• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckmil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Greenfield
    Although it is public information, it seems this sensitive data should have never been released and should be protected by law. This is similar to drivers license data and that database isn't just out there for the taking by asking the DMV. If it's that easy to get the databases then watch out for the mass mailings everyone.

It is hoped the Herald Times obtained this data under commerial agreements since they are selling subscriptions to those who wish to view it. Besides I've heard the State could use the extra funds right now.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Forget contacting the paper who is publishing this information.. our law makers need to do something about this. This isn't right at all. How dare they treat us like registered sex offenders. My main concern is anyone treating this list as if it were some kind of "shopping cart list" to burglarize homes in any area.. it isn't smart at all and it is downright dangerous. I don't mind them giving out information when it comes to how many people carry per county.. but breaking it down street by street is foolish and highly irresponsible of Indiana to make this kind of information public. What in the heck are they thinking.. they need to wake up!

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i contacted my state rep. he replied to my email saying both he and his wife are LTCH holders and that he would look into the matter. probably will amount to nothing, but at least i let him know.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    k97z8i.png

2ypcc5e.png

You can search by county, city or street. You can then see the number of permit holders per street.

That right there is a threat assessment for a criminal. Pick a street with fewer LTCH holders or find a street with none and I have just used information published by the paper to greatly lessen my exposure to an armed homeowner when I break into their home. Thank you HT.

Also...it might have been answered but did anyone who called the ISP about the database ask them about the steps they take to ensure that the database isn't bought by a criminal. Surely a smart criminal can pawn enough stolen stuff to make enough money to purchase the data. Do they do a background check or something?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    That right there is a threat assessment for a criminal. Pick a street with fewer LTCH holders or find a street with none and I have just used information published by the paper to greatly lessen my exposure to an armed homeowner when I break into their home. Thank you HT.

Or you can flip the coin and if you are a criminl looking for guns you know have a nice list that shows you where they are at. Nex is take your time to stake out the street, find out who owns them, what time everyone leaves, etc... and then break in, steal them and re-sell them.

Also...it might have been answered but did anyone who called the ISP about the database ask them about the steps they take to ensure that the database isn't bought by a criminal. Surely a smart criminal can pawn enough stolen stuff to make enough money to purchase the data. Do they do a background check or something?

ANYONE who pays the $32 can obtain the database. ISP is NOT happy having to give the information over but under STATE LAW they have no choice. They don't 'annouce' on their website that you (read anyone) can get th DB but if anyone ask about it they have to provide the info on how to obtain it (ie. pay $32 to get it).

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Hey guys - just wanted to let you know that this morning our Indiana Authorized Journalist Database went online. This will allow residents of Bloomington to make sure that their street is safe and free of reporters.

In all seriousness though, at the link above we've got four members of the HTO's staff and the same information about them that you could find in their carry permit database. The idea here is to demonstrate that just because you can do something with public records doesn't mean you should. I'd love to see our database emailed to them.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I had already emailed the guys in the NRA letter 2 emails. I just sent them another asking for their support in our new database. I also asked if they would be so kind as to publish it on their website. I made sure to let them know if they would like to contribute they'll need to talk to Caleb at the linked website.

I can't honestly believe that you have to register or get an account to view the web content. Who would pay for anything online? You can get anything you need for free. What a stupid policy...I hope they go bankrupt over this.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Sorry to re-post...

I would be up for making some phone calls if someone gets the database. I think it would be eye opening to make a call and say "Hi, my name is X and I know you have a gun permit and I am reasonably sure you have guns. Would you like to know how I know? If not, I'll let you get back to what you were doing." If someone called me like that I would at least be willing to hear what they had to say. Talk about an attention getter!

There are multiple sites online for looking up people's information. If we had street, name, address etc., some of these tools would allow us to find their phone numbers. Here are a few just as an example.

Free People Search | People Finder | Spock
    Free People Search by ZabaSearch!
    Pipl - People Search
    123people
    Google is pretty good too if you have a name and city/state.

Last edited:

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Or you can flip the coin and if you are a criminl looking for guns you know have a nice list that shows you where they are at. Nex is take your time to stake out the street, find out who owns them, what time everyone leaves, etc... and then break in, steal them and re-sell them.

ANYONE who pays the $32 can obtain the database. ISP is NOT happy having to give the information over but under STATE LAW they have no choice. They don't 'annouce' on their website that you (read anyone) can get th DB but if anyone ask about it they have to provide the info on how to obtain it (ie. pay $32 to get it).

On your first reply...this is why this type of public info makes no one safer and increases the risk to everyone in their homes.

Your second reply scares me to death.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yes, by all means, let us politely tell the HT that this is a moronic idea.

