• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You will never get bigger with body weight workouts. Don't get me wrong, those are GREAT movements but you can only get bigger by loading up a barbell and squatting, pressing, dead lifting, cleaning, and snatching.

I'm not expert but I think that doing things like biceps curls with a barbell or doing chin ups with your body weight is the same thing.:dunno:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm not expert but I think that doing things like biceps curls with a barbell or doing chin ups with your body weight is the same thing.:dunno:
    Isolating and using different muscle groups to different degrees. If adding size is the game, then adding weight becomes the necessity.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Haven't heard this before. Have an case examples to share? With the added vitamin D I can see where there would be a significant difference between 2% and whole even.

I focused on power lifting last year following Wendler's 5/3/1 program. I read/studied as much as I could about strength gains and GOMAD kept getting brought up. Mark Rippetoe and Jim Wendler (both whom I have a great deal of respect for) highly recommend this. There are others but I cannot recall their names off the top of my head. It'n not for everyone and I would only use it for the guys that have trouble gaining mass. Most of us do not have that problem ;). But for those who do, it is a REAL problem. Also, you need to be on a lifting program to make use of this, like 5/3/1 or Starting Strength.

Is GOMAD recommended for every newb?
    What Is Your Experience With GOMAD?
    Why GOMAD Is Rubbish.
    GOMAD: How to Gain 25lbs in 25 Days with Squats & Milk | StrongLifts StrongLifts
    TESTOSTERONE NATION | Debating Whether to Do GOMAD - Page 1

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Don't you have/run/work with a local crossfit gym Denny?
    Yes, I am an "at large" trainer for Indyshield CrossFit since 2010, meaning that I am a regular patrol officer but on my off-time I help train at the gym. I had plateaued in strength with strict CrossFit and in December 2012 I decided that in 2013 I would focus on on changing that. I did about 9 months of 5/3/1 powerlifting and then transitioned to Catalyst Athletics programming for weightlifting. That is what I am currently doing.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Please tell me you are not the guy doing bicep curls in the squat rack.

I'm pretty easy going, but people doing curls on the squat rack makes me want to throat punch somebody. They're lucky I'm old, fat, & slow!

not sure why it ticks me off so much, just the principle I guess. I've seen all shapes, sizes, ages, do it, but no girls.

ASD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Southside
    I'm glad to see so many of you are willing to do a lifestyle change and get in shape. I at one time decided to do the same. I was always the fat kid growing and year after year the weight just kept adding on by the time I was a freshman in highschool I was up to 240lbs. I grew up in jersey and during the summer everyone wanted to be at the beach or a pool and I was always too embarrassed to take my shirt off and join in. This is when I decided to make a change and by the time I was a senior i was down to 150lbs. It takes alot of hard work and discipline but I guarantee the results and the way you feel is worth it.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I'm in! I think I sent everyone an invite that posted their MFP username. Mine is voodoo304 for those that I missed. Another app that I use to track my physical activity is RunKeeper. This app can tie into MFP and log your fitness numbers in for you as you do them. And it's not just for running, there's everything from housework to mowing the lawn to mountain climbing.
    good luck everyone!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    sallesport.gif

JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hey all...for those partaking in the challenge, may I offer some suggestions:

You can get a good scale that measures % fat and they are fairly accurate. You do have to stay hydrated which is super important anyway. Calipers are not accurate unless you have been trained properly in pinching the proper amount of skin.

Eating super healthy is ridiculous. Cheat days are crazy. I used to do all of that. MyFitnessPal was the best for me. Although I am already light in weight I race bicycles and needed to lean out and lose a few more pounds. What I noticed most of all by using MyFitnessPal was how much I eat. After monitoring for 2-3 months I had a gauge on portion size. I eat whatever I want to eat but I watch my portions. I balance my healthy eating with some decadence. It is easier that way than a cheat day. If you over indulge, be sure to make sure that you watch what you eat later. I will add or subtract how much I will eat based on what I decide to eat. If I drink some beers or eat too much sweet stuff, I balance it with veggies, rice, and fruits. I may not eat as much if I ate a bit of crap. It's all about balance. If you eat a lot of low calorie healthy stuff, you can indulge to bring your totals to the desired caloric intake.

Lastly, even if you go to the gym and lift weights, that alone will not help you lose weight even if you replace it with heavier muscle. To be lean, you also need more cardio. If you have a lot of muscle, you need a healthy heart to be able to pump the blood that brings nutrients to your muscles. Cardio will also burn that unneeded fat. Cardio is more important than weights alone.

I work hard to stay the way I do, it doesn't come naturally after we reach a certain age. The more cardio you do, the more you can eat too. That is a perk. I will cycle 2-4hrs 3-6 days/wk depending on season. That burns around 1000+ calories per ride. That is 1000 more calories I can ingest and it doesn't matter what I eat or drink, you still have to replenish the calories burned.

Good luck all. I hope everyone reaches their goals and keep it off.

Top Bottom