IN police shatter car window, extract passenger after alleged seatbelt violation

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Exactly. It's not illegal to not have a picture ID. All you are required to provide in such a situation is full name and place of residence.

its really great when the police officers don't know the law.

I read one article where the PD is claiming the guy wasn't wearing his seat belt either. If that is true, then they have a right to enforce the law that mandates he wear his seat belt. Since that is an infraction in Indiana, then he has to provide his ID. From what I saw, he tried to provide it, but they refused, then they shattered his window. It seems they were hell bent on getting some form of official picture ID. My only assumption here is that they likely thought he had a warrant and didn't want to ID himself with legitimate ID. Unfortunately for Hammond PD, the law states that a person can provide information verbally. We only see part of the situation, so I'll withhold judgement until the prosecutor or civil case works itself out.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Exactly. It's not illegal to not have a picture ID. All you are required to provide in such a situation is full name and place of residence.

its really great when the police officers don't know the law.

There has to be allowances, what about those too poor to get an ID to vote, what do they do?

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    I live in Hammond right down the road from the "incident". I got a seat belt ticket last year from a Hammond cop. He asked me to get out after he stopped me and I did. Got the ticket, got in my truck and went on my way. Notice in the recent stop there's a cop SUV both behind and in front of the vehicle. The passenger refused to get out and the second car was called. The 14 year old in back started rolling his video masterpiece and mom starts "oh my, I'm afraid" adding her part to the movie. This BS is unbelievable. The couple in that car provoked the cops and got minimally what they deserved.

Illinois plates are less than $200, but virtually every city or county has a "city sticker' that must be purchased yearly and displayed in the windshield and in in the case of Chicago is around $125 or more

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I live in Hammond right down the road from the "incident". I got a seat belt ticket last year from a Hammond cop. He asked me to get out after he stopped me and I did. Got the ticket, got in my truck and went on my way. Notice in the recent stop there's a cop SUV both behind and in front of the vehicle. The passenger refused to get out and the second car was called. The 14 year old in back started rolling his video masterpiece and mom starts "oh my, I'm afraid" adding her part to the movie. This BS is unbelievable. The couple in that car provoked the cops and got minimally what they deserved.

Illinois plates are less than $200, but virtually every city or county has a "city sticker' that must be purchased yearly and displayed in the windshield and in in the case of Chicago is around $125 or more

Which officer were you?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Cops with goatees look so unprofessional and corrupt lol.
    i think the cops were in the right from what I've seen. These .... Just thought they were above the law and intended to make a scene. Also they exploited children and risked their safety to do it. Take the kids away and throw them in jail where they will feel at home

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I agree that videos don't tell the whole story but.... the passenger is showing restraint. Even if his failure to show ID quickly is what caused more cops to pull up, the guy was not acting threatening at the time the glass was broken. The cop totally lost his cool. Worse than that, the other cops nearby did nothing to persuade him to calm down. And , after the window was broken and the man was removed from the car, he showed more restraint than I would have shown if you break a window towards my kids for no reason.

I agree with an earlier poster about contacting our legislators. While this case may be immediately relevant to the officer(s) involved, it highlights why it is foolish to put armed officers up against civilians for a seat belt violation, all with the purpose of satisfying the insurance lobbies.

Come to think of it, the insurance lobbies just got another boost from this lawsuit.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

Even if your scenario is accurate, I can't find my way to an excuse for the officer's behavior.

Suppose this family is composed of such great actors that they were at first beligerent than all behaved reasonably once the camera was on.

Even then, the cop had buddies there to help control the situation. I don't see any threats from the family. A guy getting ready to shoot the cops doesn't ask for supervisors (both himself and his girlfriend making a phone call).

It was time for the officers to deescalate as well.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I agree that videos don't tell the whole story but.... the passenger is showing restraint.

The passenger is showing restraint? What do you mean by that? The police are telling him to exit and he is not exiting.

How is not complying with a lawful police order showing restraint?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Some me of us prefer our rights. You shouldn't be forced to exit your vehicle for a seatbelt violation.

In fact, you shouldn't be forced to wear a seatbelt if you don't want to. What a joke of a nanny state law.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In fact, you shouldn't be forced to wear a seatbelt if you don't want to. What a joke of a nanny state law.

There is the law of what we believe should be and then there is reality.

He wasn't being "forced" to exit because of a seatbelt ticket. It was because he was digging like a terrier through his man bag.

We really need an INGO traffic school thread.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    The passenger is showing restraint? What do you mean by that? The police are telling him to exit and he is not exiting.

How is not complying with a lawful police order showing restraint?

"What I mean" is that the average person should not be expected to know nor appreciate the finer points of police training and evaluate how "lawful" the stop or request is.

He was showing restraint because he spoke in a reasonable manner, had his window partially down, and expressed his concern.

Restraint does not equal "compliance" in some situations.

I'm a middle-aged woman, but if you blow my window in pieces into my car with my family in it, I'm not sure I could avoid screaming, kicking, and thrashing after that. I think he showed restraint in the way he behaved and in the manner in which he asked them WHY they broke his window.

I'm really disappointed that "compliance" is even suggested as a meaningful analysis of "showing restraint".

Top Bottom