However, a better use of our energy is to change the law and remove this database from the public record.

We are wasting valuable effort and time doing anything more than exactly this.

Actually, as sad and irresponsible as the HT is, they have done us a favor in highlighting a serious flaw in Indiana law. Now it's up to us to get it changed!

ckmil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Greenfield
    If by releasing this data, public health and safety are endangered then ISP should be protected from disclosure by one of the nine exemptions or surely by one of three special law enforcement record exclusions in the Freedom of Information Act. I'm no attorney and would prefer not to give them any business, but if the ISP took the "Do What's Right" approach and stop giving out the data, then we could just see what happens.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Don't know if this has been brought up...

...You could contact the advertisers in the B/H and tell them as long as they use the Herald you will not patronize them. Hit them where it hurts...in the back pocket!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have just received the following from Jim Tomes.

Subject: [Patriots] What to do
    Date: Wed, Dec 02, 2009 2:38 pm
    To: "2AP" <patriots@2ndamendmentpatriots.org>
    This letter contains information about several subjects I hope you'll please read it entirely.

Folks I don't like sending e-mails out on a daily basis, but I have received so many letters about the Bloomington, IN Herald Times doing a story about Indiana residents with a license for handguns and publishing that the database for those names and addresses is available for $32.00 from the Indiana State Police, that I need to respond.

Most letters were from folks wanting to know what to do in this matter. First, all of you across the state need to contact your legislators in your area and even those outside your area and demand that legislation be adopted to protect that kind of personal information from being obtained and abused by being published. Rep. Jackie Walorski is going to introduce an amendment this coming session to do just that.

The link here I've been asked to provide to all of you and you'll notice that what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    http://gunnuts.net:80/2009/12/02/ind...list-database/

The NRA is also doing a grassroots alert to Indiana gun owners about this and Ashley Varner, the NRA lobbyist has been working overtime on this.

The next thing we need to do is get our friends involved by letting them know they too need to make some calls. Let's work as a unit. This brings me to another item.

We have a lot of good folks on this e-mail list that may feel that because they live in the northern part of the state and we're down here in the southern part, the distance between us is an obstacle. Let's work on that. I know you guys and you know us, but you might not know each other. Chances are many on the e-mail list may live real close to each other and don't realize it.

I'd like for all those up in the South Bend, Elkhart and Ft. Wayne area and locations near by those cities who are on this e-mail list who don't know each other to connect up.

If you don't mind and would want to do this send me your e-mail addresses and the city you live in, in the body of a letter so that I can copy and paste them. I will try and put you all in touch with each other so that you guys can be more unified. I don't know how else to do this, but since this can act as a clearing house it might work. We can also do the same with those in the middle part of Indiana.

Indiana Senator Johnny Nugent told me yesterday that he will be introducing his carry to the work place bill this year again. It will be assigned as SB. 25.

On another note check out the 2nd Amendment Patriots website www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org about the upcoming Bill Of Rights Day.

Lastly, we were hoping to have our next campaign meeting on Dec.7th. That's been canceled. For all those who have signed up to help on the campaign committee and those who would like to sign on, please call by this weekend 812-985-5473 for new information. Thank you so much.

Jim and Margie
    2nd Amendment Patriots
    STAY UNITED
    www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What if... And this is just a what if...

...someone were to get a hold of the database and should it contain personal names and phone numbers, a group of people start calling those LTCH holders. Direct them to either INGO (Fenway permitting), or a single page website that states further why we called, the Cons of having the database public and such things, and who to contact about getting the law changed?

Would this be a reasonable endeavor?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I am going to be very careful and discreet with this post, so be patient with my lack of specificity.

A core group of Bloomington members (MSG3) met tonight and have set upon a considered and consensus based action which will begin immediately. It is enough to say that we plan to work alongside the Second Ammendment Patriots and are primarily focussed on dealing with this issue at a legislative level, although that is not exclusive.

We will make our efforts more public as the time comes and there will be work for all who are interested, but some groundwork is being laid first to help frame the conversation.

Sadly, this work cannot be done openly on INGO for two reasons: 1. INGO is not a political organizing site, and 2. the ears have walls as the HT is linking to us and for obvious reasons we cannot speak openly.

Please let me know if you want to help and please coordinate your efforts with me at some level if you can. And, please, be very measured in your response to this situation as many are working very hard as of now to solve this situation and you do not want to be the one who made their work harder.

In any event, this is far from over and hopefully before long the rules will be changed. And we will keep everyone updated.

Thank you,
    Techres and crew.

P.S. Nothing I have said here was as a MOD and none of it should be understood in any way as being connected to INGO other than we are all members here.

Top Bottom