• ...and so much more!
  • Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    54b3e46b_not-sure-if-serious.jpeg

I am serious and here's why. Our former Supt. had a thing for privatizing education via vouchers and giving away poorly performing schools to private companies.

I am curious, since a lot of you seem to despise public education, what a better alternative is. Obviously not every parent can home school, so what are the options?

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Well the union won now I am sure the schools are going to be great! IPS will graduate at least 50% of the kids and the public schools will stop being sucking drains on the tax payers of Indiana. I am lucky to live in a town with "ok" public schools that were getting even better. Now we will just have to wait and see but I really hope vouchers and school choice are not axed. I will raise the money to send my kids to private schools should I need to, but vouchers would be the key to quality education for many lower income familys. Ever think about it... if teachers want to be union thugs they should get into a hard hat or axe handle kind of industry, most of the screechy old union hag teachers here are not very intimidating. Waving their fingers *****ing how they are under paid for what is really a part time, seasonal job.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am serious and here's why. Our former Supt. had a thing for privatizing education via vouchers and giving away poorly performing schools to private companies.

I am curious, since a lot of you seem to despise public education, what a better alternative is. Obviously not every parent can home school, so what are the options?

My children are educated in private schools. I chose them specifically based on the curriculum, reputation, and the fact that since I'm a paying customer, I get much better service.

I did not agree with the "voucher" program, as it was basically another form of welfare.

If you're going to offer a voucher, it should be available to everyone.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    My children are educated in private schools. I chose them specifically based on the curriculum, reputation, and the fact that since I'm a paying customer, I get much better service.

I did not agree with the "voucher" program, as it was basically another form of welfare.

If you're going to offer a voucher, it should be available to everyone.

I agree 10000%. Vouchers don't help, they are simply a bandaid covering a broken leg. Education needs bigtime reform, but it needs to be done correctly.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Good God, if you're going to criticize Bennett at least get the facts straight. Vouchers aren't privatization. Vouchers are the way of allowing the money to follow the kid instead of sitting in some school that can't function.

Charter Schools are NOT private. They are public, in every sense of the word. I would think you would love vouchers since they still make other people pay for the education but allow those dollars to be used effectively at an institution that will actually provide an education.

I reject your premise that in order to justify the abolition of government education I have to come up with something "better" until you define the parameters of what constitutes "good" so I can know what "better" is supposed to mean.

Homeschooling doesn't mean the educator has to be the parent.

But I disagree. With the exception of cognitive of physical impairments that actively prevent the ability to do it, every parent CAN homeschool. Most just don't want to or don't know how. There are single parents who work full time and still homeschool.

And there's always the private/parochial schools. If people didn't have to fork over a portion of their income to pay for every other kid's education, they just might be able to afford one for their own.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Good luck with that. The union successfully installed their lackey as the Superintendant of Education. They are now negotiating with themselves. I am so thankful that my kids have finished college and are out in the world.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I agree 10000%. Vouchers don't help, they are simply a bandaid covering a broken leg. Education needs bigtime reform, but it needs to be done correctly.

You're agreeing with the wrong thing.

They way "vouchers" are set up now, they are basically state scholarships for the poor.

I do not qualify for vouchers, because I don't have enough children, and I make just enough to exceed their income limit.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Vouchers don't fix the systemic problem, but it does provide an avenue for the children to get a better education than the pissant failure they would be forced to attend without them.

Why don't you want kids to have the best education they can get?

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Vouchers don't fix the systemic problem, but it does provide an avenue for the children to get a better education than the pissant failure they would be forced to attend without them.

Why don't you want kids to have the best education they can get?

I never said I didn't want them to get a good education. I know the system needs to be fixed.

Vouchers enable people to choose to go to a private school (or a parochial school if you so choose). These are typically schools that can expel you for poor performance. Public schools cannot do this. So, fast forward 10 years if the voucher program gains popularity. There will be a "Haves" and "have not" system in place where public schools are stuck with what is left of the kids since people will choose to go elsewhere, if they don't perform, they get kicked out and put back in public schools.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    88GT you talk like a teacher. Are you?

