• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    You assume this is done at public universities, don't you?

I did. Are these private institutions allowing teenage homeschoolers to take a seat from a potential 4 year graduate? I don't know. Can you give an example? Honest inquiry here, I will cede my condescension. How very polite, right? :) A truce, if you will.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'm not interested in debating the an-caps, but I do have a question.

What do homeschoolers do when it comes lab science? Or is the standard model that the students go to high school at the appropriate time. I seem to remember that happening with a few classmates, but that was quite some time ago.

Here in rural Pa, there is a very active homeschool group. The parents share teaching duties in their area of expertise. For example, the group has a Chemistry professor from the local university and an ER doctor that teach sciences. The group shares the expenses.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My kids are in a home school co-op here in NWI. As for science- we buy a lot of supplies. Home schooling is not cheap or easy.

....but why the gvt. would care much when they can't even guarantee success in their own schools, I'll never know.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I did. Are these private institutions allowing teenage homeschoolers to take a seat from a potential 4 year graduate? I don't know. Can you give an example? Honest inquiry here, I will cede my condescension. How very polite, right? :) A truce, if you will.

You'd be half right. ;) It does take place at both public and private.

Most of the public schools (IU, Purdue, Ball State, IUPUI, Ivy Tech) and most of the private schools. Franklin and Hanover were not on the list. I went to Hanover and I don't think they offer it. AT least they didn't then. But I know Franklin does because one of my clients homeschooled her two boys through high school and both took a couple of dual-credit courses at Franklin. The list I reference is provided by the state of Indiana and it may be that Franklin doesn't offer dual-credit according to the standards of the Indiana DOEd. But they do offer them. Otherwise, I think all of the other private institutions offer them.

Homeschoolers who take dual-credit courses pay for it just like any other student. There is no "leaning" on anybody. And as it relates to the topic of this thread, no one is forcing students to attend college or otherwise dictate when or how they educate themselves. Or holding them to minimum standards.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    My kids are in a home school co-op here in NWI. As for science- we buy a lot of supplies. Home schooling is not cheap or easy.

....but why the gvt. would care much when they can't even guarantee success in their own schools, I'll never know.

This is a thread-jack. Sorry! I have trouble concentrating on your posts. Every time I see that adorable face peering at me, I get distracted. :D

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is a thread-jack. Sorry! I have trouble concentrating on your posts. Every time I see that adorable face peering at me, I get distracted. :D

That's our youngest son, Teddy-7 at the range for my older son's 4-H Shooting Sports workshop.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I am serious and here's why. Our former Supt. had a thing for privatizing education via vouchers and giving away poorly performing schools to private companies.

I am curious, since a lot of you seem to despise public education, what a better alternative is. Obviously not every parent can home school, so what are the options?

Any parent who wants to homeschool can do so. Married, single, employed, or not, rich, poor, HS education or PhD, sick or well. It takes effort and determination, but it can be done, and has been done by parents of all stripes. All you have to do is give a **** about your kids.

I'm not saying that parents who don't homeschool don't care about their kids, but their is no excuse, only the reason of not thinking it is worth the effort.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    WTF, you don't have a clue what you are talking about do you?

Do you even know any teachers on a personal level? Yeah they are rich and live in big houses don't they? Low effort? That is completely insulting to many great teachers out there. I guess you, and some others here are a perfect example of someone who is insatiable.

The public school teacher I know best on a personal level barely has a pot to **** in and, although he was concerned for his job (one he recently acquired after having been laid off) under Bennett, he is also a homeschooler, and therefore voted against Ritz once he learned of her comments.

Some folks hold different values.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I'm interested in how a homeschooler would go about the simplest of laboratory setups. Something like a Buchner funnel and flask. I wonder if homeschoolers go all in on topics like this. Sure, you can construct this in your garage or what have you, but how many homeschoolers do this?
    At my public high school the most advanced laboratory experiment we actually did in chemistry was to make ice cream or maybe a simple acid/base reaction. We never did anything that couldn't be replicated at home.

Shelly1582

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I stopped reading around page 13 but wanted to point out that options are available, even without vouchers. We pulled my kids out of local school and opted to try the k-12 virtual public school option. My oldest did great, as always, but my youngest daughter craved the social aspects of school. We were able to fill out some paperwork and transfer them to a better school in another jurisdiction, no extra cost. They are straight A students.

Top Bottom