and impossible to live without.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I am in. need to get some sort of exercise going. I signed up to do the spartan run and dont want to die during it. curent weight is 182 but I am 5'5" so I would like to get down to 150 or less. MFP htrailblazer13

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Hey Baditude....if you don't mind riding in the cold, you can ride the trails as long as they are frozen. You won't damage the trails that way. I have been riding the trails when it is frozen. I plan to ride the trails this week. Ft. Ben is pretty good. If you are inexperienced and not comfortable on trails with a drop-off, just ride the lower trail section. It is super fun, also urban mountain bike rides are fun too. We have a great cycling community in Indy.

cold does not bother me, I have the gear for it. I will buy the annual parking pass for parks this weekend. I did enjoy Ft Ben (2nd place I have rode) I will do the beginner and intermediate trails next time. I have also rode SouthWest, need to get my breath back. That's why I am going to go to the gym to build my stamina / reduce shortness of breath from smoking for mountain biking.

JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    cold does not bother me, I have the gear for it. I will buy the annual parking pass for parks this weekend. I did enjoy Ft Ben (2nd place I have rode) I will do the beginner and intermediate trails next time. I have also rode SouthWest, need to get my breath back. That's why I am going to go to the gym to build my stamina / reduce shortness of breath from smoking for mountain biking.

The more you ride the more stamina and shortness of breath you will reduce. It won't make much sense to you until you have gone through it but the gym will not prepare your cardio for cycling. You will be using your biggest muscle groups in your body, so it just takes time on the bike. Even runners who switched to cycling struggled to catch their breath. It's odd but I assure you it works. Do one lap on the lower trails and stop when you need. After you ride, go on a nice walk to enjoy the rest of the park. Next time, try to go farther before you stop. Keep doing that until you complete one lap without stopping, then increase your speed. After that, attempt the lower and upper loops. Just make sure you find a good place to stop just in case that there are other riders on the trails. Good luck and welcome to the cycling scene.

As gun folk welcome new people to the gun community, we cyclists do the same thing. I hope that you really keep going on it. Mountain bike riding is fun. Brown County Park is great riding.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    The more you ride the more stamina and shortness of breath you will reduce. It won't make much sense to you until you have gone through it but the gym will not prepare your cardio for cycling. You will be using your biggest muscle groups in your body, so it just takes time on the bike. Even runners who switched to cycling struggled to catch their breath. It's odd but I assure you it works. Do one lap on the lower trails and stop when you need. After you ride, go on a nice walk to enjoy the rest of the park. Next time, try to go farther before you stop. Keep doing that until you complete one lap without stopping, then increase your speed. After that, attempt the lower and upper loops. Just make sure you find a good place to stop just in case that there are other riders on the trails. Good luck and welcome to the cycling scene.

As gun folk welcome new people to the gun community, we cyclists do the same thing. I hope that you really keep going on it. Mountain bike riding is fun. Brown County Park is great riding.

Thank you. I spent enough $ on the bikes and equipment that we are going to ride them and not collect dust. I must say bike shorts are not becoming on a fat guy, thankfully I have a jacket to cover up and time to reduce before the no jacket weather.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    couch to 5k is no joke. I just did day one and thought I was gonna die. lol I am way more out of shape than I thought so this is going to be hard.

Top Bottom