• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Yup, that's the position my Fiance is in at this moment. She's an RN and works night shift, so she's been driving while "not supposed to". Her hospital doesn't care what's going on, if you're scheduled you have to be at work. Obviously you can call off, but it pisses of every other nurse their, and you get written up. She'll be working extra tomorrow because people will definitely call off. I don't know how or why you would get a ticket if you have to be at work. Most businesses who could shut down, did shut down.

She brought stuff to stay tomorrow if she has to work extra. She doesn't like driving in this weather when she's fully alert, but she hates it even more after working 16+ hours.

Medical personnel are exempt. Even when I ventured off to Walmart this afternoon in my pajamas and slippers, I had my RN ID with me. :)

It also comes in helpful if you ever get pulled over while in uniform to/from work. Seems like they don't give you tickets as long as it's not outrageous-no idea if the blue here are more friendly to uniformed types or not.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Several years ago, I left for work one morning. It was already starting to get bad but not so bad that the Mustang in front of me couldn't do 45mph. I passed houses of fellow coworkers who didn't bother to show up. It kept getting worse so they shut production down and sent them home.

Being maintenance, I was told I could not go home without taking attendance points. Would have been one thing if we were actually doing things like keeping pipes from freezing, etc. but they had us doing pm work. Meanwhile, I lose power at home and the inside temp got down to the 50's. I was on a 12 hour shift. I risked points and losing a savings bond for $500 perfect attendance bonus.

The next day, those who didn't bother to even try coming into work the day before were told that they weren't getting attendance points and they all thought it was hilarious. I decided that day, never again. I'll take the day off and risk the attendance points.

There is nothing out there I need bad enough that I'm willing to risk injury to those who would have to come rescue me.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Yup, that's the position my Fiance is in at this moment. She's an RN and works night shift, so she's been driving while "not supposed to". Her hospital doesn't care what's going on, if you're scheduled you have to be at work. Obviously you can call off, but it pisses of every other nurse their, and you get written up. She'll be working extra tomorrow because people will definitely call off. I don't know how or why you would get a ticket if you have to be at work. Most businesses who could shut down, did shut down.

She brought stuff to stay tomorrow if she has to work extra. She doesn't like driving in this weather when she's fully alert, but she hates it even more after working 16+ hours.

Sorry to tell you this, but she's not breaking any law. Nursing staff are exempt, as well as any other 'emergency' personnel.

I am sure plenty will when they go to work unless all the gas stations and grocery stores and such are all closed down.

Yep, I'll be at work.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Several years ago, I left for work one morning. It was already starting to get bad but not so bad that the Mustang in front of me couldn't do 45mph. I passed houses of fellow coworkers who didn't bother to show up. It kept getting worse so they shut production down and sent them home.

Being maintenance, I was told I could not go home without taking attendance points. Would have been one thing if we were actually doing things like keeping pipes from freezing, etc. but they had us doing pm work. Meanwhile, I lose power at home and the inside temp got down to the 50's. I was on a 12 hour shift. I risked points and losing a savings bond for $500 perfect attendance bonus.

The next day, those who didn't bother to even try coming into work the day before were told that they weren't getting attendance points and they all thought it was hilarious. I decided that day, never again. I'll take the day off and risk the attendance points.

There is nothing out there I need bad enough that I'm willing to risk injury to those who would have to come rescue me.

I saw 2 cars stuck in snow on 465 at 5am where they tried to merge on/off the ramps cuz only the left 2 lanes were cleared. As much as I wanted to stop and help, one person pushing probably isn't much help, but then you risk exposing yourself to whatever idiot driving down solid ice will do to you while texting/driving as well. Nope.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Sorry to tell you this, but she's not breaking any law. Nursing staff are exempt, as well as any other 'emergency' personnel.

If she's working over 16 consecutive hours, it's a no-no. I've never found out what the authority involved is, but between the hospitals I've worked at or done clinicals, all have said absolutely no to anything more than a 16 hour shift.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I am still curious as to how one is suppose to know if a particular political subdivision has decided that "may restrict" travel is indeed in effect as opposed to merely having the legal means to restrict travel?

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If she's working over 16 consecutive hours, it's a no-no. I've never found out what the authority involved is, but between the hospitals I've worked at or done clinicals, all have said absolutely no to anything more than a 16 hour shift.

I didn't mean the working, just the travel TO work.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    How he missed the dozens of semis that the news said were lined up all along Rt. 30 waiting to get onto 65, or how he missed the barracades, or why he approached the officer by asking if there was a problem.

There was not a single barracade. There where some Semis at the top of the ramp pulled over at that point it was to late.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    How he missed the dozens of semis that the news said were lined up all along Rt. 30 waiting to get onto 65

The OP said there was "nothing" indicating the ramp was closed. I know that I was checking the traffic cams last night and since I got up this morning quite frequently (including the one at Rt30 and I65) since I had a trip to Indy planned for today. I didn't see a "line of semis"... or even one semi at any time today. Come to think of it, the most I saw at any given time were solitary vehicles.

or how he missed the barracades

Again, the OP said: "... there was no sign at the bottom of the ramp. I had know idea it was closed there was no sign or anything." I don't have a reason to disbelieve him. Side note ... if they had barricades up, why would they have a trooper posted further up the ramp? If it was to catch the occasional violator on an otherwise deserted road, the redundancy would seem like a waste of manpower during a horrific weather calamity.

or why he approached the officer by asking if there was a problem.

Some people would simply turn around and some people would do what the OP did in this case. I don't see how this makes his account suspect. Maybe he thought there was an accident or spin out that was about to be cleared. Only the OP could answer that question.

Bottom line is that some people are not glued to media of any type. Some people come home and never turn on a tv. Some people drive to work without flipping the radio on. Some people can actually exist without their phones by their side (or ear). Some people still have flip phones or no phones at all. Some people have never heard of INGO or even surfed "the web." Some people have never set foot in a movie theater. Some people don't know or care who Miley Cyrus is. They lead happy lives and sometimes they don't even ask for permission to drive to work. The biggest problem I see in this whole story is that a man with a badge chose to be a law enforcement officer instead of a peace officer. He chose, under the color of law, to punish someone with a financial burden instead of exercising common sense and discretion.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio

I wasn't worried about her "breaking" the law. I was just stating that most people on the road are on their way to or from work, so tickets for being on the road is a bit absurd. The majority of my post was agreeing with FORGOP's post about hospitals not caring if you have to travel in terrible conditions, you show or get written up. It's her line of work, so it is what it is, but I'm sure you won't find the floor manager, or any manager risking themselves like they expect (force?) the other RN's to.

She is done at 16 "clocked in hours", but 16 work hours would be about 17 being at the hospital with getting in a bit early, required lunch break, and leaving.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DJLouis
    Top Bottom