• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Agree about the basic "stay off the roads- snow emergency". Most whiny bosses don't feel you should not miss work due to personal survival. I work 10 miles away, but it is all open, rural, "snow white out heaven" If the stay home order comes out, I obey it as it may mean dying in the event no one can get to you. Dying worth $80? No way.
    A live employee makes more $ for the boss than a dead one. Someone gets overtime... oh well. They wil pi** and moan, but they are alive, right?
    The dipstick cruisers with" no care in the world" deserve to be ticketed. Not someone trying to get home.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Agree about the basic "stay off the roads- snow emergency". Most whiny bosses don't feel you should not miss work due to personal survival. I work 10 miles away, but it is all open, rural, "snow white out heaven" If the stay home order comes out, I obey it as it may mean dying in the event no one can get to you. Dying worth $80? No way.
    A live employee makes more $ for the boss than a dead one. Someone gets overtime... oh well. They wil pi** and moan, but they are alive, right?
    The dipstick cruisers with" no care in the world" deserve to be ticketed. Not someone trying to get home.

This takes in a lot of assumptions regarding unanswered questions...

I can remember having a sheriff who would declare the county roads closed if he drew a 3 foot diameter circle on the ground and two snowflakes fell inside it. It is reasonable to simply accept such an infringement on my personal freedom over someone being an asshat?

I can accept people being held responsible for actual damage they do to themselves or others, but being grounded by local officials is a bad idea and a dangerous precedent. At some point, a more egregious example will be manifested and the response will be, 'how is this different from what we have been doing for decades with snow?'

How do you prioritize anyone's 'need' to be on the road? Why should differing rights and freedom be allotted based on the arbitrary opinion of some elected or appointed official?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Anyone besides me flip through these old threads looking for shooters?....... Man, that was a train wreck.

Once in a great while, but I generally don't really have time for such a search. It is interesting to be reminded of those who have come and gone, some missed, others not missed.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    My work "never closes" for weather either. It's a major auto palrts company. We were told by our District Manager that we are "essential personnel" because we sell stuff that people Out clearing roads need, like batteries, washer fluid, and wipers. We closed once, a few hours early, when Hamilton County Sheriff was saying "close up, go home or your going to be ticketed" and "we will not be responding to non life threatening calls".

The boss got written up.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here I sit with the State of Emergency in Porter County extended until noon. Well, I have some work to do here so it's not a total loss. There's nothing I have going on for a couple of hours that make me being on the roads more important than the plows being able to clear them. On my way home yesterday afternoon, I saw numerous cars in the ditch, so I have no doubt it's a mess this morning.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    almost 60 years living here in Indiana and i have only heard of the "state of emergency, road closures" maybe half a dozen times. Here in northern Indiana we have now had at least 3 in the last two winters. It seems as if they have a new toy to play with and will use it until something else shiny comes along to distract them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not that there's any weather to speak of in Kentuckyana, but if there were. I'm just glad I can work from home.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I drove across Ill a hour ago and there was 10+ semi trucks on their side of jackknifed, they got s decent amount of snow, guessing the 40mph wind with it just did the interstate in, glad to see it was dry by the time I went through.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    almost 60 years living here in Indiana and i have only heard of the "state of emergency, road closures" maybe half a dozen times. Here in northern Indiana we have now had at least 3 in the last two winters. It seems as if they have a new toy to play with and will use it until something else shiny comes along to distract them.

It also depends on who is doing the playing. We had a sheriff several years back who would declare such any time he could draw a 3 foot diameter circle on the ground and three snowflakes fell inside of it.

Top Bottom