• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    My wife is a teacher and I used to be as well. I will never vote for Bennet, he's a pompous ass who is convinced that his cronies in the private education sector can fix education. Take a look at the published grade reports from Indiana regarding those pet projects of his. Guess what, they all sucked for the most part.

What happens if education is for profit? Easy, teacher salaries go down massively. Ask any teacher at a private school vs. a public school and see what they make. A lot of teachers at private schools don't make squat, some barely above minimum wage. If that's the future you want, then vote for Tony.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My wife is a teacher and I used to be as well. I will never vote for Bennet, he's a pompous ass who is convinced that his cronies in the private education sector can fix education. Take a look at the published grade reports from Indiana regarding those pet projects of his. Guess what, they all sucked for the most part.

What happens if education is for profit? Easy, teacher salaries go down massively. Ask any teacher at a private school vs. a public school and see what they make. A lot of teachers at private schools don't make squat, some barely above minimum wage. If that's the future you want, then vote for Tony.

Teacher salaries determined by collective bargaining of "free" taxpayer monies are not the standard. Every government position pays higher than its private counterpart because there's no accountability for the use of funds and no opportunity cost built in to the expenditure.

Is it your position then that mandated attendance at a government monopoly school staffed by teachers with inflated salaries who have little to no accountability to the people who "pay" for their services is going to put out a better product than a for-profit school that is dependent on keeping the paying customer satisfied to ensure its continued existence?

Is that why public schools have dismal track records when compared to their private school counterparts? Teachers weren't getting paid enough.

If you support government-sponsored, tax-funded compulsory attendance education, you might as well embrace single payer health care as well. There is no difference. Except at least in single payer health care you don't HAVE to go to the ****-poor doc.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Teacher salaries determined by collective bargaining of "free" taxpayer monies are not the standard. Every government position pays higher than its private counterpart because there's no accountability for the use of funds and no opportunity cost built in to the expenditure.

Daniels took away collective bargaining from education so that's no longer on the table. There are some good public schools, and some bad schools. Like every system in the known universe, not everything is perfect.

HOWEVER, Bennet's solution is the equivalent of robbing education (which Daniels did do by taking $300 million by lying about a budget shortcoming when in truth there was a surplus) and giving education away to private companies that don't have ANY accountability.

R.G.Gray

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    IMHO we have to make some changes to the current system. It's a shame and a disservice to our children, when they are giving a highschool diploma, that some of them can not even read. We have dummied down the tests and expectations, so as not to offend or hurt anyone's self image. We must demand more from our teachers and administrators. Our children deserve better, our country deserves better.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    IMHO we have to make some changes to the current system. It's a shame and a disservice to our children, when they are giving a highschool diploma, that some of them can not even read. We have dummied down the tests and expectations, so as not to offend or hurt anyone's self image. We must demand more from our teachers and administrators. Our children deserve better, our country deserves better.

How about demanding more from parents who send their kids to school without breakfast, don't help them do homework or even study for exams?

Demanding more from teachers is idiotic, most teachers I know are fed up with the garbage going on with "demanding more" from them. How about taking responsibility for your own kids instead of blaming the teachers?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    How about demanding more from parents who send their kids to school without breakfast, don't help them do homework or even study for exams?

Demanding more from teachers is idiotic, most teachers I know are fed up with the garbage going on with "demanding more" from them. How about taking responsibility for your own kids instead of blaming the teachers?

+100

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Bennett isn't as good as I would like. We (homeschoolers) have gone numerous rounds with him in the past. But he's a far sight better for the taxpayer and for a parent who doesn't shrug off the education responsibility to others. Ritz doesn't care about freedom, choice, or results. She only cares about control and maintaining that government monopoly on indoctrination.

What leads you to believe that Bennett will be better for homeschooling than the alternative?

This is a pretty critical issue to me so I'd like to know what his policy is on it, but all I've seen are quotes from Ritz on the subject.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon

Thank you, now I don't have to type that.
    The teacher didn't give your kid an F, they earned it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Daniels took away collective bargaining from education so that's no longer on the table. There are some good public schools, and some bad schools. Like every system in the known universe, not everything is perfect.

I stand corrected on this. Thanks. I'll remove it from my repertoire.

HOWEVER, Bennet's solution is the equivalent of robbing education (which Daniels did do by taking $300 million by lying about a budget shortcoming when in truth there was a surplus) and giving education away to private companies that don't have ANY accountability.

Specifics? Private companies always have accountability since they are being paid for their services and they can be replaced. It is the government that has no accountability.

How about letting families be free to make their own choices?

Funny, that's exactly what I'm attempting to do, and yet people want to support a candidate that takes away my ability to do just that.

What leads you to believe that Bennett will be better for homeschooling than the alternative?

This is a pretty critical issue to me so I'd like to know what his policy is on it, but all I've seen are quotes from Ritz on the subject.

In his past tenure he made no efforts to regulate homeschoolers beyond existing state legislation regarding compulsory attendance and equivalency standards (which aren't defined). In discussions with his staff, it is clear he doesn't think we need more oversight because we aren't a problem. On the issue of public school push-out, he recognized the contradiction of regulating homeschoolers because of the actions of the public schools.

He's still a politician. But he isn't tunnel-visioned by the education system like most of the candidates for this position. Frankly, I don't want a teacher in the position. The inability to think of anything but the teacher-employee viewpoint is a huge turn-off.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Sue Ellen Reed spent 20 years screwing up the public school system in Indiana...it's going to take another decade to get it right again.

I voted for Bennett.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

'Nother way to think about the comparison: Think of home education like RKBA.

Bennett is the candidate that doesn't want to regulate your right to own, use, carry any more than already exists, and just *might* sign legislation that comes across his desk making things better. (Though Bennett doesn't sign legislation; I was just using that as an example.)

Ritz is the the candidate that thinks the few people who use a particular tool for malicious purposes is sufficient justification to regulate out of existence everybody else's rights.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    My wife is a teacher. She is not union.

We both voted Ritz, Romney, Pence, Mourdock, and NO for Davids

No matter how good a teacher is, he cannot FORCE ghetto thugs to learn. The current evaluation process is BS. If you want to get good teachers in inner city schools, you cant base the majority of their evaluation on raw test scores.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    'Nother way to think about the comparison: Think of home education like RKBA.

Bennett is the candidate that doesn't want to regulate your right to own, use, carry any more than already exists, and just *might* sign legislation that comes across his desk making things better. (Though Bennett doesn't sign legislation; I was just using that as an example.)

Ritz is the the candidate that thinks the few people who use a particular tool for malicious purposes is sufficient justification to regulate out of existence everybody else's rights.

Thanks for the info. There's a lot of local races to get educated on and I let this one slip.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have no interest in supporting a union lackey. It would eliminate a lot of haggling if the government's representative was in the union's pocket...but no.

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    My wife is a teacher. She is not union.

We both voted Ritz, Romney, Pence, Mourdock, and NO for Davids

No matter how good a teacher is, he cannot FORCE ghetto thugs to learn. The current evaluation process is BS. If you want to get good teachers in inner city schools, you cant base the majority of their evaluation on raw test scores.

I think that about summed it up (apart from how I voted). Kids spend countless hours taking the same crappy tests over and over. Some kids may need that, a lot do not.

Top Bottom