Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    IMHO we have to make some changes to the current system. It's a shame and a disservice to our children, when they are giving a highschool diploma, that some of them can not even read. We have dummied down the tests and expectations, so as not to offend or hurt anyone's self image. We must demand more from our teachers and administrators. Our children deserve better, our country deserves better.

Not all of this is directed at R.G.Gray.

99% of teacher give a pound of flesh every single day at school. If they do not fire them.

Why is it the teacher gets no credit for the 97% who pass the class or excel, but the 3% with the F is their fault? Why is it my fault that the kid does not go to bed on time, spend some time reading and studying at home, or that the phone number you gave the school for me to call you when there is a problem does not work. Why is that my gradebook is online and you can check if from your phone but you did not know that your son has been skipping school and not doing any work for 18 weeks? You did not know he was failing?

Probably because it is public school run by a government monoply that is trying make mush of everyones brains so they are easier to control. So that evil teachers in slacks and sweaters can suck the life out of society via their blooksucking unions. That way they can sit back and get filthy rich and enjoy the cozy life.

The absolute audacity of people who are professionals to expect to be paid a living wage that is on a level with the education that they needed to be qualified for the job.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

99% of teacher give a pound of flesh every single day at school. If they do not fire them.

Why is it the teacher gets no credit for the 97% who pass the class or excel, but the 3% with the F is their fault? Why is it my fault that the kid does not go to bed on time, spend some time reading and studying at home, or that the phone number you gave the school for me to call you when there is a problem does not work. Why is that my gradebook is online and you can check if from your phone but you did not know that your son has been skipping school and not doing any work for 18 weeks? You did not know he was failing?

Probably because it is public school run by a government monoply that is trying make mush of everyones brains so they are easier to control. So that evil teachers in slacks and sweaters can suck the life out of society via their blooksucking unions. That way they can sit back and get filthy rich and enjoy the cozy life.

The absolute audacity of people who are professionals to expect to be paid a living wage that is on a level with the education that they needed to be qualified for the job.

I hear this stuff every night. My wife teaches 2nd grade. It's amazing the stories I hear...

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    It is nice to hear from actual educators as opposed to those who wish to destroy public education out of sheer selfishness and narrow ideology. Thank you, teachers.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Qualified for the job?

That's a joke. So you sat for 4 years (maybe more of the same if there's a master's involved) learning methods and rubrics and how to plan lessons. That doesn't make you qualified to teach. That qualifies you for graduation and certification.

I did none of that and I'm infinitely qualified to teach. (Not to be confused with qualified for teaching employment by the state.) And I've met plenty of graduated and certified individuals who were woefully inadequate. My sixth grade teacher comes to mind.

You should be paid for your services, without a doubt. But there's nothing but hubris in an opinion that certification and specialized education are the qualifications for being a teacher.

None of this is to imply that on an individual level there are fabulous teachers. My English Lit and Calc teachers were awesome and I credit them with a lot of positive influence in my life. But they were good in spite of their little piece of paper. Not because of it.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    You should be paid for your services, without a doubt. But there's nothing but hubris in an opinion that certification and specialized education are the qualifications for being a teacher.

None of this is to imply that on an individual level there are fabulous teachers. My English Lit and Calc teachers were awesome and I credit them with a lot of positive influence in my life. But they were good in spite of their little piece of paper. Not because of it.

I've met doctors that couldn't figure out email and actually PAID an assistant to do it for them.

I'm glad you are successful with home schooling, I've met kids who were homeschooled that were excellent students, well behaved, and I could tell their parents gave a crap. I've also seen homeschooled kids that didn't know their colors by the age of 7.

At the end of the day, the major difference in ALL of this is the parents caring. If the parents care, the students do better. End of discussion.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It is nice to hear from actual educators as opposed to those who wish to destroy public education out of sheer selfishness and narrow ideology. Thank you, teachers.

Yes, no one should allow their ideology to interfere with government indoctrination. It's almost as if you think they are your kids and not the governments.

I'm calling my community organizer.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yes, no one should allow their ideology to interfere with government indoctrination. It's almost as if you think they are your kids and not the governments.

I'm calling my community organizer.

Guess he doesn't see me as a teacher either.

I make no bones about wanting to rip public education out of existence. There is nothing positive that comes from it that warrants the costs.

If you support public education, then you have no reason not to support welfare spending or Obamacare. And if you claim to a champion of freedom and support public education, then you are a hypocrite of the first order.

Everything about public education is anti-thetical to freedom.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Guess he doesn't see me as a teacher either.

I make no bones about wanting to rip public education out of existence. There is nothing positive that comes from it that warrants the costs.

If you support public education, then you have no reason not to support welfare spending or Obamacare. And if you claim to a champion of freedom and support public education, then you are a hypocrite of the first order.

Everything about public education is anti-thetical to freedom.

A-men...

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Feel better? So setting up a system to educate our children is a bad thing?

StrawMan.jpg

Well hello, Captain Strawman.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Okay Mr. Smarty pants, what part of my statement was too hard to comprehend?

You misrepresented the argument with the implication that we are anti-education.

Similar example:

If I was against food stamps, a similar argument would be to say "Oh, I see...so you don't want our kids to have food!'

False. I want kids to have food. I want kids to be educated. I don't think the government has any business providing either.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    You misrepresented the argument with the implication that we are anti-education.

Similar example:

If I was against food stamps, a similar argument would be to say "Oh, I see...so you don't want our kids to have food!'

False. I want kids to have food. I want kids to be educated. I don't think the government has any business providing either.

So you want to entrust your kids education to private companies?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Question- how many lawyers did any of you talk to about judge retention before deciding how to vote? Did you make a point of it, or did you make your own decision without asking a lawyer?

Same question about attorney general.

How many of you voted for a county surveyor? How many surveyors did you talk to before voting?

Did you vote for Sheriff? How many deputies did you talk to?

I have my own beliefs, ideas and position on education. I will not cede my opinions on education to teachers.

For some reason, everyone protests banks having too close a relationship with their regulators...actually, it makes sense. However, we are supposed to let teachers and teachers alone pick their regulator? Sure.

I agree, there are great teachers...and poor ones. Being a teacher is not a mark of sainthood. I will not cry over teacher salaries when the salaries were public record when you decided to become a teacher. I am also more than slightly annoyed how public sector employees, on average, were the only large group of employees with regular salary increases between 2008 and 2011. Many (perhaps most) private sector employees saw real income stagnate or decline while public sector employees complained that their raises were not sufficient.

...but you can't criticize a teacher, 'cause it's all for the children....yeah, right.

Top Bottom