• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I whole book dedicated to why we get fat... A billion dollar industry dedicated to making it complicated. Fad diets. No carb. All carb. No sugar. All fruit. All meat. No treats. Etc etc blah blah blah.

It is simple math. Intact more calories than you burn, gain weight. Burn more calories than you take in, lose weight.

Dont starve yourself. Just watch yourself. Keep track and make small changes. Eat a little less, move a little more. everyday.

I also weight myself each morning now. That really helps keep me on track.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Anybody live in Laporte and wanna workout in my garage with me? I was doing good till about a month ago and the holidays came. I was at 225 for being at 5 ft 7, but after almost 3 weeks of quiting smoking it feels like I gained 30 lbs. Its bad enough to have a torn meniscus for 8 yrs sustained while in the service made my 5 yrs a living hell the humps and runs. The navy always said it was the same thing and I believed them. Finally got a claim started last year and it took 18 months for the VA to come back after getting looked at by a civilian Doctor and say yeah torn meniscus here's 10%. Will be getting repaired in Dec of 2014 just so I don't have to walk on the rails in icy conditiuons. Looking to get back into running and hopefully have a better experience. Anyways thats my story anyone is welcome to come to my garage to lift some free weights I don't have a bench yet, but we can do plenty of other things. I do work midnights and would be working out mon wed fri at 830ish am.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I whole book dedicated to why we get fat... A billion dollar industry dedicated to making it complicated. Fad diets. No carb. All carb. No sugar. All fruit. All meat. No treats. Etc etc blah blah blah.

It is simple math. Intact more calories than you burn, gain weight. Burn more calories than you take in, lose weight.

Dont starve yourself. Just watch yourself. Keep track and make small changes. Eat a little less, move a little more. everyday.

I also weight myself each morning now. That really helps keep me on track.
    Not quite that simple. 1,200 cal of junk food and 1,200 of salad/veggies, meat will do different things to your body and will require more/less work to remove depending on how it gets metabolized. I though much of the same way but that book was really eye opening.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I stopped eating a lot of fruits and veggies at lunch time since it's difficult to find any fresh ones this season.

So, at lunch, I have been eating tuna. Mixed with extra Olive oil, lemon juice and relish. Served on whole wheat toast and crackers. And chased with a protein shake and nuts later.

I probably should replace the bread with a tortilla wrap though.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Just cutting out sugar will make a HUGE difference in your diet. You'd be surprised how much you might lose just from that. It's added to almost everything. Great video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDaYa0AB8TQ&feature=youtu.be

Also, if you really interested in changing your way of life in regards to food and eating, this is a great read.

we cut out the sugar once for 3 months and ate fruit and veggies, that's all we changed and I lost enough weight that people noticed. It felt so good not to be eating sugary stuff, I felt better, slept better, and was in a better mood. Let me ask you this though, what about the sugars in fruit. (Bananas and grapes are my favorite) I was told that to much fruit was just as bad as eating sugary snacks???

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Anybody live in Laporte and wanna workout in my garage with me?......Looking to get back into running and hopefully have a better experience. Anyways thats my story anyone is welcome to come to my garage to lift some free weights...

Ever thought about joining the YMCA? That's were I do my strength training on the machines. I do run around stone lake - through Soldiers Memorial Park, I also run at Kesling park sometimes.

If you joined the Y I'd work out with you there, otherwise I'll def. go on some runs with ya. Let me know.

JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Not quite that simple. 1,200 cal of junk food and 1,200 of salad/veggies, meat will do different things to your body and will require more/less work to remove depending on how it gets metabolized. I though much of the same way but that book was really eye opening.

Denny....look at this Professor Loses 27 Pounds on a Junk Food Diet: Should You? | Alyce Vayle Author

I am a 44yr old man. I cannot eliminate sugar in my diet. I need it to put back the glycogen stores for cycling. I am 5'5" 137lbs in my off season. I weighed as much as 158lbs when I was lifting heavy. When I was lifting heavy, I was thick but not cut. I am now cut and I am happy how I look. You are right that if you lean out too much, you will lose strength and endurance. It is a fine line. When I am out riding 50-100mi training ride, I have to continue to feed my body sugar. I burn as much as 1500-3000 calories. It doesn't matter what I put in my body, those calories need replenished and the body doesn't care what food it is as long as those calories are replenished. When I am done, I have to continue feeding my body carbs and sugar for about the same amount of time I was out on the bike. I mix and match my cravings after a hard training ride.

Everyone have different goals but a weight lifter is not necessarily healthy. If he/she hasn't built up their cardio so the heart is strong enough to feed those big muscles, they struggle to do some of the easier tasks. I remember those days when I lifted weights but going up 2-3 flights of stairs made me out of breath. Lifting faster is not cardio, you need to maintain a certain HR over time to consider it cardio. I have to get my HR up over 140 bpm to even start doing any real work. I have a max HR of about 210 bpm at my age. Runners and cyclists are lean because they only need the muscles in the places that matter. If they have big upper bodies, that takes away from the oxygen and nutrients to reach the needed muscle groups.