I got tired of teaching the same crap at the college level I expect students to master by high school graduation, so I tried to do a two year program to get licensed, but washed out due to personality conflicts with those gatekeepers. I'm still imminently qualified to teach any high school aged kid any high school mathematics, physics, and computer concepts, and some college level concepts, but I can't get licensed.

I'm wondering about trying to whore myself out to Wabash Valley area homeschool families/groups to help them cover more STEM subject areas.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Good God, if you're going to criticize Bennett at least get the facts straight. Vouchers aren't privatization. Vouchers are the way of allowing the money to follow the kid instead of sitting in some school that can't function.

Charter Schools are NOT private. They are public, in every sense of the word. I would think you would love vouchers since they still make other people pay for the education but allow those dollars to be used effectively at an institution that will actually provide an education.

I reject your premise that in order to justify the abolition of government education I have to come up with something "better" until you define the parameters of what constitutes "good" so I can know what "better" is supposed to mean.

Homeschooling doesn't mean the educator has to be the parent.

But I disagree. With the exception of cognitive of physical impairments that actively prevent the ability to do it, every parent CAN homeschool. Most just don't want to or don't know how. There are single parents who work full time and still homeschool.

And there's always the private/parochial schools. If people didn't have to fork over a portion of their income to pay for every other kid's education, they just might be able to afford one for their own.

You can choose to send your child to a parochial school, thereby choosing a private school beholden to different standards for education.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    88GT you talk like a teacher. Are you?

Only to my own children and those here on INGO who need some schoolin' of their own.

I got tired of teaching the same crap at the college level I expect students to master by high school graduation, so I tried to do a two year program to get licensed, but washed out due to personality conflicts with those gatekeepers. I'm still imminently qualified to teach any high school aged kid any high school mathematics, physics, and computer concepts, and some college level concepts, but I can't get licensed.

I'm wondering about trying to whore myself out to Wabash Valley area homeschool families/groups to help them cover more STEM subject areas.

You'd probably have an eager audience. Let me know if you need contact info.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I went to a public school (in Michigan) K-6. I went to a private Christian school in Elkhart, 7-12. I went to a private Christian college for 4 years and a private law school. My parents- middle class, but providing the education they believed was better was a higher priority than a bigger house or new cars. I paid for college and law school myself by spending some time playing with automatic weapons on behalf of my Uncle Sam.

I am not against public education or private, formal education. Not at all.

My kids have been home schooled (all four). I am perfectly willing to continue paying my taxes for services I never receive, all I ask is that the State stay out of our decision to home school our kids. Seriously, that's all I ask. That is exactly what Bennett did and I have some doubts that Ritz will do likewise.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I went to a public school (in Michigan) K-6. I went to a private Christian school in Elkhart, 7-12. I went to a private Christian college for 4 years and a private law school. My parents- middle class, but providing the education they believed was better was a higher priority than a bigger house or new cars. I paid for college and law school myself by spending some time playing with automatic weapons on behalf of my Uncle Sam.

I am not against public education or private, formal education. Not at all.

My kids have been home schooled (all four). I am perfectly willing to continue paying my taxes for services I never receive, all I ask is that the State stay out of our decision to home school our kids. Seriously, that's all I ask. That is exactly what Bennett did and I have some doubts that Ritz will do likewise.

Within 6 months of her installation we will see efforts to regulate homeschoolers.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Only to my own children and those here on INGO who need some schoolin' of their own.

You'd probably have an eager audience. Let me know if you need contact info.
    Oh, I do. I most certainly do. I should have enough PM space availble for several messages.

I've only just started reading up on homeschooling laws in Indiana, but with the election of Ritz, I've stopped, as I have no idea how long any of that info will remain valid. I'd be happy with an upto 35 mile drive one-way from the geographic center of Terre Haute.

Oh, and I have my own whiteboard, it that matters. :):

Top Bottom