IN police shatter car window, extract passenger after alleged seatbelt violation

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...On a side note was the family from IL or IN? Meaning did the car plates say IN or IL?

Being a Region Rat, surely you know that having IL plates does not mean you are from Illinois, live in Illinois, or have been to Illinois in the recent past.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Being a Region Rat, surely you know that having IL plates does not mean you are from Illinois, live in Illinois, or have been to Illinois in the recent past.

What I was getting at (and I don't have any proof/data just an observation) is that Hammond PD* tends to stop a lot of IL plates for the smallest of things (headlight, no seat belt, etc..) and I wonder if this is what started the whole thing along with a few other facts which as I told CIB I'm not about to post here.

*Actually Munster, IN PD also sharing the 'state line' with IL does this even more as they want to "keep" that "munster is clean" environment.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just read Da Lah, IC 9-19-10-2, and where I thought it was an infraction for the driver to have any occupant that was unrestrained, that is not the case. The infraction is on the unrestrained occupant. Further, section 8 defines it as a class D infraction. So, if the officers legitimately observed this man without his seatbelt on while the vehicle was in motion, the failure to ID self statute, IC 34-28-5-3.5 is implicated, but as we can see he made every effort to ID himself to the officers, and indeed, he was not charged with failure to ID self, that is clearly not the issue here. All we have then is the order for the man to egress the vehicle, to which I do not believe the 9 wise men in D.C. have seen fit to offer any defenses for refusal of blind compliance. However, I cannot say that as a black man in America, surrounded with clearly aggressing white men with guns, I would not have been just as trepidatious as he clearly was.

This is gonna come down to was he given enough fair warning of the use of the halligan before it was coming through the window, and was the halligan's use in line with dept. protocol.

But then, there's also IC 9-19-10-3.1(a)/State V Richardson, which forbids a stop exclusively for seatbelt violation checks, and also forbids expanding a seatbelt stop to other infractions, and forbids expanding the stop to searches of the vehicle or of its occupants. If this is a case where the HPD was expanding the seatbelt stop impermissibly, they can still get their asses handed to them in court.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI

I don't get that. Is it a voting thing?

They do put their glasses down to shield there eyes from the glass as it is coming.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    What I was getting at (and I don't have any proof/data just an observation) is that Hammond PD* tends to stop a lot of IL plates for the smallest of things (headlight, no seat belt, etc..) and I wonder if this is what started the whole thing along with a few other facts which as I told CIB I'm not about to post here.

*Actually Munster, IN PD also sharing the 'state line' with IL does this even more as they want to "keep" that "munster is clean" environment.

This is true.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I don't get that. Is it a voting thing?

What don't you get "thug"?

ps.
    For those of you OUTSIDE NWI INGO Ericpwp is the "original thug" of our group. The first time he showed up to one of our meet & shoots he came late and did the pistol competition at the very last second and won it with a Hi-Point! :faint: Thus he is our original thug of the group. :)

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I don't know. I was at the bmv when a lady with an IL license was trying to sign a waver of occupancy for a guy that said he was living in IN. She could not, because she had no proof the she herself lived in IN. According to her having IN plates on her car was sufficient. I just figured they were trying to register to vote.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Halligan

Well that looks uncomfortable if that is one of the tools they use for body cavity searches.

That thing means business.
    halligan1.gif

The guy didn't see that coming? Not something you would wear on your duty belt.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    an asinine statement based wholy in jack-assery if ever there was one

oh let it be VUPDblue, the JBT crowd won this round on INGO. ;)
    Neither side is ever going to change the other side's opinion no matter what the facts are.
    But the entertainment value is always well worth it.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+1]"Welcome to the Hammond Police Department's Website.
    At 211 offficers strong, The Hammond Police Department is committed to providing our citizens
    the safest living environment possible. We strive to be the most professional and best trained police
    department in the State. I am very proud of our officers and the service we provide." [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=+1]John D Doughty, Hammond Chief of Police[/SIZE]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Re: why so many people in NWI have Illinois plates and live in Indiana

IL plates cost less on newer vehicles....much less. Example, my wife's minivan:

2012 Chrysler T & C-
    Indiana- $228
    Illinois- $101

The newer and more expensive the vehicle, the greater the difference.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This is why I have a dash cam. If they don't have RAS, and rip me out of a car like that, I've got the ENTIRE thing on video.

What kind to you have?

Re: why so many people in NWI have Illinois plates and live in Indiana

IL plates cost less on newer vehicles....much less. Example, my wife's minivan:

2012 Chrysler T & C-
    Indiana- $228
    Illinois- $101

The newer and more expensive the vehicle, the greater the difference.

:facepalm:
    sssssshhhhhhh you are giving away all the secrets from "Da Region"!
    Typically PORTER county resident you!

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    IC, But they have town stickers as well.

Those laws are confusing for everyone. It is the non seat belt wearers ticket, but you can't inspect him. So, they had to see the passenger not wearing it first?!?!?!

Top Bottom