What I am telling some (although each body is different), trying to go entirely healthy and take away things that people like will not work. Weight Watchers is proven because they give point values to what you eat. Junk food have higher point values and healthier foods have lower point values. If you moderate the junk while eating relatively healthy, you will lose or maintain. It's all about portion control. If one does not exercise but wants to lose weight, eat less but not too low. Add more food to ones diet if exercise is added. Weight lifting is muscle building but mostly anaerobic exercise. CrossFit seems like a great balance of cardio with weight lifting but I have not tried it.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Well I am in starting Wednesday as well 6' 268 lbs but I quit smoking on 11/12/13 yeah I did that on purpose but gained 15 lbs since then
    46 years young

I am Baditude67 on MFP

My plan is to do Medifast to help get the bulk off quicker + workout once I get below 200 I will goto normal food. Also I bought my wife and I mountain bikes for Christmas and will start riding more when it won't damage the trails

JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Well I am in starting Wednesday as well 6' 268 lbs but I quit smoking on 11/12/13 yeah I did that on purpose but gained 15 lbs since then
    46 years young

I am Baditude67 on MFP

My plan is to do Medifast to help get the bulk off quicker + workout once I get below 200 I will goto normal food. Also I bought my wife and I mountain bikes for Christmas and will start riding more when it won't damage the trails

Hey Baditude....if you don't mind riding in the cold, you can ride the trails as long as they are frozen. You won't damage the trails that way. I have been riding the trails when it is frozen. I plan to ride the trails this week. Ft. Ben is pretty good. If you are inexperienced and not comfortable on trails with a drop-off, just ride the lower trail section. It is super fun, also urban mountain bike rides are fun too. We have a great cycling community in Indy.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    we cut out the sugar once for 3 months and ate fruit and veggies, that's all we changed and I lost enough weight that people noticed. It felt so good not to be eating sugary stuff, I felt better, slept better, and was in a better mood. Let me ask you this though, what about the sugars in fruit. (Bananas and grapes are my favorite) I was told that to much fruit was just as bad as eating sugary snacks???
    I don't drink or smoke, but sugar is HARD for me to quit. I have before and need to get that back out of my diet. Once you get past the cravings, it does feel good. Funny you should ask but you notice how most fruit is really sweet anymore? They have been bred to be high in fructose (natural) to satisfy our sweet tooth. Treat it as a desert or post workout snack rather than the go-to snack for whenever you are hungry. Your body reacts the same to natural fructose as it does to man made.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm on MFP as jagee33, but as stated previously I am currently trying to gain a little weight so I can lose more and win the cash for biggest loser at work.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Denny....look at this Professor Loses 27 Pounds on a Junk Food Diet: Should You? | Alyce Vayle Author

I am a 44yr old man. I cannot eliminate sugar in my diet. I need it to put back the glycogen stores for cycling. I am 5'5" 137lbs in my off season. I weighed as much as 158lbs when I was lifting heavy. When I was lifting heavy, I was thick but not cut. I am now cut and I am happy how I look. You are right that if you lean out too much, you will lose strength and endurance. It is a fine line. When I am out riding 50-100mi training ride, I have to continue to feed my body sugar. I burn as much as 1500-3000 calories. It doesn't matter what I put in my body, those calories need replenished and the body doesn't care what food it is as long as those calories are replenished. When I am done, I have to continue feeding my body carbs and sugar for about the same amount of time I was out on the bike. I mix and match my cravings after a hard training ride.

Everyone have different goals but a weight lifter is not necessarily healthy. If he/she hasn't built up their cardio so the heart is strong enough to feed those big muscles, they struggle to do some of the easier tasks. I remember those days when I lifted weights but going up 2-3 flights of stairs made me out of breath. Lifting faster is not cardio, you need to maintain a certain HR over time to consider it cardio. I have to get my HR up over 140 bpm to even start doing any real work. I have a max HR of about 210 bpm at my age. Runners and cyclists are lean because they only need the muscles in the places that matter. If they have big upper bodies, that takes away from the oxygen and nutrients to reach the needed muscle groups.

What I am telling some (although each body is different), trying to go entirely healthy and take away things that people like will not work. Weight Watchers is proven because they give point values to what you eat. Junk food have higher point values and healthier foods have lower point values. If you moderate the junk while eating relatively healthy, you will lose or maintain. It's all about portion control. If one does not exercise but wants to lose weight, eat less but not too low. Add more food to ones diet if exercise is added. Weight lifting is muscle building but mostly anaerobic exercise. CrossFit seems like a great balance of cardio with weight lifting but I have not tried it.
    Riding that much is on the high end of dietary needs, most don't do enough to burn that much energy. But you are doing what is right for your needs. Most people could cut most of their sugar intake and would NEVER miss it. Same with processed carbs, we just eat way to much of both. Of course your diet will be dependent on your activity and goals. I don't care about getting cut, I care that I'm not fat and that I'm strong enough that I can grab just about any of my co-workers, throw them over my shoulder and carry them out of harms way if needed. 5k is the most I will ever run and I will curse the entire time but most will not catch me in 100m running sprints or 500m rowing sprints. I play fullback in soccer...it's funny to see 250lb old man keeping up with the college aged 140lb forwards.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I lost 17lbs in 2 weeks on the "Pneumonia/Bronchitis/Dehydration" Diet.. and 2 more since I left the hospital for a total of 19.
    Not the right way to start, but since my appetite is way down I figured I would take the opportunity to change some habits. Right now just starting out easy with some changes in choices. No fried foods. Smaller portions. Veggies for snacks. More water. etc.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I don't drink or smoke, but sugar is HARD for me to quit. I have before and need to get that back out of my diet. Once you get past the cravings, it does feel good. Funny you should ask but you notice how most fruit is really sweet anymore? They have been bred to be high in fructose (natural) to satisfy our sweet tooth. Treat it as a desert or post workout snack rather than the go-to snack for whenever you are hungry. Your body reacts the same to natural fructose as it does to man made.
    same here, I quit smoking a few years ago and the sugar is just as bad! When I quit putting sugar in my coffee I had to force myself to drink it for about a week! Good info about the fruit, I'll try to keep that in mind this time!

Top Bottom