IN police shatter car window, extract passenger after alleged seatbelt violation

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If the cops keep escalating this, soon there will be more than just one out in the PA woods looking for a chance to get even. No threat or intent implied or intended. Just a prediction. Eventually, folks are going to get fed up with this and do a little "beer for my horses" on these guys.

The only thing that scares me more than a cop walking up to my vehicle is a Muslim with a machete (for the record, I just returned from Indonesia, the most populous Muslim nation in the world).

Yes, there are good cops; just like there are good Muslims.

So what exactly did the two PA Troopers do to the guy to deserve being ambushed?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    the seatbelt violation is an infraction and you must identify yourself. looks like you contradicted yourself in your post above.

They said they were writing a ticket to the passenger as well.

And per the article, he tried to id himself by giving them a ticket he had received, they refused it. Also per the article he was wearing his seat belt, and if he wasn't why wasn't that one of the charges against him? Or failure to ID one of the charges?

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Well I did not see him take it off in the vid, and they did not have to get him out of it removing him from the vehicle.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    From the video, it looks like the police went well over the top on this one, but putting too much faith in what one side tells the local media is kind of naive. It doesn't look good, but keep an open mind about what we don't see in the video, at least until both sides have their say. Just a thought.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    You know, the driver could have defused this whole situation by saying No ingles, and requesting political asylum....

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    i was having this convo a few weeks ago. only thing i found was a police forum saying majority would arrest who ever didnt identify themselves

Police are not legally allowed to arrest someone for failure to identify themselves unless they have PC. Only then can they force you to identify yourself.

If they don't have PC and they arrest you for not identifying yourself, I'd be opening a lawsuit.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Police are not legally allowed to arrest someone for failure to identify themselves unless they have PC. Only then can they force you to identify yourself.

If they don't have PC and they arrest you for not identifying yourself, I'd be opening a lawsuit.

What do YOU believe is PC for an arrest on refusal to identify? Don't just cut and paste the IC, I want to know what you mean.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Provided you survive the hail of lead that the JBTs will shoot for "officer safety" or your family can always do the lawsuit.
    We have seen this time and time again and nothing is going to change any time soon.
    :(

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    One must first survive an encounter with police. If they can't arrest you for failing to identify then they will find something else. If they want you they will take you regardless of the law.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I find it interesting that he wasn't charged with refusal to identify. That was the reason for yanking him through the window.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well I did not see him take it off in the vid, and they did not have to get him out of it removing him from the vehicle.

I didn't see it either, but that clip starts after the beginning of the stop. Who knows what happened before? But in the video he states a couple of times that he gave the officers his info and appears to be trying to give them the ticket with his info on it. So failure to ID seems to be bs even if he wasn't wearing his seat belt.

[video=youtube_share;XsW-QCxXkQA]http://youtu.be/XsW-QCxXkQA[/video]

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen it before. It does seem to back up the report that he tried to give them the ticket and that he had previously IDed himself before since he stated a couple of times that he had given the other officers his info.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sickening. Just watched that video. All of those officers need to be fired and put in jail.

Smashing a window all over children and tazering a non violent passenger that was pulled over for a seatbelt violation is absolutely unacceptable. They didn't so much as give a warning that they were going to break the window and drag him out.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sickening. Just watched that video. All of those officers need to be fired and put in jail.

Smashing a window all over children and tazering a non violent passenger that was pulled over for a seatbelt violation is absolutely unacceptable. They didn't so much as give a warning that they were going to break the window and drag him out.

Officer safety you know. Plus I think it was on the fox32 website that the police said they saw him reaching into the center console for something *cough* gun *cough* so that forced them to break the glass.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Officer safety you know. Plus I think it was on the fox32 website that the police said they saw him reaching into the center console for something *cough* gun *cough* so that forced them to break the glass.

Yeah, that MUST be it. "We thought he was reaching for a gun." BS...you see the other officers get out of the way to be clear of the glass shards. They knew they were going to break the glass, tazer him, and drag him out, and they knew there was no reason for it.

Thugs. Just because they wear blue doesn't mean they're anything more than street level thugs.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Those kids are going to have a healthy respect for law enforcement from here on out.

He asked for a supervisor several times, tried to show him what papers he had with him, didn't seem to be belligerent. Unless that cop was carrying that tool around with him (why would he) then he knew exactly what he intended to do when he went to get it. This guy has two other excessive force charges against him that were settled and are being paid, why is he still on the street?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    why is he still on the street?

Because this is Hammond, IN which is in Lake County, IN and IS the corruption cesspool of northern Indiana. (Indy *might* attempt to rival it in corruption but we learn from Chicago around here). In any case the JBT has not messed with anyone with power (yet) so he will continue on his JB ways.

On a side note was the family from IL or IN? Meaning did the car plates say IN or IL?

Top Bottom