• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    Menace - totally agreed. I have the greatest of respect for many of the teachers. This particular person (Ritz) appears to be being sold to us by the union. (Homie don't buy dat...) I just tend to draw a pretty solid line between the great teachers that I know on one hand and the union on the other. And I find it danged unfortunate that many of the great teachers find themselves roped in by the situation.

I appreciate your insight. My wife is a highly effective teacher but still has her job in jeopardy just because because of what she teaches.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I've had teachers all over my fb feed saying vote for Ritz. They're complaining because he want's to get rid of their union and abolish the dept of ed as we know it... I'm sold. Go Tony, Go.

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Well that was a pretty biased article even for this site. The fact is, Bennett is trying to run the public education system in Indiana like a business. Education is not a business, therefore it cannot be run like one. And if anyone wants to preach the "fiscal responsibility" platform to me about how Bennett is running education, just realize that the ISTEP alone costs Indiana tens of millions per year, a test that Ritz plans to get rid of in favor of a growth model test, which reflects individual student growth rather than the growth of a collective population.

Also, I encourage you to call any public school teacher you know who is a Republican and ask them for whom they are voting. I can almost guarantee you they will say Glenda Ritz. And the teachers' union has nothing to do with it as far as most teachers are concerned. I honestly don't know a single teacher who is arguing for Ritz on the basis that she will strengthen the teachers' union. I also don't know a single teacher who is voting for Tony Bennett either. And I know quite a few as my wife is a teacher.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Also, I encourage you to call any public school teacher you know who is a Republican and ask them for whom they are voting. I can almost guarantee you they will say Glenda Ritz. And the teachers' union has nothing to do with it as far as most teachers are concerned. I honestly don't know a single teacher who is arguing for Ritz on the basis that she will strengthen the teachers' union. I also don't know a single teacher who is voting for Tony Bennett either. And I know quite a few as my wife is a teacher.

You guys have piqued my interest (I hadn't heard of this race much until now), so I googled around a bit. NPR found the teacher you were asking for above.

Why One IPS Teacher Says She’s Voting For Tony Bennett | StateImpact Indiana

Everything I read in this article makes me want to vote for Bennett... and it's from that bastion of conservative thought (NPR). :D

Again - Ritz is gonna have to be sold a LOT before before I'm buying.

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I appreciate your insight. My wife is a highly effective teacher but still has her job in jeopardy just because because of what she teaches.

Congratulation on your wife being a highly effective educator. Is this according to the RISE model? That's pretty difficult to do. My wife is a teacher as well so I know how hard it is to be deemed "effective." Do you think any of these other guys even know what the RISE model is?

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Well that was a pretty biased article even for this site. The fact is, Bennett is trying to run the public education system in Indiana like a business. Education is not a business, therefore it cannot be run like one. And if anyone wants to preach the "fiscal responsibility" platform to me about how Bennett is running education, just realize that the ISTEP alone costs Indiana tens of millions per year, a test that Ritz plans to get rid of in favor of a growth model test, which reflects individual student growth rather than the growth of a collective population.

Everyone is a libertarian until it comes to an issue that benefits them financially. Some Republican teachers will vote for the union plant because it benefits them financially, not the students. The teacher's union could care less about the education of children.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    just realize that the ISTEP alone costs Indiana tens of millions per year, a test that Ritz plans to get rid of in favor of a growth model test, which reflects individual student growth rather than the growth of a collective population.

And how much would it cost to administer this test and then grade? Seems like any test they can come up with to give to the same amount of students in the state will cost one heck of a pretty penny.

hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    My son and future daughter-in-law both both will soon be graduating from college with their teaching degrees hoping to pursue a career in education. My son is even more conservative then me (that takes some work). Neither are a fan of unions and they both are stating that Glenda Ritz is the best choice.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Here are the court documents of when Bennett was found guilty of breaking Indiana law regarding teacher contracts:

See page 7, letter f:http://www.nsba.org/SchoolLaw/Legal-Clips-Documents/ISTA-v-IDE.pdf

Also, I realize that the case was brought by the ISTA, and I know some of you are going to point that out, but breaking the law is breaking the law, period.

It would seem to me, given the wild rhetoric and invective that I am reading, that the Union got a burr under their saddle due to bargaining issues - and it has sworn to pull out all the stops and take out Mr. Bennett. That may not be the whole story, but it appears to be at least part of it.

If that's the case - then I have to ask one more question:
    If Bennett wins, to whom is he indebted?
    If Ritz wins, to whom is she indebted?

Again - I don't know these two from Adam - but I have to take a long look at who their associates are...

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Can we get off the Union thing? I'm asking you to please call an educator who wants nothing to do with unions and ask him/her why he/she is voting for Ritz. I think hoosiersasquatch might be able to help you if you're having trouble finding one.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Sorry I cannot get off the Union thing. Teachers may have legit reasons to support her, beats the h out of me what they may be. Fact of the matter Ritz is bought and paid for by the ISTA. When the Dems didnt challenge her the ISTA pledged $600,000 + staff to Ritz.

ISTA Candidate=RUN

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Sorry I cannot get off the Union thing. Teachers may have legit reasons to support her, beats the h out of me what they may be. Fact of the matter Ritz is bought and paid for by the ISTA. When the Dems didnt challenge her the ISTA pledged $600,000 + staff to Ritz.

ISTA Candidate=RUN

Who's supporting Bennett? Do they live in Indiana?

40% of Bennett's campaign dollars are coming from out-of-state entities, one of whom is a company who specializes in taking over "failing" schools. Also, Michael Bloomberg is his fourth highest contributor, giving Bennett $40,000 for his campaign.

Here are all of Bennett's contributors by dollar amount, date of contribution, or location:

http://stateimpact.npr.org/indiana/bennett-campaign-contributions-august-2012/

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Can we get off the Union thing? I'm asking you to please call an educator who wants nothing to do with unions and ask him/her why he/she is voting for Ritz. I think hoosiersasquatch might be able to help you if you're having trouble finding one.

Get off the union thing? No. Only in that ANY candidates major backers ought to be considered in any decision.

Now. Are you a teacher? What dog do you have in this fight? I am merely a guy that writes software for a living. Tonight I sat down and this topic intrigued me. Frankly the only thing I knew about Ms. Ritz is that most of the homes that displayed a sign with her name on it had a bunch of Democrat signs as well. A few of them even had the guts to have an Obama sign... (hey I live in the boonies...)

I'm willing to listen to anyone - especially teachers - but they need to answer the questions below. Clearly.

As I research this, I see things to like about both people. That said, the people that she hangs out with scare the hell out of me. They represent everything that is WRONG with America and little of what is right. Based on that, I'm willing to listen to anyone that is willing to come on INGO - and tell me WHY she is so much better that I should overlook the fact that she is sponsored by and primarily backed by people that I have a HUGE disagreement with.

I guess my question about Bennett is this: he appears to be for school choice (+1) he appears to be driving things forward (albeit via standardized tests...) Kind of a +1 and a -1. So maybe he's a bureaucratic wonk...-1 for that. Never met a school admin that didn't have a hint of dork in him.... :D
    What is so bad about Bennett that I should consider Ritz. What has he done that is so evil as to deserve the scorn and vitriol that I'm hearing from the teachers? And more so from the union?

Top Bottom